It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
(male)

popsandfriends HB User
Something in Throat?

Hello,
For the past few weeks I've had some definate stress issues, and most have them have revolved around choking. Three weeks ago, i had a huge nose bleed, and thought it was runnign dow nthe back of my throat so i stayed up all night thinkin about it. The next week I went to my orthodontist, and he had to take exrays, inserting things that restricted my tounge movement, i was chokin on spit but couldnt swallow, very bad experience. Finally, i was at the babers shop a couple days ago, he put a band around my throat so hair wouldnt get down my shirt, and it was right across my adams apple. Two nights later, I couldnt sleep on the pillow cause it kept feeling like my adams apple was being pushed into my throat, and ive had that kind of feeling ever since. IT feels like my adams apple is larger, and protruding into my throat, almost feeling like snot, the way it hangs at the back of your throat (postnasal drip) but i havent had any allergies or anything. Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
(male)

popsandfriends HB User
Re: Something in Throat?

Also, im constantly awallowing, but that does not relieve the feeling. could this be a Cricopharyngeal spasm?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

aswander HB Useraswander HB User

You probably would never think of this, but "lump in throat" feeling is a primary symptom of acid reflux, when the acid escapes your stomach and travels up your esophagous. A special subset of reflux sufferers experience laryngeal reflux - in which the acid keeps going, comes out of the esophagous and gets into the throat. The major symptoms of this type of reflux, called laryngeal-pharyngeal reflux (LPR) are "lump in throat", chronic cough, or both together. You can have just one or the other easily.

You mentioned that you had been under a lot of stress - and stress, for unknown reasons, is strongly linked to the onset of acid reflux.

You can treat this pretty easily.

There are 2 classes of drugs. H2 blockers and PPIs. Skip the H2s and go straight to the PPIs because LPR is more stubborn than the other kind of reflux called GERD.

Prescription PPIs fall under the brand names Nexium, Aciphex, Protonix and Prevacid. Of these 4, Nexium is the gold standard, and most expensive.

The makers of Nexium, AstraZeneca recently put the original PPI, called Prilosec, on the OTC market. Prilosec is a good drug, and isn't too expensive, but has good reputation amongst GERD sufferers and a poor reputation among LPR sufferers. However, it can't hurt to try it.

I've given you 5 names of PPIs. Many people need to experiment to find the right one for them.

If you do have LPR, 1 pill a day may not be enough. Most LPR patients need 2 doses of a PPI per day, whereas GERD patients get 1 dose. Most people can tolerate up to 2 doses of a PPI pretty well, but there are some who can't and dizziness/nausea seems to be the biggest complaint with 2 doses. I'm personally on 2 doses of Nexium, have full recovery, and feel fine.

You might want to search the GERD board for "lump in throat" posts. There are many LPR posts on that board. I've written to the moderator suggesting they rename it the "Acid Reflux" board as GERD is overly specific, but they haven't accepted my suggestion. So all the LPR patients are posting on the GERD board.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
(male)

popsandfriends HB User

Thanks very much, actually I have had a few bad bouts of feeling acid in my throat lately, it could be leaving impressions on my esophagous and thats why i feel like something is there.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM   #5

jackuk HB User

you could also look up
Globus Hystericus
regards
jackuk

Closed Thread