It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
(female)

ginamackey HB User
Post-Op tonsillectomy, day 7!

Thank God I found this website. I'm 51 yrs. old, had tonsillitis for a year, with no help from anti-biotics. I finally had them out last Tuesday morning. I thought I was the only one who was still in agony, but it's nice to know I'm not!! I still need the pain meds every four hours, especially the percocet -- works much better than the tylenol w/codeine. My doc also gave me a script for a med to prevent nausea, which was a lifesaver. I've been nauseaous and felt like I was going to pass out, every morning since the operation. I can't eat or drink anything unless I'm under the influence of meds. I slept sitting up on the couch last night, which seemed to help with the morning problems, although it still took me two hours just to get up off the couch and get a glass of water. Anyway, my only question is this--how much longer till I can eat some real food? I'm really getting tired of applesauce and yogurt. I'm just so afraid of what real food will do to my throat and uvula. Looks like a crime scene in there!!!! Thanks for letting me vent, it really helps.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User
Re: Post-Op tonsillectomy, day 7!

I got really tired of not being able to eat certain things either. One thing I did was made some broth or noodle soup - LUKEWARM and mashed up saltine crackers in it. I was really craving salt after awhile and was sick of sweet stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

2catfans HB User
Re: Post-Op tonsillectomy, day 7!

Hi Ginamackey and Ratatosk,
I'm post op at day 37 and still have 6 more weeks of healing, accourding to my doc. I had post op bleeding on day 3 and thrush for 2 1/2 weeks after that so, I had to eat "soft" foods only for 3 weeks. Boy did I want meat!!! Chicken noodle soup, mashed potatoes, gravy burned my throat-even turkey gravy, pudding, jello,no citrus(orange, lemon or lime), applesauce, ice cream, popsicles, mac and cheese (put in a blender if needed), baked potatoes, soft canned vegetables (green beans, carrots, ect, NO corn) in a blender if neccessary, milk, sherbert (although it hurt my throat), canned peaches, cut into very small peices, and thin milkshakes. If you are having a really hard time, people told me to try the gerber graduates baby food. Stay away from soda pop because of the citric acid in it, tomato products of any kind, citrus fruit and of course hard items. I drank everything from a straw (and still do). I didn't try bread because I couldn't eat a very small piece of Ritz cracker. It was thick and real hard to wash down. Just in case you're wondering, I am still waiting for my taste to come back. I can only taste in the front of my mouth. things taste like cardboard except vanilla pudding (the cooked variety) and vanilla ice cream (the good varieties, Bryers, Blue bunny). I hope you both feel well soon.

Closed Thread