It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

wiltingflower HB User
White on tonsil normal?

Speaking of tonsil stones..I get those occasionally; not so much but I do have white 'plaques'/ irregular streaks on my tonsils that keep resurfacing. They just sort of disappear then reappear in the same area. I know that food can get lodged in the crypts but this doesn't appear as that. This is actually on the flat surface area of the tonsil. Is this normal for tonsils to have this going on. It seems all this activity so to speak only occurs on the right side. This has been ongoing for several months now. And yes I have been to the doctor and they don't seem so concerned as at the time it was thought I had an infection but this was like months ago and certainly I feel fine now except that the fear is plaguing me now.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
(female)

LisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB User
Re: White on tonsil normal?

I think I know what you're talking about - the white streaks, are they sort of like lines on your tonsils?? If so, this is likely pus...not wanting to freak you out, but I have had seven cases of strep this past year (since June 2005). The first case was really bad last June and I had scarlet fever with it... the second bout I had in August and then reoccurrences in November, January (x2), twice in February and once in March. By November I think I had burnt out all of the pain sensors in my throat and didn't realize I was sick until I literally couldn't swallow anymore...after that point I learned to check my throat regularly because the only symptoms I had of strep were white streaks on my tonsils and swollen glans, which have basically stayed swollen since last summer. Strep will cure itself on its own, however can remain in your blood, even though your tonsils seem to have subsided. Have your doctor do a swab. I've often noticed that only one of my tonsils swells, while the other gets streaky, and at other times, they are both streaky...there is no rhyme or reason, it seems. You might find one tonsil seems terrible while the other one seems normal. If you feel your doctor isn't paying proper attention to your symptoms, then ask for a referral to an ENT for a proper assessment. I'm scheduled for surgery in two weeks and I haven't had any significant pain in my throat for almost a year, but the risk of not feeling the discomfort right away is the damage that can be done to your organs (kidney, heart, etc.). The best way to figure this out is to either have a strep throat swap or a referral to an ENT who can diagnosis you better than your general practitioner. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

wiltingflower HB User

Funny I have wondered if the nerves were dead because the past two times of infection the throat only mildly hurt. Then when I looked at the suckers they certainly looked worse than they felt. *knock on wood* they have not looked that bad in 8 months but the right tonsil looks familiar like it did back then. Just not as much. I thought it might be just irritated. But like last time my throat looked like hell the cultures came back negative for strep. Who knows anymore. I even had to go to an ENT because the first infection didn't seem to be clearing up. They didn't recomment surgery, just said they were cryptic and such. I don't know, maybe the tonsils are just starting to fall out of my mouth like teeth do in some people. Yea gads.
Seven cases of strep. Wow.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

Your comment about tonsils falling out like teeth is eerily familiar, I was joking with my co-workers in January that I suspected one of my tonsils fell out because the other one remained swollen (and now has become my new baseline, it seems!), while the other one I could not find! I half-joking suggested to my co-workers that maybe I had swallowed my tonsil in my sleep! I was beginning to wonder if I had become so accustomed to having strep that I didn't recognize my tonsils when they weren't swollen! The other thing to keep in mind is there are two different kinds of throat infections - viral and bacterial. The viral throat infection will come up negative for strep in a swab, but can still affect the tonsils and have similar symptoms. I'm not familiar with the term "cryptic" but have read that term in other posts. I am from Canada and I believe our ENTs are more reluctant to perform tonsillectomies on adults, possibly because of our universal health care system, instead of private...but my doctor told me that my throat is a mess. I suggest you keep an eye on your throat...like I mentioned before, I no longer have the typical "strep throat" pain sensation, just overall fatigue and flu like feelings in addition to swollen glans, etc. Hopefully your throat will clear up on its own...I know my doctor had me on Clydamiacin (sp?) for three weeks in January which is a non- penicillan antibiotic to try and kick it out of my system. All that did was make me nausiated and exhausted and the strep came back a couple weeks later...very frustrating....listen to your gut...you know your body better than anyone else... I know that mono also has very similar symptoms, and it's only the swab test that distinguishes between strep and mono. If you continue to notice the white streaks, maybe ask for a mono test instead of a strep swab... Good luck!!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi LisaMP,
Your symptoms sound just like mine did before I had my tonsils and adenoids removed in February. I felt like that for 6 to 8 months. It turned out that I had chronic tonsillitis. The night of my surgery, I felt normal, not sick and didn't have the symptoms I had for the last 6 months. Maybe you should get another opinion. I would keep going to different doctors until they find the cause. I hope you feel well soon.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2006 at 06:55 PM. Reason: needless quote clogging the thread - please use the reply button instead

Old 04-09-2006, 06:06 AM   #6
(female)

Hi 2CATFANS,

I'm scheduled to have my tonsils removed in a couple of weeks (Apr. 26). Did you find the surgery worth it? My ENT was concerned that even with a heavy dose of antibiotics for a 3 week period, the infection came back within a matter of weeks. I realize the recovery is brutal, however I've reached a point where its affecting my work - I'm often developing a mild fever 2-3 times a week, usually by 3:30pm. I have a high stress job - investigating child abuse and I'm hoping that I can be up and running again soon. If the tonsillectomy will help to at least reduce the frequencies of being sick then I'm prepared to suck it up and go ahead with the procedure.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
(male)

jeff235 HB User

these are really nothing to be worried about! I know the pain can get bad- but I don't know if this has been said...

basically- those white "rocks" are called tonsiliths. they are essentially dead white cells that have collected bacteria from food and other stuff staying in the mouth.

i haven't found any good way of preventing them- the only way I can think of is having your tonsils removed... but that might cause more infection-since you're losing that line of defense.

just last night i "coughed up* two pea-sized chunks...

they emit a foul odor- but luckily this isn't detected by loved ones, or anyone else for that matter....

cigarette smoking and allergies certainly have some correlation with these.

I'd stay away from decongestants as much as you can- when you have these- just gargle salt water and wait for them to leave.... or try to cough them up (like your hocking a lugey).... I seem to *always* have at least one crypt that won't empty itself... i've been thinking of a way to easily remove them... and the only way i can think of is getting one of those vaccums you see in the ENTs' offices.

Another possible way would be a moderately-pressured irrigation system to splash/blast salt water (would work best-maybe), or regular water solution into the crypts.

try to reduce sugar intake.. as bacteria feeds off of this...

brush teeth after every meal.

STAY AWAY FROM ANTIBIOTICS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE WITH THESE- THEY DO NOT HELP... they might help get rid of them temporarily (1 or 2 weeks)... but that is IT..... and as you probably know, they come and go as is.

ANOTHER THING: Never stick objects in your throat to dislodge the suckers.... I used to stick straightened paper clips (they used to drive me nuts) back there to dislodge them... sure they worked... but i also caused myself to bleed sometimes (which can cause infection, especially when using unsterilized paper clips)

Old 04-10-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi LisaMP,
It really was worth it despite all the complications that I had. My ENT had a difficult time removing my right tonsil and there was a 'space' in the skin of the tonsil bed, which is now the size of a pencil tip at 8 weeks; I had post op bleeding and had to have a second surgery; and thrush for 2 1/2 weeks. I do not feel 'sick' any more! Yea!! I can tell when I have sinus congestion. And best of all, my hubby says I don't have sleep apnea and I don't snore. Be prepared though, most of us take 2 to 4 weeks before we can eat some normal foods and the doctors have told most of us to take 2 weeks off. I will put you in my prayers for a very successful surgery, no complications, and a speedy recovery. Please let me know how you are doing. If you want to read my post, they are under 'tonsillectomy at 45'.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2006 at 06:56 PM. Reason: needless quote clogging the thread - please use the reply button instead

Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
(female)

wiltingflower HB User

No, the 'rocks' is not what I am referring to. This is more or less white streaks or marks that show on my tonsils everyonce in awhile on the surface. Not the balls that come out of the holes. I know the tonsilliths. These white streaks i wonder if could just be milk or ice cream that never left the tonsil and just sits there. I dont know. It seemed to be reducing since I wrote this post so... Tonsils are so weird. I used to never look at them. I wish I had never did 'that one day way back when'. Now I am obsessed with their appearance to make sure they are ok.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #10
(female)

Wiltingflower,

I don't think it would necessarily be dairy product on your tonsil...but I'm not a doctor! Maybe consider having another strep test done. I noticed another thread where a person was talking about how their strep test kept misdiagnosing her symptoms because the infection was in behind one of her tonsils. There are the two types of throat infections as well, the viral and bacterial. I would pay more attention to other symptoms, ie) fatigue, mild fever, flu like symptoms and the like. I'm glad to here they are subsiding and I can relate to the compulsion to keep looking. I was like that for a while because of the deadened pain sensors in my throat! Hope things work out for you!

2catfans,

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers! I just learned today I have strep again! and have to go back on antibiotics - probably up until the time of my surgery...I'm willing to do whatever required so they can follow through with the surgery...I've booked the two weeks off work and am hoping for no complications! I'll probably be writing a lot once I have the surgery given I'll have a difficult time talking. I've looked at your threads and eeek! I'm glad to hear you're feeling positive about having gone through with the procedure regardless. It obviously takes a lot of courage!

Old 04-17-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi LisaMP,
Please let me know how you're doing and when your surgery is. Keep a positive outlook.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-07-2006 at 06:57 PM. Reason: needless quote clogging the thread - please use the reply button instead

Old 04-17-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
(female)

Hi 2catfans,

I'm feeling better...just in type to feel awful for a few week! I'm actually feeling okay about my upcoming surgery - which is Apr. 26. I'll probably start a new thread at that time...I don't want to take this one over from wiltingflower...

Thanks you for your concern!

Lisa

Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #13
(female)

princess12 HB User
Wink Re: White on tonsil normal?

this is true what lisa is saying you can feel really sick and the ones that dont pay attention to you then walk away because you are human and have feeling too so find the one that will pay attention to you and you will know....

Closed Thread