It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
I feel like something is in my throat

I've noticed this before that when I eat something sometimes it doesn't want to go down and I have to eat something else to get it down. Now I feel like something is in my throat all of the time even though I know there isn't. I wonder if something is growing back in there. Can tonsil stones cause this feeling?

Old 03-22-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User
Re: I feel like something is in my throat

Acid Reflux. The version called LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux) in which acid rises out of the esophogous and into the throat. The most common four symptoms are:

1) feeling of something stuck in the throat
2) difficulty swallowing
3) frequent/chronic cough, often dry, with minimal phlegm
4) sinusitis

People can have anywhere from 1 to all of these symptoms. You can also start with one and develop the others.

Treatment is easy with 2 PPIs per day. Use Nexium for LPR 2x per day, taken together, 40 mg per pill, only experiment with different PPIs and different dosages once the symptoms are under control.

If you have symtoms for a few weeks without treatment, an ENT can visually diagnose it by scoping your throat in-office. LPR patients present with a red and swollen larynx. If you don't feel like visiting an ENT, just get a prescription for Nexium from your PCP. If the medication works, you know you've got reflux. If it doesn't work, then definitely see an ENT for treatment.

P.S. Nexium works the best out of all the PPIs, but if you can't afford it or your insurance won't cover it, the next best choice is Aciphex, then Prevacid. The only PPI available OTC is Prilosec, which, when taken 2x a day, still comes out to about $40 per month. But Prilosec is the oldest of the PPIs, and while it is great for heartburn, it has very disappointing results for LPR. But it might be better than nothing at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
I've noticed this before that when I eat something sometimes it doesn't want to go down and I have to eat something else to get it down. Now I feel like something is in my throat all of the time even though I know there isn't. I wonder if something is growing back in there. Can tonsil stones cause this feeling?
I've had this for months now!! I thought maybe it was my sinuses. It's like your constantly swallowing right and like something slimy is back there? If so, that is me too; join the club. I thought maybe it was sinus related though since I always have infections. I do know that I have mild reflux, but I still don't think that is what it is with me, because when I had the upper G.I. done, he said my acid comes up a little over my belly, so there is no way it can reach my throat! LOL

Melly

Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

MellyMel,

I understand the initial temptation to dismiss reflux as a cause. But you really need to take a closer look. Most doctors don't truly understand reflux of the naso-pharynx region, although that is finally beginning to change. I know you probably think - oh it's acid, which is in my stomach, so how can it affect my sinuses? I thought the same thing, and I wish that I had listedned to nurses (in particuluar) who were suggesting reflux all along, though they weren't able to define it as laryngopharyngeal reflux.

I'd suggest that you look at a diagram of the GI and nasopharynx anatomy. They are very much connected. As I mentioned earlier, the only reason that acid usually stays in the stomach is because of a region of pressure in the lower esophagous known as the "lower esophogeal spinchter muscle", not really a muscle at all, but an area of rigidity and pressure. When acid escapes that spinchter, it flows into the esophagous and usually causes heartburn. The upper spinchter muscle is located at the top of the esophogous, where the esophogous meets the throat, and that too, is an area of pressure. There is a subset of acid reflux patients who have a fairly good fucntion of the LES, but who have a weakened UES. Though heartburn is characterized by a good amount of acid flowing past the LES, laryngeal reflux is typically a very very small amount of acid escaping UES. Since it's small, there is virtually no heartburn detectable, as the LES is still functioning somewhat well. That tiny little bit of acid getting into the throat causes a heck of a lot of trouble.

Especially since you have alreay been diagnosed with a little reflux, don't you think you owe it to yourself to treat it? That little bit might be causing the sensation that you are describing. It is so easy to treat, that it doesn't make any sense for you to post on this board seeking a solution, if you won't consider the most likely causes. You already said you were diagnosed with some reflux - so please please please treat it. Nexium is a commonly prescribed drug with minimal side effects, and you'll know if it's working typically no later than 2 weeks, and so many people on the GERD board have reported instant relief (within the hour). Then stop taking it if it isn't working. But why suffer? I suffered, and I paid. I should have listened to the nurses, because the doctors were oblivious and uninformed.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Aswander:

First of all, it was not me that posted looking for help, it was Kari. I was just butting in. LOL. Thanks for all that information by the way. I didn't realize alot of that and how it was related to my throat. The doctor never really told me alot about it, but then again, I never asked how my stomach affected my throat. I just figured where it's mild and doesn't come up to my throat, then how can it be reflux I'm feeling in my throat and figured it was sinus related. He did give me Nexium, and I must say, I feel worse when I take it. It makes my heartburn WORSE, so I stopped. In my case, I still believe it is coming from the nose area and not the throat because I don't have much reflux going on. It is so UNNERVING to constantly be trying to swallow something down that isn't there!!! I also stopped my med because I'm trying to have a baby, so I had to stop it. I'm hoping if it is GERD that it doesn't get worse if I get pregnant, and if it does, maybe there is something they CAN give me. Thanks for your knowledge and advice and good luck to you with yours!!

Melly

Old 03-22-2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I was reading about the acid reflux thing. Can it be that if I have never had heartburn? Maybe it comes up but I just don't feel the burn.

I did notice that my sinuses are bothering me today now too. Maybe it's running to the back of my throat and causing this feeling. Who knows it could be either thing.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
I was reading about the acid reflux thing. Can it be that if I have never had heartburn? Maybe it comes up but I just don't feel the burn.

I did notice that my sinuses are bothering me today now too. Maybe it's running to the back of my throat and causing this feeling. Who knows it could be either thing.
I feel the same way you do Kari, don't feel bad.

Melly

Closed Thread