It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

hunter6009 HB User
Exclamation Tonsillectomy and Septoplasty done together?

I am trying to find information on having a tonsillectomy and a septoplasty done at the same time. Has anyone had both of these procedures done together? I have mild sleep apnea, and a deviated septum. My ENT says that he has only done these two procedures together on one other patient and she was miserable for 3 weeks. I'm really not sure if I should do just the septoplasty alone, the septoplasty and tonsillectomy together, or the septoplasty now and the tonsillectomy at a later date. I have very mild apnea (an RDI of 8.8) and a mean O2 of 97%. I can hardly breathe out of my right nostril. I do not get strep or tonsillitis, but occasionally my tonsils will swell. My breath can sometimes smell from food particles in my tonsils, as well. I have a lot of fatigue during the day and after sleeping 8 hours, I still wake up tired. I have a son and I really want to have the energy to last all day with him. If I do the surgeries seperate, then I have to be put under anesthesia twice, have 2 hospital stays, and double billing to insurance (and me). If I do them together, I might be doing a surgery that was unnessary (the tonsillectomy), will have to take a lot of time off of work, and will be in intense pain for up to 3 weeks. I am also deeply concerned about the minimal risk of losing my sense of taste and the sensation of taste. My ENT said this was rare, but it seems that people on this website have experienced it much more frequently than "rarely".
Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
(female)

hunter6009 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy and Septoplasty done together?

Anyone? I have to schedule surgery soon!
Thanks!

Old 08-14-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
(male)

peteyby HB User

Hi Hunter - I did mine separately and my advice would be to get it done in one shot, this way you don't have to go through it again (plus doctor's prefer this method - no need to put a patient through 2 surgeries when it can be done with one).

You will need a minimum of 2 weeks to recover and a good 3-4 to feel back to normal (don't rush yourself either - do little by little when you feel better). The septoplasty will work wonders for your nasal breathing (I had a severe deviation to the right and now I can finally breathe through my nose). My tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy and uvula re-constructure were done 6 weeks ago, so the ruling is still out on that (after the septoplasty my tonsil infections got worse, I guess all of the stuff stuck in my nose found a new home in my tonsils, so I am sure that this surgery will help with that) But one thing I can say is - I definitely don't snore anymore and I feel more rested - so I guess my sleep apnea has subsided.

But you are correct - be clear on what can go wrong and discuss it thoroughly with your doctor. I see that you read through our other thread and yes I am having a complication with my taste after my second surgery, so I think it is a valid concern you have and an important discussion you need to have with your doctor.

Best of luck!

-- Pete

Old 09-11-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
(female)

Goldenfawn HB User

Hunter...

I had the nose and tonsils done at the same time. The only drawback I've found is in recoup and figuring out which complication is from which part of the procedure...lol

Post op it sucks cause you can't breath through your nose so you breath threw you mouth which sucks with your throat being sore.

other then that I don't think having both done would be any worse the having them done one at a time...I have three kids and think it's just easier to but them through it once instead of twice.

Let me know if you have any specific questions

Golden

Old 02-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
(female)

anasazii HB User

Has anyone gone through this recently?
I just had both done on Friday...wondered if I was on track w/where I should be on day 5. Also, how long recovery is expected. My doctor told me 2 weeks, but I'm quite skeptical of that estimate.

Janel

Old 02-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
(female)

msmaria1010 HB User

hi, I just had both done on 1/30, so i am day 8 post op. As you must know by now, your nose is kind of blocked so you end up breathing through your mouth a lot. I just made sure to keep the water bottle on my nightstand because my throat would be so dry. But, yesterday, one week after surgery, I went to see my doc and he removed the splints, What a Relief! It felt so great to take a big breath through my nose, can't remember when I've been able to do that! And that itchy feeling that i had in my nose is gone too. So now I can sleep at night breathing through my nose and it feels just great. Now he has me putting bacitracin on a Q-Tip and putting it both nostrils a few times a day, which is soothing too. That made me so happy yesterday that I almost forgot that my tonsil pain was at it's worst. And today even that pain is more tolerable. Hang in there

Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
(female)

msmaria1010 HB User

Janel my doctor mentions that 2 week mark pretty often too. I think that it must be a pretty good average. I am scheduled to go back to work a few days after that (if I feel okay, that is!)

Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 AM   #8
(male)

jp39 HB User

anasazii,

I had these two surgeries together in January 2006. I almost had a thrid surgery (uvulaplasty with trimmed soft palate) but Blue Cross denied it.

I went back to work in 12 days. The Lortab Elixir (liquid) helped me with the pain and allowed me to function. I did not talk very much but did administrative type work for a week and a half.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:17 AM   #9
(male)

guy999 HB User

I just had both procedures done together on Feb 7, 2007.

The entire surgery took approximately 3 hours (730AM TO 1030AM) and was done under general anesthesia.

I am a 23 year old male and am in relatively good health. Non-smoker/drinker. Not overweight and no chronic illnesses or past serious illnesses.

The surgery itself was fairly routine. According to my ENT, he tried a newer technique with the tonsillectomy and this caused the tonsillectomy to take a bit longer than normal. He used sutures to close the wound site and I can feel them on one side. They will dissolve in a few days.

The septoplasty/turbinate reduction was routine and presented no problems. He used splints to keep my septum in place. No need for packing.

Post surgery I felt okay. Just very thirsty. They wouldn't give me water in the recovery room, only ice, which was fine by me. I spent about 45 minutes in the recovery room and then went to a different floor where they gave me some Sprite. After a few sips I did throw up a bit, mainly just Sprite and blood that got ingested during the tonsillectomy. After I threw up, I felt much better. I spent another hour or so in the post-op recovery room.

The nurse wanted to give me something for the pain, but to be truthful, the pain wasn't too bad. Basically like a sore throat. I'm not too keen on taking narcotics in general. I went home at about 1:45 PM, along with my presciption for antibiotics, sucralate, and roxicet (acetominophen/oxycodone).

Post surgery, at home, I didn't feel too poor. I was talking and walking with no problems. My tongue was a little sore from the forceps that were used to keep it in place during the surgery, and the tonsil sites themselves were sore, which is to be expected.

I hadn't eaten in over 16 hours and was fairly hungry. I started off with some soft puddings and they went down fairly easily. I made sure to drink at least 500 mL of water every 1.5 hours.

For dinner, I managed to eat some KFC (original recipe) with mashed potatoes and a biscuit. Best meal of my life since I was starving. Taking small bites and chewing thoroughly prevented the pain from becoming an issue really.

I slept in an elevated position on and off without the use of pain medicaitons. Unless the pain is unbearable, I will not be taking the roxicet. I have been taking the antibiotics as prescribed, since an infection is nothing to laugh at.

Sleeping can be tough, since breathing through your mouth just dries it out and makes the wound sites more painful. Drinking water eases this though.

Post Op-Day 1

I got about 6 hours of sleep. Woke up had some cream of wheat with milk for breakfast. Dozed off again. Woke up and cleaned up and went for a walk outside with my mom. I felt pretty good overall. The throat is still sore but it feels like a typical sore throat one gets with a cold/flu. My septoplasty hasn't resulted in any pain. Just the feel of congestion since I have splints in each nostril and as a result can't blow away mucus/blood. I can only use Q-tips to clear away mucus that is around the opening.

For my other meals, I just had creamed soups with crackers and pudding. Nothing too tough. I made sure to continue drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day, specifically water. I do have apple juice in the fridge but I don't think I'm up to it yet.

Post Op Day 2

Slept for a little while. Woke up, showered and came to school to check my email and send some messages, and of course post this experience. The throat pain isn't too bad. No need for the roxicet and my nose doesn't really hurt.

------------------------------------

Overall, If you are planning on getting a septoplasty/tonsillectomy done, I'd recommend knocking them out in one surgery. The septoplasty is a fairly mild surgery in terms of pain. There really is only discomfort, mainly due to the splints and lack of nose blowing. The tonsillectomy is the more invasive surgery and although it is painful, it's not any worse than a sore throat, so far.

If you do have them both together, drinking fluids will be imperative, since you will be breathing through your mouth, possibly drying out your tonsil wound sites. Keep a water bottle by you and finish it off and refill at regular intervals.

I haven't taken any pain meds yet and have been able to eat fairly regularly. This will vary from person to person.

Constipation post surgery can be a problem. Narcotics can cause constipation. I haven't taken any in recovery but the general anesthesia did cause me to not have bowel movements for 2 days. Milk of magnesia will help. I needed one dose and I was able to go.

I haven't experienced any throat/ear pain, but have read that jaw inactivity can cause this. So chewing can ease this additional pain.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
(female)

msmaria1010 HB User

Well I am at day 14 now of septoplasty and tonsillectomy and I feel almost 100%. Day 12 was really the turning point when i can say that I really noticed that i was myself again. And I would do it over in a minute. But Guy, that is unbelievable that you didn't need roxicet for the first couple of days, I never could have done that. The pain was pretty severe. From the tonsils, I mean. The nose was just the slight discomfort as you had mentioned. And now it feels great, slight sore throat, breathing really well,, swelling down in my throat. The only thing is that small amounts of food get stuck in the holes in the back where the tonsils were. I hear that this will slowly heal over but right now I have to gargle gently with water to rinse out. Appetite not back 100%, which is okay because I wanted to not eat as much as I used to anyway. Food doesn't taste quite as good, but that's okay! I am eating just as i should now. i did not get any constipation from the medication, got the opposite for 3 days and stopped when I started eating real food, toast, etc. Good luck everyone.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
(female)

msmaria1010 HB User

One thing that I forgot to mention to anyone who is getting this procedure is a tip that I got from one of these forums. To prevent nausea, I asked at the hospital, before my surgery, for a scopolamine patch. They put it behind your ear before you go into the OR. I don't know if I would have even got sick or not, but i can tell you that I never had one feeling of being nauseaus in this entire experience. The patch is only good for 24 hours but i woke up from anesthesia and felt fine. (except for throat pain!) I couldn't imagine the feeling of wanting to get sick on top of everything else!

Old 02-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #12
(female)

Marinna75 HB User

Your surgeon may not want to do all the procedures at once because he doesn't get paid the full amount for all of them if he does them all at once. Insurance will pay the full price for one procedure and then only half price for all the rest (if done all at once.) If he seperates them all out into different surgeries, he gets paid the full price on all of them.

Does this make sense?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
(female)

msmaria1010 HB User

no, I don't think that it makes sense. Did you hear this from another doctor? My doctor seemed like it was best to do both surgeries together. But gave me the option to do them seperately if I thought i couldn't handle it. (which I could, I don't regret this). I'd much rather go through the whole anesthesia thing and the inconvenience being home, missing work, etc. all at one time. And I was out and back to work in 2 weeks, feeling pretty close to 100%.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #14
(male)

runsweetride HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anasazii View Post
Has anyone gone through this recently?
I just had both done on Friday...wondered if I was on track w/where I should be on day 5. Also, how long recovery is expected. My doctor told me 2 weeks, but I'm quite skeptical of that estimate.

Janel
I just recently had this done - 8 days ago. I'm a 34 yo male. I feel pretty good - really didn't have terrible throat pain. However, because of this I thought I'd be eating burritos at this point (I'm not) Once the stints were removed from my nose, I was able to breathe like never before. Again, no real pain. Went to my office for the first time yesterday which required me to walk about a mile in 15 deg F weather. Probably shouldn't have done this - severe discomfort in my nose and throat. One thing that I did that I haven't heard mentioned is that I (continued) to drink lots of carbonated water. (I always drink the bubbly stuff). Probably on the order of 100-120 oz of San Pelligrino, Perrier or even La Croix each day. Would love to hear more about your experience.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #15
(female)

sugarandspice HB User

I'm getting ready to have this procedure in April. Well, tonsillectomy, and septorhinoplasty -- (a little cosmetic work on top of the repair). I'm just curious as to when the swelling went down in your nose. I'm returning to work 8-9 days post-op, I hope I don't have this hugely swollen nose!

Closed Thread