It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 AM   #1
(female)

StacieAS HB User
Coughing after tonsillectomy?

I had my tonsils out 3/8 of this year. I've never had so much pain in my life! My throat isn't hurting that much more, but it's my ears that kill me off and on each day. Every time it happens, I pop a stick of gum in my mouth and sometimes it relieves the pain, but sometimes it doesn't. The other problem I'm beginning to have is a dry cough on occassion that really hurts! Can anyone give me any ideas to relieve the ear pain and explain why I have this cough now? Anything would be great and so appreciated. Thank you ahead of time!

Old 03-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Coughing after tonsillectomy?

Probably all part of the healing process. Those scabs starting to peel off. I remember waking up feeling really dry and drink drink drinking. And my ears started to hurt like heck about day 8 -- sounds about right. Think that's about the time I'd just lay in bed and cry, I was so miserable. Then after a few days, I felt better. Oh, and tepid water. I drank until I was practically floating. Drank every time I'd eat something.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 03-15-2006 at 02:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Also--did you have general anesthia? They put a tube down your throat that makes you cough a lot.. I kept coughing so hard I lost my voice after I had my surgery a week and a half ago.

Old 03-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi StacieAS, I had my first surgery on 2/10 and the second (emergency) on 2/13 so that puts me at day 31. I still have a "thick spot" or "catch", if you will, in my throat. On some days it moves and others it stays in the same place. It affects how I pronounce certain words. And yes, my throat is still dry. My doc says its from all the tubes (from both surgeries-breathing and to pump my stomach) and that it should go away however it will take several months! Just be sure to keep your throat moist by taking a sip every 15 minutes (that was in my post-op instructions) which helps me. The worst time is first thing in the morning when I wake up. I keep a glass of water next to my bed and sip on it if I wake up during the night and upon waking. If you feel achy and cold-the kind where you can't get warm no matter what, please call your doctor right away. Both doctors (mine and the emergency ENT surgeon) said the risk for bleeding are days 3, 6-8, and day 14. I still can't eat certain foods yet, tomatoes, citrus, steak, chocolate (it talst funny) and I can only taste in the very front of my mouth. I,ve been told that it takes 6 months to a year to fully recover from surgery, and that my taste will return. So, I guess we just have to let the good Lord do His job and be patient. I will add you to my prayer list and I hope you get well soon.

Old 03-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
(female)

diana313 HB User

I also had my tonsils out on 3-8, so we're probably at the same place in our recovery. I haven't had any coughing, but the earraches are horrendous. I was not prepared for them at all. Heat makes them better. You can go to ********'s and buy one of those ice/heat collars and heat it up in the microwave and put it on your ears. A heating pad would also work. My friend made me a heating pad with corn kernels in it that you heat up in the microwave. It makes a world of difference. I wouldn't have survived this long without heat on my ears. Ice on the throat, heat on the ears. Hang in there!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
(female)

yellow10 HB User

i am wondering what pain meds the doc has prescribed for you? I had hydrocodone liquid, and it really helped. I also think that is why perhaps I never experienced that "more severe" pain people talk about. If the tylenol with codeine is not cutting it, i might suggest you ask for something a bit stronger. I feel like my experience wasn't nearly as painful as what I am reading here on the posts. It was painful there is no doubt and i couldn't sleep much the first few days, but it was tolerable with the pain medication and making sure I just kept drinking, even though it was very uncomfortable the first few days/ to one week.

Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I was given a huge bottle of orange flavored codeine when I had my tonsils out. I should've asked for something stronger -- taking that nasty stuff by day 6-8 when my ears started hurting just about did me in 'cuz my throat was so raw. I'd drink it with a lukewarm water chaser and it'd hurt for about half hour or more afterwards.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
(female)

georgiw HB User

Hi I just had my tonsils out on 3 20 06. I am trying to return to work tomorrow but I am really strugglng with ear pain and feeling a bit whoosy.... I had some adenoid surgery too which is what I think hurts the most....I am wondering if I can drive to work and really work.... I guess I ll try.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
(female)

ginamackey HB User

I had mine out on 3/14, two weeks ago today. I just went to the store and bank for the first time, and now I'm exhausted. My throat still hurts like hell, I've developed a dry cough over the last few days, my right ear, along with my right jaw/glands/tongue, are all still very painful. I've finally gotten back some strength, which is great, but I'm still in a lot of pain. Thought it wouldn't be so bad by now. Each day gets a little better, but it's so gradual. I was really, really hoping it wouldn't have taken so long. Anyway, let's hope we all heal perfectly!! Good luck everyone!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
(female)

yellow10 HB User

so georgiw-did you go into work only a week after you had it done? I hope you did well! I know by day 7 or 8 I was still pretty tired and don't think I could have made it into work! I hope it wasn't too stressful.

Closed Thread