It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
(male)

zonkay HB User
This is sort of two problems at once...

In order of events:

About 5 years ago, swimming in the pool with my friend, I got accidentally kicked in the ear. All of the water went straight in. Ever since then, it's been hurting from time to time. I also can't swim deeper than 5 feet or so without pain. But it was always tolerable. I also often heard that pulse noise in my ear.

About a week ago, that ear hurt a lot and felt weird, and I heard that pulse noise again, but I ignored it.

For the past 2 days, I've been coughing and sneezing and feeling very flu-ish. It also hurts my spine a LOT every time I sneeze. In the morning, I couldn't open my left eye at all. I went back to sleep, and when I woke up again it was fine. Today, I went to the infermary on campus. The doctor, after listening to what I had to say and checking me up, told me that I have an ear infection.

She also prescribed me Azithromycin tablets.

Here are my questions:
  • Do I really just have an ear infection with all of those symptoms?
  • I'm 19 and I still can't swallow pills unless they're tiny. I took the pill, bit it into 3 pieces and swallowed them individually. Will it still work?

Thank you very for taking the time to read (and possibly answer) this.

EDIT: I should also mention that my back slightly hurts, but I don't know if it's my spine of muscles. My neck is also somewhat uncomfortable, but I wouldn't really call it pain. I'm sort of sleepy, too.

I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and am terribly scared of having meningitis, even though I had a shot before college. So... It's definately not meningitis, right? :'(

Last edited by zonkay; 03-22-2006 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
(female)

2catfans HB User
Re: This is sort of two problems at once...

Well, I'm looking in my pill book and it doesn't say anything about "cutting" the pill. You should call your pharmacy and ask them about that. My pill book says that you "shouldn't take any antacids that contain aluminum or magnesium such as Maalox or Mylanta while taking Azithromycin." Please call and speak to either your doctor or the pharamacy, most any will answer your questions even if you didn't purchase your medication from them. Hope this helps and feel well soon.

Closed Thread