It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
(female)

law487 HB User
Re: Tenderness/Pain in front of neck on right side of windpipe - Why?

I to have pain and tenderness in my neck, but I have it on both sides and it hurts really bad its in the middle of my neck right infront of my ear of course down almost the my shoulders. I also have High Blood Pressure and my doc says I have muscle spasms in my shoulders and back of my neck. I am really concered about it! I fell it anytime i stretch or move my neck. kind of makes me feel like i have an ear infection but i know i do not. Any Ideas!! Plz help and Ty

Old 12-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #17
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

Since I posted, I have had Xrays of my neck. Seems this is arthritis complicated by inflammation and muscle spasms in the large muscle in the top of the shoulder than runs from the the neck up near the ear and jaw. I have been in physical therapy for 3 weeks This will take time. Some days are better than others. Posture is also a factor. Sit up strait and be aware when using the computer! I also have popping in my neck that therapists say is air between the vertibrae in the neck. It's literally a real pain in the neck!!!! My doctor also prescribed muscle relaxants that help some. Anti-inflammatories can also help but I have a stomach condition so I take Tylenol and use heat. I have also previously seen and ENT who assured me I didn't have any growths or problems with lymph nodes. I would check with your Dr. about therapy if this doesn't subside soon. I hope this is helpful to you. I don't think this is something that goes away very quickly.

SandraL46

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #18
(female)

law487 HB User

Well I know that I did have swollen lymph nodes hours 2 months ago but it just really hurts. Since I posted this this morn. It has gotten so much worse it's all the way down my shoulder now I do take some inflammatory pills and I am out I guess u don't realize how much it helps till it's gone then. Lol Ty so much I hope u also from bett3r soon keep me updated and I will u once again. TY

Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

Ty,
You need to see a Dr.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
(female)

theirmommie72 HB User

i have this as well. been taking ibuprofen for it. hadn't taken any in awhile yesterday and went to bed. the pain woke me up at 11pm . it was really bad. the pain is spreading to under my ear in the jaw area. i have to not sleep on that side of my face. been feeling run down and sick since i have had this. what could it be? i can't feel that there is anything wrong with my teeth. but the pain is now in that area in the back of my left jaw. feels weird like a tooth thing now. at first it was just in my neck. anyone?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #21
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

Could be a swollen gland or a bad tooth. Is the pain sharp or dull? If it is sharp I would think maybe a tooth problem but a dull pain could be glandular or muscular. I would check with your Dr. There is a large muscle in the shoulder than runs up into the neck, ear and jaw area. Maybe inflammation in that muscle. If anti-inflammatories are not helping it's worth a check with your Dr. My problem does not prevent me from laying on that side and is not tender to the touch.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
(female)

AddisMom HB User

I see this goes back to 2008 but wanted to know if anyone ever figured out what caused this and if anyone has the symptoms i do. This has been going on for me for almost 9 months now so i'm beyond tired and desperate to figure this out and get rid of this pain. Mine started with pain down the left side of my neck and sharp pains into my left arm. I went to my dr and she claimed it was anxiety and wanted to put me on meds. I then switched drs and my new dr said it sounded like a pulled muscle and to get a deep tissue massage. After my first visit the pain down my arm was gone. My massage therapist said my scm and scalenes were major tight and my scalenes were probably pinching a nerve and the massage loosened the muscles around the nerve. Well during all this the pain down my arm was gone but i still continued to have pain down side of neck and right up against my throat and i would have pain right up under my ear and behind my jaw and a weird feeling in my throat. At times it seems to not hurt too bad and other times it flares up and the scm muscle on the side of my neck can actually be seen sticking out and it feels larger on that side as well. Ive been to an ent as well and theyve looked down my throat and it was inflamed some, she thinks mostly because of my anxiety over this and her input was muscle tension. Ive seen my dr so many times over the months ive lost count and everytime i get her to feel around because im so scared of something being in there like cancer and she always says she never feels anything except extremely tight muscles.
This has gone on so long now (and i had to quit seeing massage therapist because couldnt afford it anymore) that the muscles on the side of my neck are now stringy feeling and hard as a rock. Is this normal? My massage therapist threw out there that maybe there is a nerve being pinched and thats causing those muscles to be constantly tight and my jaw on that side also cracks a little when i open my mouth and it feels tight when opening as well.
Ive never seen a chiropractor but im gonna try one next week to see what they thinks going on. Also forgot to mention my dr wanted to rule out thyroid so ive had the blood work done and that was normal as well as an ultrasound on it and my thyroid looks normal as well.....and they said there was nothing abnormal showing up around that area on the ultrasound as well. Ent also gave me a swallow test to ease my mind as far as throat goes and that was normal too.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #23
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

I have been going to physical therapy for this for 4 weeks now. ENT says my throat looks normal, my ears are clear. I do have muscle tension in the large muscle in the shoulder that runs up into the neck, ear and jaw area. No pain in my arm. Xrays showed arthritis but I also have popping in my neck that drives me crazy and the dull pain is very annoying. I understand the popping is caused from air between the vertibrae. Ok, then how do we get rid of the air????? I went for an MRI today and will have results the beginning of next week. I will post the results. No one thinks this is something very serious and that's a good thing but is painful. Heat helps. I have postponed going to a chiropractor as a last resort. Am leary of putting my neck in someone's hands . . .

Last edited by SandraL46; 01-06-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
(female)

AddisMom HB User

This might also be helpeful to some but it seems everyone is mentioning the same muscle (as well as this is the main one im having trouble with). The one that runs from your collarbone up the side of the neck to the bone behind your ear....this in short is the SCM muscle. It has two parts and if you google it you will find lots of info about the crazy problems you can have from having tension in this one muscle. It seems like once you have problems with one muscle though it spreads to others as they are so close in that area of the neck.
My dr also said that when you have problems with your neck muscles being overly tight (especially SCM muscle) it can pull on your jaw and this creates a whole new problem of something called TMJ and then all they do is play off each other. You cant get rid of it until you fix both, which is what she thinks is going on with me. For the past week my neck wasnt so bad but today has been awful with sharp pains going up the side of my neck and sharp pains into my ear on that side as well. I have no clue what flares it up to keep it from doing this as all day my jaws have been so tight and sore too.
Sandra does your neck make cracking noises now when moving it? Since all this started my neck "pops" quite a bit and ive searching that can also happen from tight neck muscles.

Last thing (sorry this is long, ive almost become obsessed with figuring this out) but when i "flex" (strain) my neck(where the muscles on the sides tense up and stick out) my left side which is where all my pain is cannot move if that makes any sense. When i showed this to massage therapist and dr they were stumped and thought it was something with my nerves going on.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

My neck pops a lot and it is very annoying. My pain in not sharp but a dull ache. I know my shoulders are the areas where I carry stress and I have a lot of it. Thanks for the info. I will check this out on Google. Hope you find some relief!!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
(female)

AddisMom HB User

Anyone get any answers yet?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
(female)

Asg1987 HB User

Hi All

I had severe sore throat 1week back. Although it has become very less, But still I have cough and cold. Recently for past two days I am experiencing a pain in the side of my neck, kind of near the front. Can both be related and be symptoms of throat infection?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #28
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

Your neck pain could be from a virus affecfting your lymph glands in the neck. I finally got relief from physical therapy which included massage and ultrasonic heat therapy. An Xray also determined the upper part of my spine in the neck area was tilted in the wrong direction and is probably the cause of an inflammed muscle that runs down the side of the face, neck and shoulders. At this point, my pain is gone. I still have some popping when I turn my head but no pain with that. I can certainly live with that. It took a while to find the right treatment so hang in there and check with your Dr. if your pain persists.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #29
(female)

Asg1987 HB User

Thanks a lot... for the reply

Closed Thread