It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
(male)

Capiqoo HB User
Clogged Ear

hey Guys Sometimes i get this feeling in my ear like its clogged or something... i was recently sick and all my sinuses were congested but now im over the cold but my ear still feels like its clogged with something.... I can pop it and unpop it but nothing works... does anyone know what this could be? or how long it lasts?

-man in need

Old 04-15-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
(female)

bugjune HB User
Re: Clogged Ear

Capiqoo,
I'm no doctor, but have about 50 years of ear prob *experience*!

Your clogged sensation could be middle ear infection (more common in kids), the result of fluid in your eustacion tubes.

Suggestion: do NOT take antihistamine! Believe it or not, these will prolong middle ear/fluid probs and you could end up with permanent tinnitis or hearing loss.

Just go to an ENT doc in your area (hospital, clinic) and get an expert opinion on this.

I had clogged ears resulting from a bad cold as a teenager, took antihistamine, suffered plugged ears for about 2 weeks and totally damaged my ears. I ended up with permanent tinnitis.

Good luck with your healing. Don't delay.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I have "clogged", ears for 5 weeks now, although they are getting better. This happened because of a cold, and I had to fly home like that. 3 different doctors have checked me - there is some fluid there, and it takes quite a while for it to dry out. My ENT gave me Nasonex - once daily and it seems to be helping. I need to be patient.

Old 04-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #4
(male)

Capiqoo HB User

so dont take antihisthamine spray with a clogged ear? damn my doctor just gave me a prescription for it right before i got the ear problem

Old 04-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
(female)

bugjune HB User

Sorry, I meant avoid antihistamine pills (like Coricid....). I didn't spell that out cuz I wasn't sure it's "kosher" to talk brand names here.

Again, I'm no doc, and have no experience re the spray. I just found for me taking pill form antihistamine was killer for my ears. I've also read this online (ditto for anti-inflammatory cortisoid meds).

You may also want to have a hearing test done to see if this is impacting your hearing. Hope it clears up soon!

Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

What type of antihistamine spray did the doctor perscribe for you?

Old 04-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #7
(male)

Capiqoo HB User

thanks... im going to make an appointment with my doctor soon if it doesnt clean up.. imc urrently trying to sleep on the other side of the problem so maybe to see if its internally.. thanks for the help

oh yeah he prescribed um.. cingulair i think? i'm not sure.. it may be pills

Last edited by Capiqoo; 04-17-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
(female)

Vickie306 HB User

I had a lousy wet head cold about 1 month ago. It lasted about 1 week, normal type cold, not eventful.

Anyway, about 2 1/2 weeks ago I woke up dizzy, queezy, (motion makes me sick) slight headache and my left ear felt really clogged or full/tight and I could hear a blood rushing sound to the timing of my pulse. I hate taking pills, so I just dealt with it. After a couple of days the dizziness and queezies were gone. The headache only lasted one day and it was mild anyway.

But the ear pressure, tenderness, clogging sensation, blood swooshing sound, cheek bone tightness came and went. Just when I thought I needed to call my internist, it would seem to just vanish, then start back up again. Finally had enough last nite, and went in this AM. $68 office visit and was told "yep, your on the down swing of a viral ear infection. It's rapant, we're seeing people with ear symptoms varing wildly. Here's some samples of Clarinex.

Now I sign on the board, and see someone experienced ear problems say antihistimines screwed her up big time. Now I'm very very hesitant to take the first one!!!

Closed Thread