It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User
Might need surgery...Doh

Hi there,

I was in the hospital a few months ago with horrible ear invections that required IV antibiotics. They did a CT Scan which showed that my sinuses were a bit clogged. After leaving, the doctor told me to get another scan a few months later to see if it's stil clogged -- and it is, I just got the results.

So here's the thing...My mom got the results so I don't know much at the moment. Something about my right sinus still being clogged and it may not be as large/developed as the left one?

What kind of surgery would that require and what are the treatments? I doubt they can actually make it larger...

Thanks

Old 03-20-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User
Re: Might need surgery...Doh

I just looked up the surgery which I will most probably need...It doesn't sound fun, at all...

!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User

The surgery is drainage and scraping of the sinus linings. I just had this done. It took me 5-6 weeks to recover, but you're young so you may bounce back more quickly.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #4
(female)

Molly1173 HB User

Wow. 5-6 weeks?? Ugh.

I just had my adenoids out & a tube put in my right ear. In two weeks, I go back to have my tonsils out & a tube put in the left (tonsils were too infected to take out the first time). My CT scan showed polyps in my sinuses...Doc says if I still have problems after recovering from these 2 surgeries...my next step is to 'surgically drain the sinuses'.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

Hi Kerry,

Do you have any suggestions? Does it hurt? Can you tell me anything about it, any tips?

Old 03-24-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

WT- I just had a septoplasty (straighting of the septem), turbine reduction, the sinus unclogging (that you're going to have done) and a few other things.

I'm not going to lie.. it's not fun. I am now officially 3 weeks post op (had it done March 3) and am still in quite a bit of pain. I don't really feel all that great still, but I had some abnormal set backs... took 14 tries to get an IV, sinus infection (the reason why I had the surgery in the first place) half my face is numb (a VERY rare complication) and lately I've been having nightsweats.

That said, you are only having a part of what I had done, if you do in fact need it done. They will give you good pain killers that will help with most of the pain.

I know that you're male and teenaged, but how old are you? My cousin had his adnoids out when he was 11 and he was fine within about 3 days.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

Hi twizliz,

Thanks for being honest! I'm going to my ENT Monday. As far as I know, I have a slightly deviated septum as well so who knows, I may need that done as well - wouldn't that be wonderful? My nose appears to be perfectly straight, I guess that doesn't mean much.

So it's definitely a 3+ week recovery time, that obviously means this would be pretty much my summer activity. Wonderful.

Thanks for being honest, I do appreciate it. I'm 17.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

WT- Most people go back to work within 2 weeks following the surgery (I don't have a job now so obviously I didn't LOL). If your septum isn't that bad, maybe they won't do it... my ent could not believe how badly my septum was deviated when he saw the cat scan and then afterward he said it was even worse than he had thought!

I was able to get into surgery within a month, so perhaps you will be able to enjoy your summer afterall!

Liz

Old 03-25-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by twizliz
WT- Most people go back to work within 2 weeks following the surgery (I don't have a job now so obviously I didn't LOL). If your septum isn't that bad, maybe they won't do it... my ent could not believe how badly my septum was deviated when he saw the cat scan and then afterward he said it was even worse than he had thought!

I was able to get into surgery within a month, so perhaps you will be able to enjoy your summer afterall!

Liz
Well, surgery during the school year would be worse/not possible considering all the time I'd have to miss. We'll see what my ENT says. I'll post back.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #10
(female)

2catfans HB User
Cool Re: Might need surgery...Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedTeenager
Hi twizliz,

Thanks for being honest! I'm going to my ENT Monday. As far as I know, I have a slightly deviated septum as well so who knows, I may need that done as well - wouldn't that be wonderful? My nose appears to be perfectly straight, I guess that doesn't mean much.

So it's definitely a 3+ week recovery time, that obviously means this would be pretty much my summer activity. Wonderful.

Thanks for being honest, I do appreciate it. I'm 17.
Hi WorriedTeenager,
I had my deviated septum repaired and my tonsils and adenoids removed in the first surgery. There was a problem removing my right tonsil as the tonsil grew on the back side of the muscle so I had a "hole", as the doc put in, in my tonsil bed. Then post-op bleeding required a second surgery. Then there was 2 1/2 weeks of thrush (a yeast infection of the mouth). I'm at day 40 and, according to my doc, I still have about another 40 days or so of healing to do!! I still have a very small "hole" on the right side, I still can't say some words properly, I still have a "thick" spot in my throat, I still require 10 hours of sleep a night, I still can't exercise, other than walking, or carry anything heavier than 15 pounds (doc's orders!!), and I still can't eat everything I did before surgery. I really think it depends on the complication from your original surgery and any post-op problems you have. You're young, I'm 45, and you should heal much faster than most of us who have posted here. Please try not to worry and take all our experiences and use them as knowledge because knowledge is truely power. Just give it to God and I promise, He'll take care of you. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #11
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

I just got back from the ENT. Basically I have an undeveloped sinus ( well, not fully developed ) which has caused it to fill up with something. The doctor thinks it's just mucous, he doesn't believe there is a polyp but of course there's a chance, but he says it's best to go through with the surgery just to be sure. So basically, to my understanding, at this point it's just a matter of opinion as either option poses no serious threat. I'm going to see another doctor or two just to see what they say.

Closed Thread