It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

presstime HB User
Question Tonsillectomy - 45 Years Old and Afraid, Help

I am new to this site and posting, but I am looking for anyone who has recently had tonsillectomy with the new coblation technique. I am supposed to have my tonsils & adnoids removed in a few weeks and no one I have talked to has had anything encouraging to say. I am 45 years old....I know a bit old to be having a tonsillectomy, but I suffer from tonsil stones and they are driving me insane, not to mention I have chronic tonsillitus and my ENT Doc said to get rid of them. I am ready, but I am also afraid. Can someone tell me what to expect pain wise, how long will I be off work, what the surgery is like, etc.?

Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
(male)

jimmyhonda HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy - 45 Years Old and Afraid, Help

Hi, presstime, there's plenty of posts about tonsilectomy under the main catergory "open to all health topics", try have a look at it. It's above "general health".

hope thats help. as for the pain, hope you have soluble paracetamol in handy at home... that helps ease the pain..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Hi. I'm 36 and I had my tonsils removed in March. I had a relatively quick recovery. Mine was done by cauterization, which is supposed to have a longer recovery time than coblation. I was feeling better by day 3 and up and around doing things by day 5. I constantly kept my throat numb with icy water. Make sure you stay hydrated and drink as much water as possible. That is most important. Also try to get as much nutrition as possible. Everyone's recovery seems to be different, but hopefully you will have a quick recovery like I did! Good luck. You will be very glad after it's over. I'm so happy to have gotten rid of those nasty tonsils.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

presstime HB User

Thanks so much mom22. Your information makes me feel much better. My ENT told me this coblation technique is supposed to less pain and a quicker recovery. It's just a bit scary at my age, but my tonsils are driving me crazy, not to mention the many cases of tonsillitus I have. Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Inactive

CDauthier HB User

Presstime,

I'm 53 and just had mine out the old fashioned way in June of this year. Even though it wasn't coblation, it was very "doable" with the right combinations of meds. My doc prescribed cortizone, an antibiodic, a med for thrush, a liquid numbing medicine, and a pill that was a combination of demerol and phenegran (for naueau). I had to call and ask for lortab as the demerol was not strong enough, but really helped because it had the anti-nausea med in it. I found that I didn't have most of the problems others experienced such as swelling because of the cortizone, etc..

Don't worry about being 45...you're still a baby! Seriously, it was the best thing I ever did and would do it again in a heartbeat if they freakishly grew back. Before having my tonsils out, I seriously thought it was normal for my throat to hurt each time I swallowed.

The site that Jimmyhonda mentioned above is really great....it'll help you a lot. The last time I looked at it, there were several who had the coblation technique so I'm sure you'll pick up a lot of good tips and info.

Good luck and by all means go for it....you'll be glad you did!

Cathy

Closed Thread