It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

LisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB User
Tonsillectomy - Day 3

Hi folks, well I must say, this surgery is certainly traumatic to the body! My doctor prescribed Tylenol 3s for the pain. I didn't get any sleep the first two nights and barely dozed during the day, so I was seriously out of it, especially yesterday. Turns out I'm allergic to codeine and was covered in an itchy rash yesterday, and throwing up - probably from having an empty stomach, however I couldn't even keep water down. This went on all day until my ENT called me around 4:30pm and changed my meds from Tylenol 3s to Tramacet. I am happy to report that last night I got four hours of sleep at a time - I think I got a total of six hours of sleep. Other than excruiciating pain in my throat (probably from not taking my meds over night), I feel somewhat human - no longer such a space cadet! Just wanting to pass on some new dos and donts - coffee, no matter how much milk you add is just too bitter for your tender throat - baby mashed bananas...BAD...there's too much acid or something in there and it really hurts going down and coming back up! Probably best to mash your own bananas if you're going to go that way - KD - good - the only thing I was able to keep down (well sort of) yesterday - and doesn't hurt as much coming up! To anyone else out there is the midst of recovery or contemplating the procedure, I have to say the human body is amazing and even when faced with such a trauma, its not all bad. For instance - vomiting constantly yesterday - not a good thing, but I've been able to drink tonnes of water since my surgery, so I didn't have the dry heaves - things could always be worse! So far I haven't had any significant ear pain - I'm sure that's to come! and I'm not sure what stage my scabs are at - I've decided not to look back there anymore, because I'm sure that passing out and knocking my head off the sink, just isn't worth making sure I still have white scabs on my throat! I know it gets worse before it gets better so I'm trying to drink as much water as possible and get as much rest as possible in preparation for the next phase! By the way, I find that going for a really short walk really helps clear the head and keeps your spirits up - I can only handle about a five minute walk, but it's beautiful spring weather here in cottage country and the walk works wonders for my spirit and helps me know I'm going to get through this and feel fabulous in time for summer! Take care everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

othyellow HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy - Day 3

just keep drinking! fell better, catch up on your soaps, im on day 19 and it does get much better, im feeling 80% normal now

Old 04-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
(female)

2catfans HB User

Hi Lisa,
I'm so glad you're doing alright! You might try mashed potatoes, vanilla ice cream, vanilla pudding-the cooked variety, vanilla yogurt. Ice chips help keep your throat numb. If your throat pain gets real bad, you can use the OTC throat spray. It didn't work for me but has for others. If it doesn't work for you, there is a prescription throat spray, Tetracaine. Keep drinking and getting plenty of rest. Please keep us posted. Feel well soon.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
(female)

Pixellvr7 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Tonsillectomy - Day 3

These posts on adult tonsillectomy have been a godsend!!! I was released yesterday from the hospital after surgery the previous day. I am beginning day three with increased throat pain and the beginning of ear pain. I was fortunate to have morphine shots in the hospital. It's extremely difficult to drink water but I am trying. I have just been able to tolerate swallowing percocet pills whole but soaking them in water first is preferred for me. I ate a coconut popsickle yesterday but the whole grain coconut in the cream stuck to my scars causing some discomfort. Ice pops are better!!

Old 09-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
(male)

SDKing HB User

Pixellvr7, eat as much as you can in the early days. When the scabs come off...you are not going to be feeling like eating much.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
(female)

Pixellvr7 HB User

Thanks for the advice SDKING. I had major problems swallowing anything today and felt like my throat was closing so the on call doc called in a prescription for a steroid/anti-inflamm. I am extremely thirsty but get strangled just trying to drink water. Hopefully the prescrip will work and I can start getting food/water in before the next period of healing begins.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #7
(male)

SDKing HB User

Pixellvr7, that is odd. When I went home I was given an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory, and painkillers (tylenol w/ codeine and percocet). Later I was given an anti-naseau medicine and erm, stool softener... you'll understand that one after 7 days of painkillers.

The anti-inflammatory should help get your throat down a little. Try to drink water at room temperature if cold hurts. No matter how much it hurts you need to keep hydrated. Trust me, you don't want to dehyrdate, your throat hurts more and you'll end up in the hospital on an IV. You can go 48 hours w/o water, but it gets dangerous past that.

Last edited by SDKing; 09-16-2006 at 12:34 AM.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #8
(female)

Pixellvr7 HB User
Talking Re: Tonsillectomy - Day 3

After about a day where I thought I could do without percocets some fierce ear pain and throbbing tongue spasms set in. Needless to say I am back on the stronger meds, warm compresses and yes.......I'll be asking for fiber relief soon. This forum is great!!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #9
(female)

Pixellvr7 HB User
Talking Re: Tonsillectomy - Day 3

I so hope these are the last bad days for me.

Last edited by Pixellvr7; 09-19-2006 at 10:43 AM.

Closed Thread