It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
(female)

darlingnikki HB User
Throat Infection..not Strep.

For alittle over a week now I noticed these bumps on the back of my throat. They didn't hurt or anything...I'm just weird and for some reason noticed them.

Then yesterday I noticed my tonsils were inflammed and swollen...but the thing is they don't hurt or nothing. So I went to the doc's...actually a nurse did a throat swab and set it to a lab. its negative for strep.

I have no idea what it is. The office said they would call in a medication at the RX, but they never did. So I'm a little ticked.

The thing is though, it doesn't hurt or anything. If I wasn't such a freak and never had the flashlight sticking down my throat for no reason....I porbably would of never even noticed.

Anyways, the nurse said it could be some sort of virus....and I have bad allergies. So what could this possibly be?

Old 04-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

darlingnikki HB User
Re: Throat Infection..not Strep.

guess no help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2006, 12:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I've had similar things.. if it doesn't hurt, and it's not strep, it's probably viral or something irritating them and causing them to flare up. They can also have spots on them with no infection, I went through a period where mine were swollen like that with spots, but yet I never developed an infection and eventually it went away. Plus, it could definitely be allergies...

Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

wiltingflower HB User

Crazy i had something similiar as you that started this past september. The doc was like , 'that looks like it HURTS'. My response was , no, but it looks like hell huh? So i got antibiotics and then a week later or so noticed the white spots still there. Second round of anti-s and still white spots. Then 3 ENT visits later up until Nov I still had that white spot inflammation and they said it was probably just a virus that took a heck of a long time to clear up. I never got diagnosed with anything for certain and they took tests... THAT made me mad. It was like they just had the , "live with it or get your tonsils taken out attitude." Ummm ok. It didn't hurt at all which was odd. My guess since they are guards of colds etc..that the tonsils can remain inflamed to be sure it successfully fights off the cold??? I don't know. Hope you are better now tho.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
(female)

darlingnikki HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltingflower
Crazy i had something similiar as you that started this past september. The doc was like , 'that looks like it HURTS'. My response was , no, but it looks like hell huh? So i got antibiotics and then a week later or so noticed the white spots still there. Second round of anti-s and still white spots. Then 3 ENT visits later up until Nov I still had that white spot inflammation and they said it was probably just a virus that took a heck of a long time to clear up. I never got diagnosed with anything for certain and they took tests... THAT made me mad. It was like they just had the , "live with it or get your tonsils taken out attitude." Ummm ok. It didn't hurt at all which was odd. My guess since they are guards of colds etc..that the tonsils can remain inflamed to be sure it successfully fights off the cold??? I don't know. Hope you are better now tho.
ha. its been a few weeks now and it still looks red and inflammed a little bit but it doesn't hurt at all still. when i went to the doctor and they said it was some virus, they didn't even give me anything for it. they said it will go away on its own. its been like 2 weeks now.

i'm thinking maybe its allergies, too. i don't know though. this annoys me that my throat is still like this and i don't know EXACTLY what it is yet. i'm going back to the doctor the 10th so i have him look at it.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
(male)

kmapro HB User

If it is a viral infection, the dovtor did the right thing. I viral infection just has to rub it's course...

The only thing the doctor could do would be to prescribe something to make any pain go away or subside...

Old 05-07-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
(male)

cohea HB User

I've been having the same problem the past couple years. Usually, I don't get sick and it's just one tonsil that gets inflamed. But a couple days ago both of them got inflamed and it seemed like it happened out of nowwhere. Ended up sleeping the past couple days away because I didn't feel so hot. Oh and I also had a high fever with it. Been thinking about it, and maybe i just need to have them taken out.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
(female)

darlingnikki HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmapro
If it is a viral infection, the dovtor did the right thing. I viral infection just has to rub it's course...

The only thing the doctor could do would be to prescribe something to make any pain go away or subside...
But how long does it usually take? I was told 2 weeks, been its been a little longer now.

Closed Thread