It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

beaniebengal HB User
Esophagus closed up

Hi, I'm hoping someone will have had a similar experience and be able to explain what happened to me a couple of days ago. I had just started to eat my dinner, after a couple of bites I felt like I was going to get hiccups (which I sometimes do when I start to eat) so I stopped eating and waited a bit. Then I tried to have a few sips of water thinking that would ease the feeling. But when I tried to swallow it felt as if the top of my esophagus was completely closed, and nothing would go down. It didn't feel like there was any food stuck, when I didn't try to swallow my throat felt fine. But there was a really unpleasant feeling at the back of my throat when I tried to swallow. This continued for a few seconds and then the little bit of food I had started to eat came back up, with a lot of mucus. It wasn't like vomiting, it was as though the food hadn't even got as far as my stomach. After this my throat was fine again. I didn't have any trouble breathing while this was going on, and I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of. It hasn't happened again, but I'm afraid it will, and it makes me nervous when I eat or drink.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
(female)

trittsneighbor HB User
Re: Esophagus closed up

people get hiccups when they swallow to much air when eating, in which you sound like you do a lot. Be sure to eat with your mouth closed, and eat slowly. Sometimes acid reflux can make you feel as if you have a lump in your throat if its bad enough. If it is too bad though, I would see a doctor about it. They can do a couple of test to make sure nothing serious going on, then prescribe you something like prevacid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
(male)

skinnypants HB User

I have had that very experience - twice over a period of 3 months. Both of mine involved large pieces of meat and no doubt my ravenous appetite on both occasions had some impact. I don't think it has anything to do with hiccups as a cause. I believe that's a reflex action because food is stuck. I eventually threw up several times to get everything out then drank a bit of maalox. I could tell immediately when my esophagus opened up. I was on the phone wih an MD friend and he couldn't understand what I was talking about either. I felt fine right afterwards. It is an extremely uncomfortable feeling.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
(female)

mskat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniebengal
Hi, I'm hoping someone will have had a similar experience and be able to explain what happened to me a couple of days ago. I had just started to eat my dinner, after a couple of bites I felt like I was going to get hiccups (which I sometimes do when I start to eat) so I stopped eating and waited a bit. Then I tried to have a few sips of water thinking that would ease the feeling. But when I tried to swallow it felt as if the top of my esophagus was completely closed, and nothing would go down. It didn't feel like there was any food stuck, when I didn't try to swallow my throat felt fine. But there was a really unpleasant feeling at the back of my throat when I tried to swallow. This continued for a few seconds and then the little bit of food I had started to eat came back up, with a lot of mucus. It wasn't like vomiting, it was as though the food hadn't even got as far as my stomach. After this my throat was fine again. I didn't have any trouble breathing while this was going on, and I don't have any allergies that I'm aware of. It hasn't happened again, but I'm afraid it will, and it makes me nervous when I eat or drink.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

mskat HB User

could be acid reflux /

Closed Thread