It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

desperate girl HB User
3 E Tube Question, Searching For An Answer

how long do u think it takes for an eutischian tube blockage to recover? I had an ear infection 2 months ago now fluid is gone behind my eardrum no infection either.
BUT still getting the pressure in my ear.
1. how long does it take for e tube to recover after ear infection.
2. IS E TUBE EVER GONNA RECOVER AT ALL OR IT CAN BE ALSO SOMETHING PERMANENT???
3. CAN E TUBE PROBLEMS CAUSE HEARING LOSS???
THANK YOU.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #2
(female)

jitteryme HB User
Re: 3 E Tube Question, Searching For An Answer

I'm wondering the exact same thing. I had an ear infection and sinus infection on January 1st. It's now the end of March and while the infections and fluid are long gone, I still have problems with my ear. It crackles when I yawn and swallow, I still have a bit of pressure and the worst of all, I can hear my heartbeat in my right ear when I lie down at night. I saw an ENT doctor back in January, and unless I was willing to have a hole nicked in my ear drum, there was little he could do for me, other than tell me to wait it out. BTW, he didn't recommend having the hole in the ear drum unless I was going to go on an airplane or something. He did give me some eustachian tube exercises to do and said I should see an improvement within three to five weeks. I did them faithfully and other than a mild reduction in symptoms, it's pretty much the same.

Maybe others can offer up some solutions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
(female)

jitteryme HB User

Sorry, for whatever reason, this came through twice.

Last edited by jitteryme; 03-25-2006 at 09:50 AM. Reason: double posting

Old 03-27-2006, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I have a similar problem - blocked ears because of a bad cold with congestion. I still have some congestion. My doctor gave me decongestant pills to take, but they didn't agree with me. He didn't want to give them to me in the first place, because I'm on BP meds, but he said to try it for a few days. I know it takes time for the fluid to disappear, but how long is long?? It's so annoying, as I'm sure you already know. What type of exercises are you doing?

Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
(female)

desperate girl HB User

I'm not doing any kind of exercise, but i'd be interested in doing so. I don't have fluid anymore, but for you i don'tknow how long it is going to take but i've heard that sometimes it could be months. Be patient and wait it out i guess.
My main problem still the heartbeating in my ear but only at night and reacts only for high pitched noises, what could that be?? something permanent? Duringthe day i'm fine all day, it's strange. any input?
So yes, i would be interested in those exercises, that one of you mention. would you share some of them with us. ? thanks.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Could it be tinnitus that you have? When it's very quiet (at night), you can hear every little thing, I find. There is nothing more annoying that ear problems. I'm going to another ENT tomorrow to get another opinion about the fluid in my ears. My GP said it takes time - I just want to scream !!!!Also, whoever posted about the exercises, let us know what they are. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
(male)

mather HB User

E. tube blockage and ear problems can take a long time to recover, unfortunately. My wife has ear problems that come and go. Been 3-4 years, we've seen good days and bad days. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

bugjune HB User

E tube probs will be unique to each person, cuz the shape (width, length, etc.) of our tubes differ. The bummer is that there doesn't seem to be any medication to quickly drain fluid from the middle ear area. Over time, if the eardrum has pressure on it, one's hearing could suffer. But there's just no predicting when or if fluid will ever drain completely from one's E-tubes. I used to suffer from middle ear infections yearly as a kid, and each time I just had to wait it out for the E-tube to drain.

To relieve that heartbeat in the ear at night .. try sleeping with an elevated head. It sounds like you may be down on a single pillow, allowing fluid in one ear to slosh against the eardrum. You might also want to keep that ear on top, if you sleep on your side.

Wish I had some suggestions for middle ear probs! I've read that one should avoid antihistamines and cortisoid medication ... but that's about it.

Last edited by bugjune; 04-16-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Closed Thread