It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #1
(female)

taratingers HB User
Question recovering from tonsillectomy

hello.
im 16 years old and had my tonsils removed this morning. i guess im fortunate enough to be up and at the computer. but im in an enormous amount of pain.

i had a few questions.
first off, i was wondering if everyone's uvula (the little thing that dangles in the middle of the back of your throat..in front of the tonsils) dangles down REALLY far. i cant even see the end of it. not only has it freaked me out a bit, but its made it impossible for me to spit up loogies and i have gaged on it a few times. i was wondering if its going to stay that way, or if it'll go back to normal.
oh yes, i have been spitting up a lot. my mouth is constantly filled with spit and whatnot, and its kind of a pain to have to get up and spit it out all the time, because it hurts way too much to swallow it.
im so hungry, but terrified to eat anything. so far ive just eaten half a pint of ice cream, but i dont fill up on it and it gets a little boring after awhile. should i wait until i feel a bit more comfortable with eating and drinking?

and any tips on how anyone else recovered or dealt with the pain afterwards, that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 12-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
(female)

luci HB User
Re: recovering from tonsillectomy

Hi!

I had my tonsils out on 12/5 and I am almost fully recovered 3 weeks later. I didn't have a very rough time, but it wasn't easy...

Here's what helped:

Chewing Gum! Chew, spit and swallow the spit, you have to force yourself to swallow, or else it gets worse.

The uvula will swell alot, I don't know why, but it does, mine is back to normal now. It just takes time.

Let me know if you have more questions.

don't forget to swallow, swallow, swallow!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

yellow10 HB User

i'm scheduled for March 1st for a tonsillectomy. I've been reading posts for awhile here, and I think it will be very helpful to me, as far as what to expect! I plan on posting once i've had it done!

Old 02-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

boozle HB User

hi,
I had my tonsils out at 14, I am now 22. This is what I remember about the experience:
It was painful afterward, but Drs really encourage u to eat and swallow
I had it done in the UK, where they have a National Health Service, great because its all free (UK rocks), but bad because they like to save you money by sending u home early (the next morning). On the 2nd/3rd day I kept feeling as though something big was in my throat and would eventually cough up a big blood clot (gross and horrible!). By the 3rd/4th night I woke up with a small puddle of blood on my pillow, and my parents took me to the Drs where I was addmitted to hospital. I had an infected throat, I was hospitalised for 4 - 5 days. I didn't eat very much at all, I was really dehydrated when I went in, but felt alot better once fluids were inside me.
I fully recovered, but still get painful swollen glands once or twice a year (nothing as bad as severe tonsilitus). At he moment I've got a really sore throat, so bad that I came on this site! I;m living in America and miss the luxury of just popping into the Drs without the worry of filling in a million 'insurance' forms.. sigh.
Well, hope this hasn't scared anyone, just to let you know to look after urselves after the op, and keep swallowing!!

xxx

Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

travkrisjas HB User

I had my tonsils out in November. Now, I have a clear blister that keeps coming up in the exact same place everytime. Its just to the upper left of where my right tonsil used to be. I never had this until about a month after my surgery. It comes up and then it goes back down. It get really big sometimes. Has anyone else experienced this, or know what it could be?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
(female)

lolo2345 HB User

Hey im 17 and i just had a tonsillectomy 2 days ago. i went in expecting the worst rather than better which i think prepared me a little. What happened to me was that they drugged me up before they put me under, gave me pain killers and a pill for my nerves which made me ridiculously high, but anyways afterwards i spat a lot of blood and threw up blood, which was probably the worst of it all, besides the pills they stick up your bum, but you get used to that. already iv been eating soup and noodles and i noticed that just sucking on ice really helps and feels nice applesauce is yummy too. make sure to sip water alot! u dnt have to take big gulps, just little ones so that your throat does not dry out too much, and DO NOT SNEEZE, i sneezed today and it hurt soo bad. so make sure ur not sick beforehand. GOOD LUCK to others with the same thing

Old 04-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
(female)

susan68 HB User

I had my tonsils out on 4/23. Every day I think the pain will lessen and it doesn't. Lots of mucous which is painful to swallow so a lot of spitting. Some things I've found helpful when the pain is intense (and not time yet for the real pain meds): Chloroseptic strips. I cut them in two and place them on the right and left side of my throat. Also chloroseptic spray and cepacol lozenges. Cold ice packs on the neck and hot showers help too. Thanks for this message board. Whenever I want to curl up and die, I know I'm not alone!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #8
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Unhappy Re: recovering from tonsillectomy

Hi guys. I just had my tonsils removed early yesterday morning and also went in expecting the worst. I've so far been plesantly suprised. The pain is tolerable unless I have to swallow. The mucus is also becoming an issue for me (gross, I know lol). I'm having a really hard time sleeping tonight, partially due to me sleeping all day. I've tried ice packs that helped until they melted, throat drops, sipping water like a mad woman, and am currently eating some sorbet. How does one get rid of that horrible drainage? That is my worst issue right now and would reeeeeeally like to get some sleep! Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Old 05-01-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You shouldn't eat ice cream after your tonsillectomy. Probably the reason why you're having to spit so much is due to the ice cream. Not sure if you knew this but any dairy product is going to cause excess mucous production, which in turn is going to make you feel like you have to spit more.

You're better off sticking to clear stuff like jello, applesauce, baby food, popscicles, stuff like that.

It's really a bad idea to go for ice cream or yogurt after a tonsillectomy. I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you this!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:08 AM   #10
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User

I'm not having to spit, but I am having problems with mucus, and I'm sure you're right in that the dairy stuff doesn't help. The sheet my doctor gave me that talked about post-op care suggested eating ice cream the first day, but staying away from chocolate, or anything red that might resemble blood. I will cut out the ice cream and see if that helps with the mucus issue. Thanks for the advice Kszan!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
(female)

Chimpette HB User
Wink Re: recovering from tonsillectomy

Heya Im on day 8 and my Uvula is still hanging really low. But its a little shorter than yesterday so I think it might start going down from today onwards. Hang in there, my recovery so far has not been too bad at all. I was on ice cream for the first two days, but like you Ive gotten sick of it.
I was told to eat as normal which I have done, eat crisps and bread (chew very well though before you swallow). Eating normal food will help the wound harden up quicker.
Sip water through the day is the best thing. Hope you get well soon! x

Tonsils ---->

Old 05-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #12
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Talking Re: recovering from tonsillectomy

Thanks Chimpette! It's so great to hear that not everyone has a horrible recovery. I was scared to death to get my tonsils out because of all the horror stories I had read, but so far it's not been as bad as I had expected. Not comfortable by any means, but not as awful as I had read about. Hope your recovery continues to be a good one! Fingers crossed for me too lol.

Amen on the tonsils! lol

Old 05-02-2007, 04:43 AM   #13
(female)

Cozzie HB User

Hello all

I had my out on thursday.....26/4/07

so i guess im 6 days in....

When i came round i was able to eat and drink straight away..i had toast and everything and belive me i was SO terrified...i thought it wud get worse but hasnt yet...

been eating everythin....still expecting worse???

my family think that as i had SUCH ACUTE tonsilitus and a quincey that this pain doesnt compare so i am used to it? i dont know

but today, day six, i can still eat BUT it started to sting a little bit, i looked in to find some scabs on my throat...that normal?

its still fine to swallow etc so gonna stick to soft foods today

but all in all my experience has been ok! apart from having to stay with my mum for a week or so GGRRR hahaha

shud i expect more pain as the scabs fall???? i have kept away from to milky things so i dont get flem and brushed my teeth with a baby toothbrush to keep fresh, and tongue

xxxx hope your all ok xxxx

Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #14
(female)

MistyMoo2 HB User

Hi Cozzie,

You're doing well! Day 6 and not much pain. That's great. Maybe expect some more pain in the next couple of days. By day 10 you should be almost there with the recovery. Well done! I definitely think eating a normal diet helps.

AC

Old 05-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #15
(female)

xKieBabyx HB User
Unhappy Re: recovering from tonsillectomy

Hey guys. It's going into day 3 for me and right now I feel horrible! I don't know what has happened in the last few hours, but it seems like my pain meds are wearing off faster than they were before. Is this normal? I'm using ice packs on my neck, and drinking warm honey tea, but I still have another hour before I can take any more meds. I guess my question is how soon is it "supposed" to get worse? I would think day 3 would be pretty early, yeah?

Closed Thread