It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 12:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Off balance sort of feeling

Hey everyone,
Occasionally when I'm sitting at my desk especially if I turn my head a certain way or lean back in my chair then lean forward quickly I have this really strange off balance sort of feeling..at times I have to grab hold of my desk and other times I get up cos it freaks me out and I feel way off balance like I won't walk straight or something..am having hard time distinguishing if it is Anxiety,Inner Ear(R Ear has been popping a lot lately,Ears feel plugged at times,seemed stopped up recently and Sinus congestion),perhaps I'm not sitting properly at my desk,Hyperventilating or from not wearing my Glasses and Contact Lenses appropriately..it seems I only feel this while at my desk..I have had off balance and dizzy feelings before but not like this anywhere else..it passes quickly..regardless what the feeling is from I don't like it and wish it would go away..

Old 03-22-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Off balance sort of feeling

I have benign positional vertigo - not all the time, thank goodness. It can happen at any time - if I turn my head too fast, get out of bed quickly, etc. It's all from the inner ear - something to do with the "crystals" in your ear. You can research it. Did you see an ENT?? According to my doctor, there is really no medication - only anti-nausea medicine if you need it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User

that is positional vertigo you are having. Go see an ENT and maybe you will get the Epley manuevar to help with that. You can always look online to learn how to do it yourself at home and try it. It does help.

However in the mean time if you know certain positions make you dizzy take it very slow and try not to get into those positions.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Arlmon,
Thank you so much.I've seen an ENT once several years ago when my MD couldn't get a Fungal Ear Infection cleared up.Basically all the ENT did was look in my Ears,boil them out with Peroxide(which makes me Dizzy always has)fill the affected ear with Lotrimin and gave me a scrip for Lotrimin.I have had a lot of problems with both ears in Adulthood.I first had an Inner Ear Infection in the L Ear then the Fungal Infection(which can produce black gunk)in L Ear.I notice occasionally when I clean my L Ear out the discharge doesn't look right it takes on a very light brownish color instead of the brighter yellow.The only problems I had with my R Ear is popping and in both Ears equally feel stopped up.Does Benign Positional Vertigo not last long?When it happens it passes quickly(thank goodness!)

Thank you!

Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Halls,
I hope the Epley Manuever won't cause anymore Dizziness..will do a search online..so far the only time I feel this is while sitting at my desk..thank you!

Old 03-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Angry Re: Off balance sort of feeling

My doctor used the Eply Manouver and it worked. Unfortunately vertigo does return, sometimes months can go by and I don't have it. When I'm dizzy, it's the worst !! I also have stuffed ears now, because I'm congested with a cold. I've been to my doctor twice. He gave me decongestant pills now because I'm still clogged. It just puts you "off kilter".

Old 03-23-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User

I, too, have had two bouts with Benign Postional Vertigo, about 10 years apart.
I had to just let mine run its course, which was about 3-4 weeks before I felt fully back to normal.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

My ENT doctor did the Epley Manouver in his office. I did feel a bit dizzy, but it passed. And - it helped. I tried to do it at home, but couldn't.

Closed Thread