It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
(male)

jeff235 HB User
Is this an ear infection or just allergies/congestion?

Ok- first of all, since I'm new here, I'll give a statement about myself: I'm 23 years old, Male. I don't drink. I smoke cigarettes (about a pack a day) and I smoke Cannabis (light user). As a child I was subjected to chronic ear infections.... pretty much any memory I have as a child (sub-10 years of age) I always had ear tubes. I think this is partially do to having a father (and his side of the family) who would constantly smoke around me. My siblings, however, never had a problem. Perhaps I was just more susceptable.

At the age of 12 (I think), I was diagnosed with a cholesteatoma. CT scans didn't find anything initially, but a thorough examination of an MRI found it to be a definate cholesteatoma.

I still have a tube in my left ear from the age of 10 or so. It hasn't fallen out in 13 years (the doc says this is nothing to worry about). Recently in life I have developed TMJ and anxiety as a sister to that disorder.

Anyways- I'm sorry for the partial, and long autobiography.

In my adult life and adolescent years I didn't have as bad of problems regarding the ears.

Recently (in the past couple days) I have started drinking milk (organic) to a greater extent than i have in the past year. I gave it up because all that I read about it, and how it has the tendency to increase allergies in susceptable people.... I did notice a positive change in this amount of time.

Also recently I noticed a major increase in the amount of drainage in my right ear (the one that had the mastoidectomy, btw). The drainage is dry, waxy.. flakey. There is a slight itch.. but it's not the type i usually associate with inner-ear infections.

There was a tiny amount of blood when i would try to clean it.. but i doubt it is from the ear-drum, as i simply rubbed a q-tip to the walls of the ear canal.. i think i might've brushed it too harshly... scraping the skin.

I always have more fluid/drainage in this ear, and it is always foul-smelling.. my ear doctor says this is normal.

Should I be worried about anything? I don't have the symtpoms of any major ear infection, that I know of. The main thing I have is congestion in that area.... (sinuses are also congested, slightly). I felt a cold coming on a few days ago.. and a sore throat.. but that went away all in a day... and in that same day i had the increased wax/fluid...

there's not much pressure... but I feel slightly dizzy.

Last edited by jeff235; 03-25-2006 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Is this an ear infection or just allergies/congestion?

Never, ever use Q-tips in your ears - it's dangerous and skin and wax can be pushed down to cover the eardrum. Have you seen an ENT for your problem? If you're having drainage, that doesn't seem to be "normal".

Closed Thread