It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

pokeymagee HB User
Blocked inflammed nose, plus allergy to nasal spray! Help!

About 2 months ago, I started getting headaches on the right side of my head near my temple. They were very weird headaches/pains/pressure sort of aches. I also realized while I layed down, one side of my nose would be blocked, and during the day, if I put one finger on one side of my nose and took a deep breath, it would be stuffed up, and vice versa. If I would try to blow my nose, nothing really comes out, if it does it is clear and minute amounts.

So I went to my ENT to see if there was a problem or they were even related. He gave me some Flonase and said it would take about 2 weeks to work and that I was just probably dry from the heaters since its so cold here. So I used that for about a week and I was much worse! I felt like I was gonna die! I felt like I had a really bad sinus infection just on the right side. I had pain over and under my right eye, and the top side of my nose killed me. I think I was allergic to it and I kept using it, not knowing. I just thought I had a sinus infection. After about 1 week I was laying down and I tasted blood in my mouth and went to spit it out. I called my DR and he didn't seem concerned. Then I went back about 1 week later and he didn't see anything different and gave me nasacort and told me to take mucinex. Neither helped.

Then I went to see my allergist and she didn't really know what was going on. She did a CAT scan and just said one side was blocked. She put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks and that didn't do anything either.

I am very worried because this has been going on for 2 months now. It feels better as time goes on, very, very slowly, but I don't know what it is or why it is lasting so long. I still have the right side headache pain on and off, and pain over and under my right eye off and on. I still am stuffed up at night. I also am cranky and tired and depressed from it. I have only had 1 sinus infection before, and never any other nasal problems. If you have ever had this or think you know what it is please tell me! Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
(male)

dragon88 HB User
Re: Blocked inflammed nose, plus allergy to nasal spray! Help!

I had a cold couple months ago and similar problem as you. One side is always more blocked than the other. Been on antibiotics and steroid nasal sprays, which have a minimal effect. Worst when you get up in the morning, trying to clear your throat of all that phlegum and congested feeling.
My ent said keep using the spray. He said these sinus problems from colds, etc. can go on and on and on, like the energizer bunny.
I'm slowly feeling better as each week goes by, some days better than others, but its been a looooong process. Still congested but not as bad as first couple weeks. Now if I can only get the other side to clear up some, I'd be a happy camper.

Oh ya, flonase made my nose bleed. Nasacort was much better. Try using a saline mist/spray to moisturize your nose if on the steroid sprays. Then gently blow your nose to clear out any junk before using the spray. It will be more effective.

Last edited by dragon88; 03-22-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Closed Thread