It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

ginamackey HB User
So many post-op tonsillectomy problems

Hi there. I'm on day 12, post-op, after my tonsillectomy. I'm having so many problems, and am wondering if it's unusual, or typical of someone my age (I'm a 51 yr. old woman). I have a horrible earache in my right ear, along with the glands in my neck hurting, as well as my tongue, even my jaw and teeth hurt. I'm also starting to spit up a little bit of blood in my mucus. I can't eat real food yet, and my doc told me that my throat's not healing very well or very fast, and to stay on the mushy food diet. Anyone else going through this or am I all alone?

Old 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
(female)

UptowngirlNYC HB User
Re: So many post-op tonsillectomy problems

Hi Ginamackey!

Sounds like we are in about the same situation. I am a 42 yr woman at 13 days post op. I have been able to get some soft solid foods down but only with a great amount of pain and strain. I too felt like I was choking on something for 2 days (day 9-10) and then it just dissapeared. I think they might be (sorry to gross you out...), scabs dangeling in the back of your throat. I had the exact same thing and in a night I felt better (guess I swallowed them..). I think the first set of scabs in my case have come off and yours will come off in any time, and then we have a new round of rawness and new scabs to form.
I am a New Yorker living in Europe and here they don't even follow up after the operation. Have you been back to the doctor since the operation?
My biggest problem now if the feeling of a very, very swollen toungue, sore jaw, nasty, nasty taste that I can't get rid of and no more meds.No ear troubles though... How is it for you?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

ginamackey HB User

Hi Uptowngirl NYC!!! I live in NJ, about 45 minutes southwest of NYC. You must miss the city, there's nothing like it! Anyway, I went to see my doc on day 10 after surgery (last Friday). He said my throat's not healing very well, or very quickly, so I'm not sure if I had/have any scabs or not. I can't really open wide enough to get a good look. I'm going back to see him next Friday too. I have plenty of meds left, I've been trying not to take them too often, although I still need them, unfortunately. He said everything I'm experiencing is typical for someone "my age". He said not to worry, and that it takes an adult at least 3 weeks to feel good again, and possibly longer. So far, I'd certainly agree. It'll be 2 weeks on Tuesday, and even though I feel better than I did a week ago, I still feel pretty crappy and tired all the time. Let me know how you're doing, okay? I'll let you know how I'm doing. good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Gina

Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

rezendej HB User

Wow, i live in NYC. I'm 28 though, and am POD #10. I have mostly been eating soft foods (lots of noodles. i've basically done every kind of soup - except hot and sour - from every asian restaurant near my apt). The most I've tried is wonton. I could swallow pretty well. Some foods just don't agree with me though, like mashed potatoes. They make my throat hurt. I haven't tried a lot of solids other than the wontons. Other than that, doing ok. Just trying to get through to day 14.
I noticed, though, a LOT less pain on POD 9 with significant improvement today.
Good luck to you both (and everyone else on the site). I had this surgery thinking it would be a walk in the park and that the adults who complained were just big babies. (I am a pediatric ICU nurse and see kids have this done all the time and bounce back the next day). BOY WAS I WRONG!!
Take care!

Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginamackey
Hi there. I'm on day 12, post-op, after my tonsillectomy. I'm having so many problems, and am wondering if it's unusual, or typical of someone my age (I'm a 51 yr. old woman). I have a horrible earache in my right ear, along with the glands in my neck hurting, as well as my tongue, even my jaw and teeth hurt. I'm also starting to spit up a little bit of blood in my mucus. I can't eat real food yet, and my doc told me that my throat's not healing very well or very fast, and to stay on the mushy food diet. Anyone else going through this or am I all alone?
Hi Ginamackey,
I'm 45 and post op day 41 from the second surgery-my original surgery was 2/10/2006. I had all the things you mentioned and post op bleeding requiring a second surgery. Not fun at all. Then I had thrush for 2 1/2 weeks!! I understand why babies cry when they have it. I was on a soft diet for 3 1/2 weeks. My doc had difficulty removing my right tonsil because it was intertwined with the muscle! So I had a large "hole" in my right side tonsil bed. It's healing real slowly, a small hole now, that keeps me from properly pronouncing certain words. I was on pain meds for 3 weeks every 4 to 6 hours around the clock and tetricaine spray (for my throat). I went throught 4 bottles of that!! My teeth still hurt occasionally. My body still requires 9 Ĺ to 10 hours of sleep every night. I still am not eating everything I did before surgery. I had my first steak last night! Oh so good! With anything I eat, I make sure to take small bits and chew real well although I don't eat hard food, chips, wheat thins, ECT. I still can't taste food in back half of my mouth so most thing still taste like cardboard. Oh to taste dark chocolate!! I have a "thick" spot in my throat. I was instructed by my doc not to lift anything over 15 pounds, and no running or jumping! I still don't have volume in my voice and it get tired fairly fast. My doc told me that I had a lot of healing to do at day 18 (3/2/06) and scheduled my next appointment for May 2!!! Thatís 11 weeks!! Iíll be glad when all this healing is finished.
Don't be afraid to take your pain meds if you need them. They kept me sane. I hope you and every one else feels better soon.

Last edited by 2catfans; 03-26-2006 at 10:14 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
(female)

UptowngirlNYC HB User

Hi Gina and other ladies!

Gina, you are absolutly right...I miss NY more than anything! I have been living in Sweden for 9 years now and still think about the city every day! I was uptown by the GW Bridge and got over to Jersey often..Garden State, Paramus, etc...What we do for love!

rezendej, what I wouldn't do for a good Chinese delivery place here! Not only do they not do the delivery thing, they don't even have the soups we know! So weird to try to order Moo Shoo and they look at me like I have three heads, they never heard of that here!!

Tonsils....I too find it very difficult to see anything in the back of my throat. The little I see looks like puss and new things hanging where they aren't supposed to be! Rezendej, I agree, mashed potates don't go down well. I tried some scrambled eggs yesterday and that wasn't so bad. It went down. The mornings are the worst though...throat feels like fire. My tongue also aches, all the way in the back of my throat. Anybody have similar pains?
Not only do I have no meds left, there isn't even a follow up visit here!!! It feels like things are going in the right direction though, but I also had no idea this would take sooo long and be so painful. Why didn't they warn us?
Gina, I also feel crappy and tired. Had to force myself up early today to try to get back to life. I have been wondering though, where'd my hunger go?! Definitely happy I haven't been hungry and pleased to go down a few pounds! I feel like I am supposed to eat though so I try....popsicles and any soup are still my favorites.

I'll check in tomorrow...good luck with your day!

Lisa

Old 03-27-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
(female)

ginamackey HB User

Thanks everyone, for your comments!! Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one having a long, painful recovery. Months ago, I made reservations to fly to CA to visit my parents for a week, supposed to leave this Saturday. I just don't know if I'll be up to going. I see my doc again on Friday, and I'm really hoping he says that my throat's finally starting to heal and that it's okay to go. We'll see! Tomorrow will be two weeks since the surgery, and I definitely feel better than I did even five days ago. It's such a long, gradual process, more gradual than I ever expected it to be. Everyone hang in there!!!! And thanks for the support, I really appreciate it!!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:23 AM   #8
(female)

UptowngirlNYC HB User

The two week mark seems to have been the turn around!
I feel like a new person today, they weren't kidding when they said
two weeks. I seem to have regained my energy and have been able to eat more than the past two weeks put together. The strange metallic taste is fading and the swelling seems to have gone down as well.

Hope everyone else has had the same luck!

Sounds like you just might make your trip Gina! Good luck!

Closed Thread