It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

aster333 HB User
Absent sense of smell - anosmia

Hello - looking for anyone like me

I have never had a sense of smell, the condition is called anosmia. I did some research and about 20 millian people in the US have the same condition!!!

I believe anosmia is not treatable.

This is interesting, check out this link [url]http://www.maxuk.net/fascin.html[/url]

I was reading some comments on the webpage (above link) and I always felt exactly like some of these people: I have never known anyone else with the same problem; I pretend I can smell so I donít seem wiered (except with my husband and with my mother, they know) ; my biggest concern is gas leak or smoke from a fire that I would not be able to smell and I really donít care about other smells since I never was able to experience it; as a child when someone gave me something to smell and I couldnít, I thought I couldnít YET and I thought I had to LEARN how to smell later; I can taste just fineÖ

It would be interesting to hear from others who could never smell, your experiences with it and what you know about it. There isn't much information about it on the web.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
(male)

noptical HB User
Re: Absent sense of smell - anosmia

So you was born without the sense of smell?
I recently had a deviated septum surgery and also had my turbinates cauterized (not sure if this is the word) and my sense of smell reduced by around 75% (or maybe more) for a few days. I can say it felt kinda weird because I couldn't feel taste good too (don't know if it had to do anything with the reduced sense of smell or with the surgery) but I cannot say it was annoying, I almost felt no loss at all I believe smell is not the most important sense we have and it's much better to be born without the sense of smell functioning right or not at all, than something more important that could ruin one's life, like sight or hearing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread