It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

MollyF HB User
Unhappy Any suggestions

My 5 year old daughter had an adenotonsillectomy last Wednesday. She has been having off and on moods where she is happy or crying from pain.

She hasnt taken to ice-creams, jellos, and puddings as well as I expected her to. My 7 year old son had the same surgery late last year and he gulped everything in site.

Another thing is that she complains of ear ache everytime she drinks or eats something. Is that part of the recovery process, because my son did not have any ear aches.

I've been reading that the most painful part is yet to come, when the scabs start to fall off. Is that true for children as well? With regard to my son, other than a few nights where he got up screaming in pain until he drank some cool water, he did not have any other pains, nor did I notice anything unusual.

With my daughter, every day seems to drag by.

Could any give me any suggestions to ease her pain.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User
Re: Any suggestions

Oh, man, I feel for you!
My 4.5 yr old daughter had the same surgery 6 weeks ago (and I had a tonsilectomy 7 days ago at age 37!), and after 6 days I had to take her to the ER to get treated for dehydration, because she could not/would not eat and barely drink. She had lost 5.5 lbs, which is a TON when you only weigh 56 lbs to begin with!
It really took about a month before she was completely back to herself and feeling well, which is not typical for a child having that surgery.
I know that ear pain is typical, as there is a common nerve shared with the ears and throat.

I wish I had advice for you, but all I can say is watch her carefully!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread