It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2006, 03:08 AM   #1
(female)

Gina2006 HB User
Unhappy Addicted to Afrin - HELP!!!

Its 4:00 in the morning, I have been addicted to afrin since my last pregnancy - about 4 months. Its just getting worse. I went to bed this evening with the thought I was going to quit cold turkey - well now like I said, its 4:00 in the morning and I cannot sleep, much less think because I cannot breathe. I can't even use any more Afrin because I can't breathe in. My ears are clogged, my head hurts, my throat hurts and I honestly feel like I am going to die - - - has anyone else ever gone through this - quitting cold turkey??? If so, how long does it take before you can breathe again and CAN you ever breathe again? I feel like I am never going to breathe again.. its scary... I'm so miserable... I have a 10 week old and a 20 month old - I HAVE to be awake and alert for them and with this going on, heck, I can't even concentrate on myself... I'm scared... anyone with any advice? Its too late now to even use Afrin again, like i said, i tried and since i can't breathe in, i can't use it, so i'm stuck and screwed.. maybe its a good thing.. but i don't know.. i'll quit rambling, hopefully someone out there can help and/or offer a sympathetic ear ... thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to Gina2006:
schliep2115 (12-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
(male)

jeffbob HB User
Re: Addicted to Afrin - HELP!!!

Have you been to an ENT? I have used oral decongestants like sudafed and a steroid nasal spray. They haven't worked quite as well as the nasal decongestant but it did provide much relief. Without this I would probably be addicted to afrin too. Also, sleeping with my head elevated has helped. Over the past 4 weeks I have gone from extreme sinus pain, stuffy nose, and plugged ears. Now I just have plugged ears and a bit of stuffiness. I would recommend seeing an ENT to see your other options. I know how tempting it is to use the afrin. Hang in there! I hope you feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I've used Otrivin nasal spray (I don't know if it's sold in the U.S.). I also became addicted to it. And it has some ingredient that not's good for people with high BP. My ENT gave me Nasonex which I use once a day. I haven't used the otrivin for a week, and will not go back to it. Sometimes my nose gets blocked, but eventually it clears up. This happened to me once before many years ago - I didn't go anywhere without my nose spray and eventually my doctor told me to get off it completely.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #4
(male)

mather HB User

I would suggest you having your primary doctor help get you off the addictions. It's really tough once it gets a hold. I think my wife was addicted to Sudafed. Continues taking it, thinking it will help but it just made her feel more "sick". Luckily her doctor gave her a prescription to help with the withdrawal and told her to stop taking anymore. We learnt it the hard way that OTC stuff can be quite addictive.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

TXmomof2 HB User

Now that I read this thread, I think my husband may be addicted to Vicks Sinex. He uses it constantly at home and takes it with him everywhere he goes. He says he can't breathe without it. Can someone tell me what the risks of this addiction are? Apparently, he doesn't realize that it is harmful, nor did I. Thanks...

Old 04-27-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
(female)

seagoddess HB User

one way to break this "addiction" is to just use the nasal spray in one nostril. eventually the other nostril will open up and then you can stop using it altogether without suffering. You can also try to switch to saline nasal spray for some relief.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
(male)

DOstudent HB User

I am not sure if anyone has read these posts in a while, but I am suffering from afrin addiction and have decided as of two days ago to go "cvold turkey" off the stuff. It is horrible, my nose is stuffed, my ears are clogged, my sinus pounding. I am just curious what people have tried and how long it takes to be afrin free and be able to breathe again. Also, does anyone use Simply Saline or any "clean" not addictive nasal products. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by DOstudent; 03-06-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #8
(male)

scg1953 HB User

About 15 years ago I to was definately addicted to nasal sprays. About 3 bottles a week for years but just thought I just had really bad sinus problems.
One day I was listening to a Dr. on the radio and someone called in with the question of how to get off of nasal sprays ( I didn't realize until then that they we're addictive). He suggested purchasing a new bottle of your favorite spray. Use it as you normally would but when you have used 1/2 of the bottle, remove the cap, fill to top with DISTILLED water and again use as normal until 1/2 is used... repeat the process until you are now using only water.

I did this and in about a week or so had completely kicked the habit and never felt the rebound effect or any discomfort at all.

I hope this helps ... it sure did for me

scg1953

Closed Thread