It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2006, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

kewlgirl HB User
Doc is recommending Tonsillectomy....

I'm 27 and have always had trouble with my tonsils. They bother me every day even when I'm healthy (hurt and itch) and I'm literally tired of it.

Two weeks ago my tonsils swelled so bad that my throat closed and I couldn't breathe and had to go to the ER to get a shot of steriods to lessen the swelling. It worked for about 3-4 hours and swelled right back up again.

I went to the clinic the next day and my tonsils were still almost touching where my little dangly thing in the back of my throat was being squeezed together.

They gave me a high does penicillian but it's not helping much. Been a week on the meds and still swollen to where I choke on food. I've lost 10 pounds so far from not being able to eat food because I choke on it.

The doc wants me to see an ENT and consider getting them out. At this point, I'm open to the idea if it makes me breathe and eat again but don't know what to expect.

Anyone have any good tips to prepare me if the doc recommends surgery?

Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM   #2
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User
Re: Doc is recommending Tonsillectomy....

Pretty much ditto on everything she said!
Very painful, and hopefully worth it.
I would go back a few pages and start reading for awhile. You should then get all the info you need to prepare yourself. I'm a 37 year old female, and on day 24 post op. The pain is almost gone, though sometimes it's worse, especially if my throat gets really dry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
(female)

2catfans HB User

I'm at 11 weeks post op and I'm still healing and have a lot more to go before I'm back to normal. I'm one of those who had a lot of complication after the first surgery. I can tell you that it was definitely worth it. I'm not sick now, I can breathe, I can tell when I need allergy medication, and I don't have sleep apnea anymore. You can read my post at "Adult Tonsillectomy at 45". Please don't worry, not everyone has complications. The only surgery that is worse than this one, and I've had 13 surgeries now, was shoulder surgery. Please remember that when all the dust has settled, you won't be sick anymore.

Old 04-30-2006, 03:53 AM   #4
(female)

redfishbluefish HB User

Hi,

I am on week 6 post-op and having no pain. I had a relatively uncomplicated time.

Best advice - follow the doctors instructions.

When they say to eat 'scratchy' foods to stop bleeding, then eat them. When they say to take pain relief, take it.

I lived on dissolvable paracetemol before every meal.
Yes, it hurts, but it needs to be done. My pain stopped completely after 4 weeks, and I work in a call centre. You need at least 2, if not 3 weeks off from your life to recover, but you get there and it's all worth it.

Best of luck with it all!

Last edited by redfishbluefish; 04-30-2006 at 03:54 AM.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #5
(female)

megaroo83 HB User

I am just over 3 weeks post-op.

I only really have a little uncomfortableness when I yawn.. and I am still a bit swollen (i'm starting to think my uvula will never go back to its correct size)

But, yeah. Its definatly worth it.

It hurt like hell.... like... i wanted to die... but I think it's because I didn't take enough pain medication... so make sure to do that... hah

Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

Thanks for all of your replies! My consult with my ENT is this Wednesday. To date since my visit to the ER, my tonsils have only shrunk a slight bit.

I was on 1750mg of Amoxicillian a day and it caused a yeast infection so I had to stop taking it for awhile.

Still snoring and having to put the fan at the end of the bed to help breathe and stop snoring.

Also have to chew food 10 times longer to swallow properly.

Will follow-up Wednesday.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
(female)

kewlgirl HB User

ENT said I am "borderline" for needing surgery. Had 3 cases in 6 months and he'd prefer to wait awhile to see if it gets worse or better.

He gave me a few days dose of low dose steriods to try to lessen the swelling but pretty much summed it up by saying "it's not worth" it quite yet.

I'm glad because I don't want to go through the surgery if I don't have to!

Old 05-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #8
(female)

LisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB User

I'm on day seven of my recovery and today was a turnaround day for me (I hope its legit!!). I had chronic strep, but not the severity that you seem to be suffering - that's terrible having to get steroid shots and in your case I would say ABSOLUTELY go through with it. It is a painful healing process and its exhausting, but I would imagine the pain and discomfort you experience with your infections is comparible - so imagine that discomfort lasting pretty consistently for two weeks. I'm sure your pain tollerance is probably quite high by this point given what you've been through. The info. on this site is extremely helpful and you'll get a lot of support - please let us know how your appointment goes and we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
(female)

yellow10 HB User

i had my tonsils out now a couple of months ago march 1st.
I would definitely say get them out-if they are bothersome! i don't regret it for one second, and yes the recovery was painful as I was told it would be, but honestly for me....it wasn't "that' much worse then all the bouts of strep i've had off and on through the years, it was actually easier in a way-and I was prepared for it. Because they gave me good pain medications for the tonsillectomy and I didn't have a fever, etc. Like when I used to get strep! I just drank TONS of water and i don't think my recovery was "that bad" in all honesty. You won't have to worry about nasty tonsils anymore!

Closed Thread