It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
(male)

paul_to HB User
Can it be my cat and an E. tube problem?

Hi Everyone,

I have been suffering for 2 years with the same problem and I can not get any relief. My symptoms include the following:

1) Fullness of the ears
2) Constant diziness from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep
3) Feeling not quite myself
4) Lack of concentration
5) A feeling like when I swallow with an empty mouth there is something like mucus dripping from the top of my throat
6) A drop in hearing, can't hear anything clearly when it is loud when other people can and trouble hearing when someone whispers. Also I have trouble hearing when someone talks when I am not expecting
7) Overwhelming nervousness in certain situations, in my opinion it might be a mental reaction because I have to "deal" with the problems above

It all started 2 years ago at my grandmothers funeral when I had a bad cold. We were close so combining the cold and the grief my nose was running like crazy. The symptoms were not bad for the first 6 months, more annoying then anything. Eventually the symptoms got worse so I started staying home more to allow my body to recover. Now 2 years in and the problem has gotten to the point I don't go out much and it is really driving me crazy.

I live with an indoor cat that does shed quite a bit. I have hard wood floor and atleast once a week I need to vacuum the cat hair off the floor resulting in a golf ball size ball of hair. I live in a small one bedroom apartment so it builds up quite quickly.

The one thing that makes me believe it is not my cat is last year I took a week long vacation to florida, spent most of my time outside golfing, swimming, visiting a few theme parks but all in all not really around any animals and I don't remember seeing any cats the whole week. My symptoms were not as severe then as they are now so social activities were much more bareable. On the other hand the reason that has me suspecting it is the cat is during a visit to my brothers house last year I was very blocked up. He and his wife have 3 cats in a regular sized two bedroom apartment. The house was also very dusty at the time as they were both really busy (one writing a thesis for their doctorate and the other in final exams) and hadn't cleaned up beyond the regular wipeing down the visible areas for dust and cat hair. It could have been the dust or it could have been the cats causing me to block up. An anti-histamine help at the time but now it does nothing.

I have had my wisdom teeth remove in the last year as a dental surgeon thought it might help but after the surgery my symptoms were worse for a while, settled down and now I am back to where I began. One thing of note from this experience is my dental surgeon told me one of the roots of one of the teeth were close to my sinus cavity which may cause the diziness but it did not explain the "full" ears.

I find opening my jaw wide and yawning helps for a few seconds but then it all comes back. I now find myself doing this exaggerated yawn a lot with out even noticing I am doing it which can be embarassing. During this yawn I hear some sort of small popping noise in my ears.

I can go on but I fear no one will read this post if I go to long. Thanks to all that made it this far. I am hoping to an ENT doctor soon, over the last two years I have never been refered to one even though it would seem the logical choice. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
(female)

Lynda1234 HB User
Re: Can it be my cat and an E. tube problem?

Go to the Inner Ear Board. It sounds like an inner ear problem and the people who write on that board may have some suggestions.

Closed Thread