It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

rezendej HB User
Post Op Tonsillectomy Bleeding

Hi Everyone!
I am POD 7 (YAY... halfway to recovery I hope!)
Anyway, I am REALLY hung up on the whole prospect of bleeding and everything. In fact, I was so nervous about it last night after reading one person's account of bleeding as she was about to fall asleep, that I couldn't sleep. I got up at 11:00p and took a shower (thinking it might be calming).
OK, so I get out of the shower, spit into the sink (It still hurts to swallow), and don't you know, there's blood.
So, I called my ENT who told me to come into the ER (I live in New York City and hailed a cab) where he cauterized it with some silver nitrate since it wouldn't stop.
My question is....
How many of you had bleeding of any sort (did you have to gargle with ice water, did you go into the hospital, was it a lot, how many days into post op, precipitating factors?)
Thanks a lot for helping to ease my mind.
jenn

Last edited by rezendej; 03-23-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

2catfans HB User
Re: Post Op Tonsillectomy Bleeding

I had bleeding twice on day 3. What started it was choking on liquid Tylenol and to the hospital we went. They couldn't handle the kind of bleeding I had, so they called my ENT who said to wait 1 hour and if no bleeding to send my home. So at home I called my mom to tell her that I thought I was going to drown to death and I said two sentences and the bleeding started again. So off to the hospital again, this time to the one where my ENT was. This is 9:30PM and into emergency surgery where they cleaned the tonsil bed, flushed my sinuses (I had a septoplasty) and pumped 200 ml from my stomach. I stayed in the hospital overnight and in the morning the blood test said my hemmoglobin was 11. 10 is the low end of the scale. So I took iron for 30 days to help. My ENT said days 3, 6,7,8, and 14 are the days for the risk of bleeding. He said he had a patient that bleed 4 times with 4 emergency surgeries!!! Not me!!!!! Please don't worry about bleeding again. I know it's very frightening. I thought I was going to die both times and the second time I lost a lot of blood, 1 1/2 pints, and had a clot blocking my airway if I raised my head any at all. Just eat soft foods for a longer period of time. I had a bad case of thrush and had to eat soft foods for 3 weeks. I'm now at day 38 and I am starting to eat fairly normal. There are still some things that I can't have or that taste really bad, like cardboard. I hope you won't have any more problems. Get plenty of rest and drink every 15 minutes to stay hydrated.

Last edited by 2catfans; 03-23-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 03:18 AM   #3
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User
Re: Post Op Tonsillectomy Bleeding

I had bleeding two weeks post-op, and it started after a sneezing fit that I had. In the beginning the bleeding wasn't that bad, kind of like an annoying gross trickle. Off to the hospital I went where my ENT sutured the side that was open. (this was like 17 years ago, but clear as today in my mind!) Upon arriving home I walked upstairs to lay down and watch TV, when all of the sudden the bleeding started again, only this time much worse. It was a mad dash to the hospital again where this time I required emergency surgery and a transfusion because all in all I had lost 3.5 pints of blood. Not a pleasant ordeal at all, and I'm not too fond of the sight of blood since then!

I'm sure medical technology has changed quite a bit since I had my tonsils out, but no matter what, you should follow all of your post-op instructions and be careful sneezing or yawning!

Best of luck to you.

Closed Thread