It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

rezendej HB User
POD#0 s/p tonsillectomy

Okay, so I am home from my tonsillectomy (it's 8p. It was done at 2p). I have been reading the posts and am scared to pieces! My uvula is so large. I am talking like I have marbles in my mouth. Any advice? I am trying to stay hydrated. I am taking tylenol with codeine and amoxicillin. I really hope I have an easy course. aargh!
I hope it's all worth it. I have major crypts and was tired of the tonsil puss balls. gross.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: POD#0 s/p tonsillectomy

Okay, don't panic -- your doctor should've warned you NOT TO LOOK! I did after mine and just about passed out. I pretty much chewed on ice chips and constantly sipped water. I kept a glass of ice and a glass of water with me constantly. In fact I kept water on my night stand and when I woke up, I'd sip. Also, did they give you an ice pack? I draped one on my neck for the first day or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
(female)

diana313 HB User

You're fine. Drink as much apple juice or gatorade as you can, and keep chewing on sugar-free gum. Use an icepack on your neck, and a heating pad on your ears (they'll start hurting in a few days). Start eating something now - apple sauce, macaroni, something soft. It's supposed to look gross back there, you're supposed to sound funny when you talk, and your uvul is supposed to be huge and swollen. So it sounds like you're exactly where you should be. It's going to start getting worse though in a couple of days, so use this time when it's not as bad to get really hydrated and eat some food. You'll be fine. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

yellow10 HB User

i agree, eat as soon as you are able. I think this helped me at least! I ate mac and cheese the first night (after the pain meds) and drank "constantly for the 10 days. My pain never got "worse" i mean it did a bit after the first day because the anethesia wears off, but never had that 'more severe" pain i heard people talk about. I don't think everyone gets that. Hang in! You'll be just fine, just keep drinking water and keep up with the pain meds!

Old 03-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #5
(female)

rezendej HB User

Thanks, now I'm at POD #2. Ears are starting to hurt. Don't have an icepack. Will go get one. I am afraid of bleeding and am not doing much but staying home in bed (sleeping is best... you don't feel the pain as much). Do I need to be so conservative? I hope my voice eventually gets back to normal. They say MOST get back to normal but in some people, the palate doesn't compensate for all that room back there. ugh.
I am wondering if this was a good idea.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
(female)

rezendej HB User

Oh yeah, and I am supposed to go back to work (am a nurse) on thursday (pod # 7). How long did any of you adults out there take to get back to work? I don't want to push it.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
(female)

yellow10 HB User

hi, i took 2 weeks as my doctor suggested. i don't think I was ready by day 7. My throat still looked very bad at that point, and I wasn't eating much. I think there is also a risk of bleeding until day 10, if you are up and moving around a lot. I know my doctor really pushed the 2 weeks off suggestion.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
(female)

yellow10 HB User

oh yes, i was also worried about my voice changing/or difficulty speaking. But i'm day 18 and the sound is completely back to normal, it was by about day 10-even though my tongue was still quite swollen. I went through a day or two where I sounded kind of nasally-but it quickly passed. As far as the bleeding, my doc said there is a 3% chance of the bleeding. I just sat around for a week basically watching TV and resting. Then around day 7 I slowly started doing a bit more, went out to the grocery store, etc. But really didn't do too much for about 10 days, I didn't have a whole lot of energy anyhow. So it was a good excuse to just relax for awhile. It will get better!
I'm pretty much back to eating fairly normal now, my throat still feels a bit sore and weird/ but I can eat, etc.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #9
(female)

UptowngirlNYC HB User

Hello everyone!

New here, on my 5th day of recovery. Wonderful to have all your threads to read. Doesn't make me feel so alone any more.

I managed to screw up my back while bending down to get my meds Don't know which is worse, the throat pain or the back!

Is there ANYTHING that will get rid of this dragon breath? My kids will barely speak to me anymore!

Trying to get some sleep...

Yankee in Sweden

Old 03-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #10
(female)

rezendej HB User

I don't know about the breath. I am only at day 3. The pain is fine until i decide to eat something. Noodles have been my mainstay. However, after every time I eat, IT KILLS!!! I have been trying gargling with ice water. I have stitches in. Did it hurt when they fell out?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:01 AM   #11
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezendej
Thanks, now I'm at POD #2. Ears are starting to hurt. Don't have an icepack. Will go get one. I am afraid of bleeding and am not doing much but staying home in bed (sleeping is best... you don't feel the pain as much). Do I need to be so conservative? I hope my voice eventually gets back to normal. They say MOST get back to normal but in some people, the palate doesn't compensate for all that room back there. ugh.
I am wondering if this was a good idea.
Hi, I'm at day 35 and still can't talk loud and I still have problems saying certain words. I had post op bleeding and thrush (my posts are at "adult tonsilectomy at 45") and I spent 2 1/2 weeks on thrush meds, and I couldn't talk for almost 3 weeks. The doctor said that because of the difficulty removing my right tonsil, post op bleeding (which required a second surgery) and thrush, that it will take about 2 months to be close to normal. Just becareful of days 3, 6,7,8, and 14 as both my doctor and the emergency ENT surgeon said those are the days for the risk of bleeding. I hope you get well soon.

Last edited by 2catfans; 03-20-2006 at 06:02 AM.

Closed Thread