It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

Peppermint Patt HB User
Question Four Days After Tonsillectomy ?????

omg........omg....omg.....
A few questions for those of you who have gone through this and responded to my earlier thread.....I don't remember anyone mentioning swelling and pain in your gland area like under your jaw.....that and the ear pain in the most severe....I had a bad reaction to the anethesia and came home with zofran tablets for under the tongue which help immensely..the bad part is they are only every six hours....time is going so slowly......For those of you that had the ear/gland pain which works best...heat or cold? I've been doing well with jello......everything needs to be lukewarm....
I was kidding myself when bravely submitting that I'd been through three c/sections....omg...............I feel like someone opened up a weedwacker in my throat and no...I have not "looked" yet and don't plan to...
Please be honest...are there worse days ahead? I know about the scabs but it that worse pain when they form or when they come off...please advise ASAP.......
And as far as the roxicet liquid goes....lets just say it makes me feel like I"ve been hit by a car instead of a train......no warm and giggly feelings here....

Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
(female)

tatiebug HB User
Re: Four Days After Tonsillectomy ?????

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is going through hell! I had my surgery on Wednesday, three days ago, and I know it is the worst thing I have ever done in my entire life! The pain in my ears and the swelling in my neck is so severe, I think I would cry if it didn't hurt so damned much! I am taking Prednisone and Butorphanol Tantrate Nasal Spray. Neither seems to be doing a darned bit of good. I had read on here to try Cloroseptic, my doctor disagrees, but I have used it a couple times in desperate situations. As far as eating, hah, I think I have eaten one bowl of broth since Wednesday and four billion popsicles! I will never touch another popsicle as long as I live. I'm thankful for this site, it has really helped me alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2005, 11:20 PM   #3
(male)

peteyby HB User

Hi guys - for me a cold ice pack worked the best (but I have heard that heat worked best for others). The hospital gave me a ice pack for home which tied around my neck - I wore that 24/7 for the first couple of days. As for the meds - if you really feel that they are wearing off, then take more as long as you are not overdosing yourself on pain meds - you have to remember that say for instance Roxicet is 2 teaspoons every 4 hours - that is a guideline - everyones body processes differently - mine only lasted a little over 3 hours, so when I felt the pain get bad a re-upped my meds - this was under doctor's instructions - so feel free to ask your doctor if it would be ok to step up the dose if you are feeling bad.

Pattie - best not look in your throat - its not pretty. My Dr. had a good analogy on my 1st follow-up appointment - he said "basically its like me throwing a grenade in your mouth!!!"

Better days are definitely ahead, so hang in there and don't push yourself - just know that every day gets you closer to this all being over

Old 08-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
(male)

guy0611 HB User

You are doin great Patt!! Ear pain for me wasn't *too* bad...most days (I say that because I'm not experiencing it anymore, at the time I'm certain I thought I was going to pass out...lol), but I always had an ice pack around my neck...the one they sent home with me was the best, but I also got a generic one from Target (so that I could put a new one on every time I took my pain meds). It's been 2.5 weeks since my surgery and it still aches/hurts when I yawn, but other than that I'm all better! I think my recovery took longer than most tho... a friend of mine had it done before me and he was healed after 9 days.

P.s. You should look at it... it's really interesting! lol I checked mine every day.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
(female)

Peppermint Patt HB User

The scabs.....I think they are here...I awoke this morning with my throat feeling covered in a huge goo....The only thing I am able to eat is jello....and that is at room temperature....Early on I did noodles..like the second day but no way on that...it gets stuck now....
Here is another question...my surgery was on Wed...so does that mean I am on day 5? Please tell me yes....
I've found those herbal rice packs, cold...work the very best on my neck & head.....My husband has been great....
I am very nervous because I only have one more zofran tablet left and about three teaspoons of the roxicet....when I am on the pain meds the pain is getting manageable....I have a full bottle of tylelnol w/codeine but don't want to even try it...I think the percocet would be stronger and more effective....Another thing not to be graphic is diarrhea...I know a lot of you said about being constipated but I am the opposite maybe it's the zofran...
this totally sucks but I keep thinking I am five days ahead and closer to healing than someone who has not had it done yet..right?
Please keep up the encouraging words.....

Old 08-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
(female)

Peppermint Patt HB User

tatiebug,
I think I had a huge shot of steroids in the hospital....my face was so swollen I look like rosie odonell with blond hair....my neck too but it is slowly coming down...I feel for you having it done the same exact day....please keep posting..it is helpful for me to read along with people who have/are going through this to know there is an end in sight.....My husband says to me on the third day, "Hon..why don't you go sit outside on the porch (mind you we're in a heatwave here and it's about 100 degrees with 90% humitidity).....If I'd had a shovel I would have hit him.......

Old 08-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #7
(female)

Peppermint Patt HB User

omg...I cannot imagine using anything up my nose or any kind of spray.....don't you have any pain meds???????????????????????????? I'm also taking 500 mg of lysine 3x per day to promote healing.....
i'll check back on tomorrow....just being on the computer hurts...

Old 08-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
(male)

peteyby HB User

Hi Patt - I had the same thing w/ the diareah. The alcohol in the roxicet may be the culprit. If you still have it when you finish your roxicet and zortab - then follow-up with your doctor and your general practioner.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #9
(female)

Peppermint Patt HB User

update.....
Last night was horrific...it seems that I get a patch during the day where I am ok for an hour and then plunge after that...this am when I "woke up"..not that I even sleep anymore I felt a little bit less pain in the back...it feels all murky with loads and loads of thick mucous stuff but not that stabbing pain....about 1-2 per hour I get that weird stabbing tinge in the back of my throat/ear. My tongue is thick and furry...Swallowing actually seems less painful dare I jinx myself and say that....today is day 6....do you think I could be heading towards healing and will feel better now each day? I am nervous about this fake sense of security feeling a tad better...and then waking with screaming pain that is unmanageable...I am also out of zofran so now it's a free for all for puking..please advise...be honest...but just respond someone..it makes me feel better to hear from anyone

Old 08-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #10
(male)

peteyby HB User

You will start to come into your own in the second week and each day will get better - don't worry you are doing great!!!!. Just keep drinking and listen to your body - do things little by little and build up your stamina again - don't try to over do it.

If you are still on the Roxicet - see if your doctor will switch you to a pill pain killer - it may help to curb the stomach and nausea problems. You will probably be able to get the pill form down no problem.

Last edited by peteyby; 08-15-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
(female)

tatiebug HB User

I had my surgery on Wednesday as well, and I do hope its day five too. I woke up today with those nasty scabs today as well. Boy was I happy, thats one step closer to being over this. Im suprised you already had a follow up appointment, my doctor doesn't even want to see me until next week! How old are you? I am 28 and I was told to stay on basically complete bedrest, although I can't, until the two weeks are up. The doctor mentioned that my throat was too narrow and if I would start to bleed, I could lose my larnyx so since I love to sing, I figure I will do my best. This is impossible to do when the only thing hurting is your throat and ears. Speaking of which, man do they ache. The nurse did tell me today not to use heat, it countereacts with the ice packs and basically does more bad than good, although I must say I disagree, I have noticed it eased the pain some in my ears as opposed to make matters worse, but what do I know.

Have you had much help? Luckily, I have my parents taking care of my 6 yr old girl and 1 yr old boy. I'm on my own at home, but thats okay, I haven't felt much like talking anyway. My husband is currently stationed in Iraq so I am really thankful to have my parents here for me. Anyway, good luck!

Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
(female)

tatiebug HB User

haha Im so drugged up Im sorry I am new here so I entirely missed the 2nd page of discussion and I feel kinda foolish. No WONDER I didn't see any mention of what I wrote! ANYWAY, I have no idea why they prescribed this to me. I asked for an alternative, but they were very adament that this is the strongest pain meds that they can prescribe. The nurse doesn't realize that it does absolutely NOTHING for pain, but plenty for getting high. The med is Butorphanol Tartrate (Stadol) and it is SUPPOSED to be 3x stronger than morphin in this concentrated dosage via the nasal, so says the nurse and what little searching I have done on here to try to understand what they like about it. I'm telling you, it sucks. Maybe its just me, but normally I'm pretty low tolerance, Dy***** will have me sleeping for hours! This medicine, as soon as I squirt it up my nose, I immediately feel high and stay that way for probably the first hour. Thats certainly not good. Since I don't particularly like that, I choose to stay in pain as opposed to legally getting high I suppose. Just not my cup of tea. Yet, I call and explain, and ask for an alternative, and they tell me to just use cold packs and they can't prescribe anything else. GREAT. I must say though, I quit smoking throughout this ordeal due to the pain, and I plan on staying stopped, so at least this is one added bonus to the ordeal. Anyway, thanks for your replies and I hope all is going well.

Old 08-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #13
(female)

Peppermint Patt HB User

I think today is the day my scabs are coming off or this whole thing has been a horrific nightmare and I am really only on day 2 b/c that is what the pain feels like....gobs and gobs of crap in my throat...my entire tongueis white....is this common or is it thrush??? All of the scabs, skin and crap is getting stuck on my tongue like it's velcro

Old 08-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #14
(male)

peteyby HB User

The tongue is normal - I was told that it may be a result of the meds, as well as lack of fluid. To tell you the truth, my tongue is still not back to normal after 6 weeks.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #15
(female)

tatiebug HB User

My scabs started coming off today too. The pain is almost unbearable too. My tongue is regular in color though. I have lost probably ten pounds throughout this ordeal, and that was just the amount I needed to lose so thats one great bonus. My ear pain is what is mostly irritating of all. Noises are driving me insane. I could just curl up and cry if it didnt hurt so bad to do so. Once the scabs start coming off, how many more days of immense pain is generally left?? Thanks

Closed Thread