It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
numbness after surgery

I just had surgery on my sinuses and I have really bad numbness on one side of my face (right) and on the other side it is killing me. The nurse told me this was normal, but it feels so weird... intense pain on one side, numb on the other. Plus I cannot irrigate one nostril because it's still so congested (the painful side) and I have tons of blood running down the back of my throat.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
Re: numbness after surgery

I went to the dr yesterday to get the splints out and he said that he never heard of anyone having half their face be numb (which really weirded me out) and he said that feeling should come back within the next few months. I feel really sad about this, I'm known for my smile.. but now it's lopsided. Also I woke up this morning with a low grade temp.. today is day 7 for me..should I be concerend that I feel the same as right after the surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #3
(female)

Mar1 HB User

What kind of surgery did you have? I just had a septoplasty yesterday and they fixed my concha bullosa as well. So far, so good other than a sore throat and massive congestion

I would be a little concerned that half your face is numb. They could have hit a nerve or something while in there. I might consider a second opinion.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I had a septoplasty, turbine reduction and the maxiliary sinuses opened. It is still numb and I am running a low grade temp. Called my ENT and they said 'well you should be better by now' in a real nasty way. As though it was my fault I wasn't better lol. I called my reg dr to make an appt (two fold.. to see if I had an infection somewhere and to get a referal to a second opinion). She thinks that it might be the swelling in my face having something push on the nerve causing the swelling. Right now I'm on prescription Advil. The numbness is the same, though.

Did they keep you overnight for it? My dr insists upon it.. in fact I almost had to stay a second night because I had such a hard time. And (literal) insult to injury I accidently hit my nose with my fist today and whacked the hell out of the side that was numb, so I don't know how hard I hit it. I figured it wouldn't help to call my ENT as they would probably just scold me lol.

Also did you have a lot of bleeding afterwards? I had bleeding from my nose for the first two days and 5 days of blood going down the back of my throat. It had gone away, but after hitting myself in the face, I have been having the blood going down the back of my throat. I wrote more about this on the general health board.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

PS-glad to hear you're doing as well as can be expected!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
(female)

Mar1 HB User

Wow, I don't think I'd be seeing that Dr. again. It doesn't seem like he's taking your concerns seriously. I'd definately go for a second opinion on that.

As for me, my Dr. didn't bother to keep me after surgery. He doesn't use packing or splints since, as he says, "they just add to the pain and don't do much more than that" I really didn't have too much bleeding. The day of the surgery I did, but it didn't help that when i came out of the anesthesia I decided to have a panic attack and was rubbing my nose. Took 3 nurses, some drugs in my iv and an oxygen mask to calm me down. I've still got a little bit of blood, but nothing extreme or anything that really bothers me.

Just hearing what you're going through, I would go see a second Dr. This just doesn't sound right. Hope things work out for you.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I actually went to my allergist today for my bi-weekly allergy shots, who is an ENT as well, but does not do the surgeries any longer, and he was appalled at how the other ENT treated me. I actually started crying in my allergist office telling him about how the other dr yelled at me for crying and he was very calming and nice about it. He even told me that he could do the follow up for me, and if I do need surgery or anything else that he no longer does, he would refer me to another ENT.

That's scary about having a panic attack and pulling at your nose! The anesthiologist told me not to touch my nose. I've posted on many things so I'm not sure if I'm repeating myself, but it took them 12 times (between 3 nurses) to try for an IV.. then the anestiologist finally said that they'd put me under first to get an iv. So I was under for an extra 30 minutes (that's how long it took HIM to get an IV!)

Closed Thread