It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
(male)

noptical HB User
Thick Mucus

Hello everyone

I had a deviated septum surgery recently (around 2 weeks ago) but it is still difficult to breathe sometimes because of my thick mucus getting stuck back there and not coming out (sounds gross, I know). What can cause the mucus to thicken? I had that thick mucus problem for years and I think it is a little better now, after the surgery. Will this go away or?

Old 04-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
(female)

Mar1 HB User
Re: Thick Mucus

Everyone's different in how quickly they heal and also what problems present after surgery. Are you irrigating using a saline solution? How often have you gone to your ENT for cleaning since surgery? What medications are you using?

If you aren't irrigating, I would recommend it. I use the Neilmed Sinus Rinse which is what my Dr. recommends. You can check their website and find a store that carries it near you or you can order online. I would imagine that since your surgery was 2 weeks ago, you've gone in at least once, if not twice for a cleaning. You may ask your Dr. or pharmacist if there's anything you can take to help thin the mucus out. My ENT told me that I could expect some mucus and globs to come out for the next 2 weeks (my surgery was 4 weeks ago on Friday), but I haven't really had too many problems with it. I do have some mucus, but it's at least coming out. I have good days & bad, mostly good though. But I'm also on quite a few meds to keep my allergies under control which is probably helping (Singulair, Allegra-D, Nasonex and a prednisone burst)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
(male)

noptical HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar1
Everyone's different in how quickly they heal and also what problems present after surgery. Are you irrigating using a saline solution? How often have you gone to your ENT for cleaning since surgery? What medications are you using?

If you aren't irrigating, I would recommend it. I use the Neilmed Sinus Rinse which is what my Dr. recommends. You can check their website and find a store that carries it near you or you can order online. I would imagine that since your surgery was 2 weeks ago, you've gone in at least once, if not twice for a cleaning. You may ask your Dr. or pharmacist if there's anything you can take to help thin the mucus out. My ENT told me that I could expect some mucus and globs to come out for the next 2 weeks (my surgery was 4 weeks ago on Friday), but I haven't really had too many problems with it. I do have some mucus, but it's at least coming out. I have good days & bad, mostly good though. But I'm also on quite a few meds to keep my allergies under control which is probably helping (Singulair, Allegra-D, Nasonex and a prednisone burst)
Thanks for your helpful reply Mar1.
I've gone twice to my ENT after the surgery and after having everything removed from my nose, but had a cleaning only once (if by cleaning you mean, having everything sucked from my nose with some kind of machine).
For irrigation my doc told me to use a 0,9% sodium chloride water solution (not sure how it is called in English, sorry) and apply "Bepanthol" creme afterwards. Helps keep the inside moist for a while.

I just would like to know if that thick mucus problem will go away, or if it is permanent? I'm asking because I had the same problem for many years, can't really understand how is it connected to my deviated septum and what is that thing that causes thick mucus secretions. I searched the net but couldn't find any precise answer.

Also, one last question, did you have any of those symptoms before the surgery, which have disappeared and which were improved:
1. Post nasal drip (I think mine has been reduced by around 50%)
2. White coated tongue
3. Bad breath? (that's the most annoying)

Whoa now that I look at my post, it looks huge Sorry for asking too many questions

Old 04-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noptical
Hello everyone

I had a deviated septum surgery recently (around 2 weeks ago) but it is still difficult to breathe sometimes because of my thick mucus getting stuck back there and not coming out (sounds gross, I know). What can cause the mucus to thicken? I had that thick mucus problem for years and I think it is a little better now, after the surgery. Will this go away or?
My ENT told me to use "Afrin extra moisturizing no drip" nasal spray. On spray every 6 hours for 7 days. It really helped!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
(male)

noptical HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catfans
My ENT told me to use "Afrin extra moisturizing no drip" nasal spray. On spray every 6 hours for 7 days. It really helped!
Did you have the deviated septum surgery?

Old 04-06-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
(female)

Mar1 HB User

The mucus should go away I would imagine, depending on why you have it. I was blowing out quite a bit, I guess for the first 2 weeks and then it lessened quite a bit and I don't really have any problems with it anymore. Might want to see if it's also allergies that are helping to contribute to that.

Didn't have any of those symptoms. I had a really nasty sinus infection that wouldn't go away and that's finally gone now, but didn't really have anything more than that.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noptical
Did you have the deviated septum surgery?
Yes, and turbinate reduction, adenoidectomy, and tonsilectomy all at once. I'm 7 1/2 weeks post-op.

Closed Thread