It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

2catfans HB User
Question How do you forget about almost dying?

After having post-op bleeding twice which preceipitated emergency surgery, I still remember choking on blood and clots and almost suffacating on a clot blocking my air way. I've talked with my hubby as he thought I was going to die too. It's been 5 weeks since the second surgery. I was just wondering how everyone else was coping?

Last edited by 2catfans; 03-25-2006 at 12:16 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
(female)

sweetstacie HB User
Re: How do you forget about almost dying?

I too had massive amounts of bleeding after my tonsilectomy. I had to go into surgery twice after the inital surgery. The last surgery which was almost 2 weeks ago because i started bleeding so bad the dr. said i lost half of my blood. I had to get a blood transfusion with 4 units of blood. I have never been so scared in my life (or my mom, i think more than me). I too was coughing up alot of blood and blood clots. But im doing better now and i hope you are doing better too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetstacie
I too had massive amounts of bleeding after my tonsilectomy. I had to go into surgery twice after the inital surgery. The last surgery which was almost 2 weeks ago because i started bleeding so bad the dr. said i lost half of my blood. I had to get a blood transfusion with 4 units of blood. I have never been so scared in my life (or my mom, i think more than me). I too was coughing up alot of blood and blood clots. But im doing better now and i hope you are doing better too.
I'm am and I'm so glad you are too!! Do you still remember it like it was yesterday? Sometimes I see it in my dreams, and visions of it come to mind while I'm doing everyday tasks.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
(female)

ginamackey HB User

I'm on my 12 day post-op, and since yesterday, I feel like I'm choking on something. Could it be blood? How soon after your procedure did you have the bleeding?

Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamackey
I'm on my 12 day post-op, and since yesterday, I feel like I'm choking on something. Could it be blood? How soon after your procedure did you have the bleeding?
I started bleeding the morning after the original surgery but didn't know it until day 3. I choked on a pain pill the day and then the doc gave me liqued pain medicine. Then I woke up coughing all the time. It felt as if I had some phlem in my throat. On day 3, the doc told me to take liquid tylenol and on the first dose, I choked on it and that's when the real bleeding started. If your neck hurts (I read your post on "so many post op problems"), you can't get warm or you just don't feel right, please either call or go to your doctor or the hospital. The emergency ENT surgeon said I had 2 veins that were seeping all weekend! When I did start bleeding (day 3), it was like a faucet was turned on. I don't want to scare you however if I had known more, it might have been easier for me. If that happens, it's real important not to panic. It makes it worse. It is real scary. Have someone call your doctor and then take you to the hospital as fast as possible. My doc said that the risk of bleeding is at days 3, 6, 7, 8, and 14. He told me at day 15 that I wasn't out of the woods for bleeding until a week later! I will pray for you. I don't think anyone should go through this. I hope you feel well soon.

Last edited by 2catfans; 03-26-2006 at 11:04 PM.

Closed Thread