It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
(male)

SirMack HB User
Tenderness/Pain in front of neck on right side of windpipe - PLS Help!

I have had a pain on the front of my neck on the right side of my body just by the windpipe. Its been like this for approximately 3 weeks now gotten better, then worse and now better again, but it still hurts.

Anyone have any idea what it could be??? I tried searching for it but I didn't come up with anything.

Is it anything I should be concerned about?

I would appreciate any help that can be given.

Thank you!

Last edited by SirMack; 02-24-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 02:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

iyami HB User
Re: Tenderness/Pain in front of neck on right side of windpipe - Why?

is it in your neck like near where guys attomaple would be, or up below your jawbone?

if its below your jaw boneits your thyroid gland pr lymph nodes acting up, and its nothing to worry about (sorry, i always get thsoe two mixed up..)
if its lower.. i dont know what it could be

Last edited by iyami; 02-26-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
(male)

SirMack HB User

Thanks for the response!

Well, its been hurting for probably close to 6 weeks, getting pretty bad at times and other times it being just a light dull ache and a few times it totally vanished.

The pain seems to be close to the middle of my neck and on the right side of the windpipe. I can't "feel" anything there, but it does ache.

I wonder if it could be vitamins I'm taking or something???

I take a multi-vitamin, an eye vision vitamin, glucosomine/condrotin, Vitamin A, and a green tea pill typically throughout the week.

Any help would be appreciate. I don't have insurance, but if I did go to the doctor I am sure they want to do numerous test and it would be very expensive.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
(female)

junior0317 HB User
Red face Re: Tenderness/Pain in front of neck on right side of windpipe - Why?

Just wondering if you have any other symptoms with your neck pain, like jaw pain or headaches? Are you still have problems or did it go away? I am having similar neck pain and was wondering what you found out if anything.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
(female)

catlover101 HB User
Re: Tenderness/Pain in front of neck on right side of windpipe - PLS Help!

All,

I'm pretty sure it's a bacterial infection.

This just happened to me -- exactly the same way -- and that was the diagnosis.

I suddenly, out of nowhere had a pain on the front of my neck (slightly to the side). I hadn't injured it or twisted it or anything -- it was just all the sudden. I couldn't tell whether it was a muscle or a "spot" -- but it hurt. And it stayed hurting for weeks. Sometimes it would seem to go away, but then it would come back worse. And sometimes it would seem to "spread" to other parts of the front and sides of my neck. Naturally, I feared the worst! (Especially cause I smoke sometimes.)

Well -- I finally went to the doctor and she completely reassured me. (Although of course she says I should try not to smoke!) But this had nothing to do with that.

She said it happens all the time -- she sees it every day. You get a really bad bacterial cold/flu/infection and you don't even feel sick yet. All that happens is a pain in the front of your neck. That's your lymph node screaming. (And it may be a deep lymph node so you might not be able to feel it when you're poking around.) But it causes pain. And then another lymph node gets set off. Etc etc.

She gave me antibiotics and sent me home, and that was the end of it! Told me if it ever happens again, I'll know not to panic.

In my case, she was right. So I wanted to share in case that's helpful to anyone else!

The Following User Says Thank You to catlover101 For This Useful Post:
LGGMOM (05-24-2012)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
(female)

ake HB User

all-
thanks so much for your posts, I can't believe I found anything on the internet about this. I was suffering from allergies for about 10 days when I noticed this terrible pain on the side of my adam's apple. I had lymph node pain before but was always a little higher on my neck, closer to my jaw bone. This was totally different, just like you guys describe. I, too, was scared about the big 'c', until I read this. I thought it was related to the allergies, but I was still scared because I smoke sometimes too. I even talked with a pharmacist about it, asking about decongestants. She said, probably not a congestion problem and to see a dr. right away. Well, that of course, freaked me out. But, glad to see others have had this pain, and is harmless. Although, I will still see a doc-cause it hurts pretty bad, and if antibiotics are the answer then I will need them asap! But thanks for easing my mind some, now I can at least get some sleep! Thanks!

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
(male)

rock75 HB User

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your condition. I wish you all the best.
I have the similar symptoms and my doc all kind of blood tests for Thyroid etc.; referred me to ENT, but nothing came. My pain is moving around the front of neck, under jaw in the cheeck bone, but area near my windpipe is always tender; sometimes more and sometime less and sometimes gone.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

did they do an ultrasound of your thyroid?
you might have thyroid nodules, or a swelled up thyroid

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
(female)

crossilli HB User

I have had a pain on the front of my neck on the right side of my body just by the windpipe. Its been like this for approximately 3 weeks now gotten better, then worse and now better again, but it still hurts.
This too has been going on for at least six weeks. It seems like it went away completely and now it is back and seems slightly worse. Pian in mild and intermittent and seems to appear when I touch the right side of my lower windpipe. I am a registered nurse and imagine the worse..
I am afraid to see a Dr , but realize I need to.
Just looking to see if others have experienced and what the results were?
Thanks..

Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #10
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

I also have had pain in my neck on the right side next to the top of the windpipe and under the jaw. The pain radiates up into my ear and I have headaches and the back of my neck aches also. It also hurts when I swallow. I have been to the ENT 2 times and and he can't find anything suspicious and assured me I have nothing serious. I am concerned as this has been going on for 2 months. It hurts off and on but worse later in the day and evening. I have heard this can be caused from stress but am still worried that it has been bothering me for this long. I really would like a CT Scan to ease my mind. Any comments??

Old 09-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
(female)

palmyrafan HB User

I have pain on the right side of my neck near my windpipe, usually when I yawn. The pain is excruciating and I also have difficulty swallowing sometimes. I also have headaches on the right side of my head, usually accompanied by right neck pain, usually behind my right ear.

This all started earlier this year after I was diagnosed with hyponatremia (underactive thyroid) and underactive adrenal glands and started taking Prednisone and Synthroid. Prior to the diagnosis, I had no experienced neck pain and/or the pain associated with the yawning.

Not sure what is going on, but all my docs have assured me it is not related to my brain cancer, rather they believe it is caused by my medication?

Interesting.

The Following User Says Thank You to palmyrafan For This Useful Post:
SandraL46 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
(female)

Niya00 HB User

I just left the doctor with the same symptoms and she said it was due to acid building up and irrtiating my throat especially when I lay down to sleep. Funny thing is I have absolutely no heartburn whatsoever. I was diagnosed with Gastritis in month and a half ago and was told at that time that my stomach was producing excess acid and given prevacid. Spoke to my friend who is an ENT because it sounded so strange that acid could come all the way up my throat yet i feel no discomfort and she said it happens all the time. If any of you are experiening any type of stomach related problems, or have ulcers, etc this may be why your throat is hurting too. Good luck all!

Old 09-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
(female)

palmyrafan HB User

I actually take 2 Pepcid AC a day, breakfast and lunch so I wouldn't think this would be happening but I will ask my docs.

Thanks!

Teresa

Old 09-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
(female)

SandraL46 HB User

The pain also runs to the back side of my neck. I really don't think it's from acid reflux although I have started taking Omeprazol. I think I need an Xray or a CT scan just to rule out anything serious. Also the pain is worse later in the day and evening. It's not like a regular sore throat - more like a sore gland but no swelling of the gland. I need to visit my primary care Dr. Thanks for your replies.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
(female)

emalicious HB User

Hi, I too have a sharp pain at the front of my neck (left side to my windpipe) i have an underactive thyroid and have been on tablets for just over 2 weeks. This pain comes on during the evening and afteroons. (not so during day) i rang up the doctors who have been great with everything, however he doesnt think its my tablets affecting me(causing the pain) and say he cant give much advice because hes not a consultant. Im currently waiting to have my consultation about becoming underactive but as usuall things take time. However i am getting so worried! i have cried a fair bit over the pain which i also told the doctor.

i just dont know what to do.

Hope someone could give me advice

thankyou

Closed Thread