It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User
night sweats post septoplasty

(Mods, please feel free to delete my other post on GH page)

I am now three weeks out from my septoplasty/turbine reduction and a slew of other things. It has not been an easy recovery for me... from having a numb right side of my face to having a sinus infection a week post op. The drainage and phlegm from my nose is still green-- is that okay?

Also I have been having horrible night sweats for the past week. I am on Zoloft, which is known to cause it, but I've been on Zoloft for 4 months so I don't think this is related. Plus I did have it once from the Zoloft but that was early on and only one night.

Now I wake up in the middle of the night drenched in a cold sweat.. I try to keep my room cool, so I wake up all sweaty, cold and clammy. Should I call my dr about this? I feel like I've called too many times already (they said to me "you should be better by now" the last time I called). I am awaiting a second opinion from another ENT.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
(female)

Mar1 HB User
Re: night sweats post septoplasty

The night sweats wouldn't be normal I would imagine. The green stuff, yea I could see that. My Dr. told me that I would still have junk coming out of my nose for another 3-4 weeks (surgery was done exactly 2 weeks ago now). I think it would depend on how much is coming out though. I have a little bit of colored drainage, but only when I blow my nose in the morning. What meds did your Dr put you on after the surgery?

Oh just an aside, I have a mild sinus infection going on as well, but it's no where near as bad as it once was and is going away thanks to meds

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having different color drainage after the operation this far on. Mine is mostly a rust color, but when I blow my nose it's green (didn't want to get into trouble for blowing my nose lol)

I'm on Augmenton for the sinus infection and he had put me on steriods, a very low dose for 6 days. I stopped the steriods yesterday. I guess I'll see if it happens again tonight... if it's not better by Monday I'll call.. I always say I'm going to but I don't. I just had such a bad interaction with him and his staff that I'm scared to do anything. Also my glands are swollen and I feel sick still.

It feels like each day there's a new thing, one day my throat will kill, another I'm coughing, the only constant aside from what I wrote above is sneezing. But then again, it is allergy season.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

Mar1 HB User

Mine is generally a rust and yellowish/green color. Every now and then I'll get the nasty black lumps out. Generally it's after a follow-up where he's suctioned and loosed some of it, but didn't get it all out. Towards the end of the day, it will be clear, but the next morning it's coming out in Technicolor once again.

As for the night sweats, that was most likely the steroids (I'm assuming prednisone?). The steroids will still cause side effects a few days after you stop taking them. Even a low dose. I was on Pred a couple times or the sinus infections and I always had different side effects each time, so even if you didn't have night sweats during a previous time you took pred, you could still get them a second time around.

Old 03-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

Okay, cool thanks for your input about the night sweats, I feel relieved now! It wasn't prednosone..but I think it was in the prednosone family...

I've discovered something really gross, but the 12 year old little boy is fascinated by it... when I 'sniff up' as to hack up a loogie, I can put a flashlight in my mouth and see the path of where the snot is coming from, whereas normally it is like a waterfall (post nasal drip) and now it is more like a spiccot (SP?). That is usually a rust color.

Closed Thread