It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

angeleyes4458 HB User
Question Inflamed Taste Buds Anyone Else

THIS ALL STARTED OUT BACK A COUPLE MONTHS AGO. I HAD A VERY SORE THROAT AND VERY PAINFUL. FELT LIKE SOMETHING IN MY THROAT. WAS PUT ON THE Z PACK. WELL NEVER WENT AWAY WENT BACK TO THE DOCTOR AND HE SAID MY THROAT WAS INFLAMED AND IT WAS FROM SINUS DRAINAGE AND PUT ME BACK ON ANOTHER ANTIBOTIC FOR TEN DAYS. AFTER ALL THE ANTIBOTICS I DEVELOPED GLOSSITS AND THRUSH. WAS PUT ON DUFLICAN FOR FOUR DAYS AND THEY TRIED THE NYSTATIN. THE NYSTATIN WAS TOO STRONG FOR ME COULDNT TAKE IT BURNED MY MEMBRAINS I WAS FELLING A LITTLE GOOD BUT STILL WENT TO SEE A ENT AND HE SAID ALL LOOKED WELL I ASKED HIM WHAT WAS THE FEELING IN MY THROAT AND HE RAMBLED OFF SOMETHING. HE SAID NO NEED TO DO XRAYS OR BIOPSY AT THIS TIME. IN THE MEAN TIME MY THRUSH CAME BACK AND THE TASTE BUDS INFLAMED AGAIN . BEFORE ALL THIS I WENT TO HAVE SOME REAL GOOD FOOD CHINESE AND MY HUSBAND TOOK ME TO DINNER AND HAD A MIXED DRINK. SOME CHICKEN WITH SOME SPICY CHEESE.THATS WHEN IT ALL STARTED AGAIN. WENT BACK TO THE DOC PUT ME BACK ON DIFLUCAN NOW ITS BEEN 11 DAYS LOOKS LIKE THRUSH IS GOING AWAY BUT TASTE BUDS IN THE BACK ARE SO RED AND INFLAMED AND PAINFUL. TIRED OF IT. MY DOCTOR SAID MY TOUNGE LOOKS FINE HOW CAN IT IN PAIN WITH SWOLLEN TASTE BUDS AND AFRAID TO EAT A REGULAR DIET. PLEASE HELP IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS.I WOULD REALLY APPERICATE IT. CHERYL I FORGOT TO ADD I AM 48 YEARS OLD AND FULL BLOWN MENOPAUSE.

Last edited by angeleyes4458; 04-08-2006 at 10:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2006, 06:33 PM   #2
(male)

jeff235 HB User
Re: Inflamed Taste Buds Anyone Else

i've had this- yours sounds much worse, however.

These *usually* aren't caused by bacteria, so antibiotics will do NOTHING for you. They are viral- if anything more than some kind of food allergy.

I would suggest having an allergy test performed to see what it is that you're eating-if anything- that is having this effect on you.

Mine seems to come around when I drink or eat acidic products... but I am not sure of this.. I just know I try to steer clear of most orange juice...

ALSO- I have heard that this can be caused when you eat something that you're body is not *used to*....

If I remember correctly I had just started drinking Cod Liver Oil around christmas of 05'... I had these on christmas...

there as a cold with it as well... a pretty bad cold...

so it's viral- and.... maybe a little bit of an allergy...

(this is just my opinion- but i believe all the medicine is hurting more than helping in the long run)

Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

angeleyes4458 HB User

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY JEFF. THIS ALL STARTED WITH A TERRIBLE SORE THROAT AND SOMETHING FELT LIKE IT WAS IN MY THROAT. I WENT TO URGENT CARE PUT ON Z PACK. STILL NO GOOD WENT TO MY DOCTOR HE SAID IT WAS SINUS DRAINAGE AND PUT ON ANOTHER ANTIBOTIC FOR TEN DAYS. STILL NO HELP. FELT BETTER FOE A COUPLE WEEKS AND ENDED UP AT URGENT CARE AND HE SAID I HAD INFLAMED TASTE BUDS. GAVE ME MAGICAL MOUTH WASH. AFTER A FEW DAYS WENT TO MY DOCTOR THROAT BURNING STILL SOMETHING IN IT IT FELT LIKE HE SAID I ALSO HAS SOME THRUSH. PUT ON BACTERIAL MED WENT AWAY FOR A FEW DAY WENT BACK TO EATING SOME NORMAL FOODS AND BOOM ALL BACK THE THRUSH AND SOMETHING STILL IN MY THROAT AND TASTE BUDS INFLAMED IN THE BACK. IN ALL THIS TIME I HAD WENT TO SEE AN ENT AND HE SAID ALL WAS GOOD BUT I TOLD HIM I FELT SOMETHING IN MY THROAT HE RUMBLED SOMETHING OFF AND I LEFT THERE WITH NO DIGNOSIS. NOW HERE I AM STILL THE SAME. I HAVE A BAD BACK I SEE A CHARP AND HE TELLS ME ITS ACID COMING UP FROM MY STOMACH. THATS DOING ALL THIS . HE WANTS TO GIVE ME NATURAL VITAMINS AND SAID THEY WILL CLEAR IT UP. I DONT KNOW WEATHER TO GO BACK TO MY DOC, ENT OR TRY THE NATURAL WAY. THANKS AGAIN CHERYL SO THIS IS ME FLOPPY!

Old 05-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
(female)

teree2019 HB User

Cheryl,

This is EXACTLY what's going on with me. I went to the doctor two weeks ago with a really bad sore throat. I usually get a sore throat this time of year due to allergies and sinus drainage, but I wasn't able to eat it hurt so bad. But the doctor said it was just drainage and gave me penicillin V (never had that before --usually take a Z pack or amoxicillin) and a prescription strength antihistamine. About four days into it, my taste buds became inflamed and I down right lost my sense of taste. I had cotton mouth and was just an unhappy camper. I stopped the penicillin two days short (probably a mistake, I know) but the mouth problem persists. My tongue has a burning sensation and the tip of my tongue is super sensitive. I have stressed myself to no end over this .... if you have any luck with your medications, please let me know. I'll try anything .... on the upside, I have lost 5 pounds.
Teree

Old 05-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #5
(female)

angeleyes4458 HB User

Teree,
I Have Been Thru So Much The Last Three Months. Been To Urgent Care To My Gp To An Ent Twice And You Will Never Believe I Went To The Gerd Board And There Something Told Me I Had Acid Reflux. The Slient Kind. I Myself Went To My Doctor And Told Him What I Had. My Mouth And Tounge Has Been In So Much Pain I Would Cry Thinking It Was Really Bad. So I Wasnt Happy With My Doctor And Still Went Back To The Ent. He Never Tested Me Or Nothing. The Feeling Of Something Stuck In My Throat Inflamed Taste Buds And Could Not Eat Still Cant Some. Today I Found Me An New Ent The Other One Barley Looked In My Mouth,the One Today Pulled My Tounge Out Examined It Reallly Good. And Stuck A Mirrior In My Throat And There Showed It All. He Saw Damage From Acid. I Have The Slient One. Its Called Lpr. I Never Got Better Either It Just Keep Getting Worse.i Have Been On Prevacid 30 Mg For Almost Three Weeks. I Am Seeing A Difference. He Said He Wants Meback In 6 Weeks And May Have To Change My Meds. Also On A Very Strict Diet. No Coffee No Tea No Pop Fatty Foods Choclate. And Only Been Drinking Water And Fat Free Milk. Go To The Gerd Board Check It Out. All My Post Are There Now.good Luck. I Found My Own Problem Shame Isnt It. Cheryl Also You Dot Have Heartburn With Lpr. So Go To The Gerd Board And Post There. They Told Me There I Had The Signs Of Lpr.

Old 05-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
(female)

angeleyes4458 HB User

I FORGOT TO TELL YOU BOTH ENTS SAID IT WAS NEVER THRUS I HAD ITS FROM ACID AND DRY MOUTH! 99 PERCENT OF PEOPLE NEVER HAVE THRUSH ONLY ONES WHO HAVE HAD CHEM AND RADATION.WHATS UP WITH MY DOC SEEN HIM ABOUT 6 TIMES FOR THS AND I GO TELL HIM WHAT I BELIEVE WHAT I HAVE! CHERYL

Old 02-23-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
(male)

sydout HB User
Tongue is sensitive and feels "raw"

For about a month now my tongue has felt like I burned it on hot food, but it's the entire tongue and I know I haven't burned it. Things don't taste the way they used to. I started taking Zyrtec about 2 months ago, but I haven't found anything that would indicate that this would be a known side effect from that medication. Anyone have any ideas?

Closed Thread