It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

megaroo83 HB User
Swollen uvula after tonsilectomy

Hello,

I had a tonsilectomy 10 days ago and my uvula is still super swollen. Is this normal?

I had a gagging/vomiting problem and I figured out it was because my uvula is sitting on my tounge and was choking on it. (yum)

Seriously, i thought the swelling would be gone by now... wahhh...

Old 04-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User
Re: Swollen uvula after tonsilectomy

My uvula never did get that swollen, but my tongue was VERY swollen until just about three or four days ago, and I'm on day 14.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

megaroo83 HB User

Hmm. Maybe it's because I had a tonsilectomy as well as a quadroscopy (camera to look at my throat).

I go for my followup on tues, so I'll ask...

It feels like I am going to swallow it sometimes!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaroo83
Hello,

I had a tonsilectomy 10 days ago and my uvula is still super swollen. Is this normal?

I had a gagging/vomiting problem and I figured out it was because my uvula is sitting on my tounge and was choking on it. (yum)

Seriously, i thought the swelling would be gone by now... wahhh...
Hi Megaroo,
My uvula was also swollen after my tonsillectomy. I believe that it's totally normal. It will go down soon. I hope you feel well soon.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
(female)

Catt18 HB User

hey well i'm on day 12 and my uvula is still extremely swollen. I think that's pretty normal It's really annoying though. But mine looks a lot better then the first week.
jasmine

Old 08-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
(female)

kikiboniki HB User

i am on day 8, and my uvula is also quite swollen.... i can feel it on the back of my tongue, and it is very annoying.. grrr

Old 08-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

alwaysdizzy HB User

Hi! My son had his tonsilectomy On July 24 and one of the things we were definitely NOT prepared for was the swollen uvula! It looked like the size of a thumb! It kept gagging him and kind of freaked him out at first as it seemed to almost block off his breathing and he often felt like he was choking. I felt so badly for him. It was awful. The doctor said some people swell more than others and he was really swollen. He also got sick a few days in and kind of..sorry to be gross..threw up his uvula... and had to get it back down off his tongue.. he survived though and swelling is all gone now and I would say it was about day 11 when the swelling finally went down. His tongue was also swollen. The doctor did say they would start another dose of steroids if swelling did not go down so maybe if you are still really swollen you might need that. They also say drink lots of water and icy things but I found that did nothing at all unfortunately but you can try it..
They just do not tell you half of the things you are going to have to deal with. I guess they do not want to scare you off! It surely is a rough operation to recover from but you eventually will!! Hang in there

Closed Thread