It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
(female)

frostedglass HB User
Question Adenoidectomy - - again, 20 years after the first one !!

Hi everyone!! I just want to start by saying that it's been really helpful reading everyone's experiences. It's nice to be able to relate to someone who's going/gone through this. Usually, when I try to explain my "adenoid hypertrophy" with colleagues and friends, most of them look at me like I'm a freak of nature.

Mind you, I feel like one.

When I was 3, I had tubes in my ears and an adenoidectomy. The following year, I also had my tonsils removed. Aside from being prone to ear infections growing up, I had no reason to believe anything else was wrong. ( Hindsight proves to be 20/20 doesn't it?! )

Back in December 2005, I came down with an awful awful cold. I was given two rounds of antibiotics to try to treat a sinus infection, and after 6 weeks and no improvement, I was referred to an ENT for follow up. ( I also learned what the inside of my nose looks like !! lol )

After putting some sort of camera up my nose and down the back ( yuck! ) and an x-ray, he confirmed, that low and behold, my adenoids were enormous. (Which also explains the snoring and mouth breathing. Hmm, there's that hindsight again ) He recommended removal and put me on a waiting list for surgery.

Since then, things progressively started getting worse. I was constantly getting ear infections and had horrible sinus headaches from the pressure. My ENT put me on prednisone (which is a steroid ) to try to shrink the tissue and antibiotics to help clear up the infection. Prednisone was AWFUL - I noticed a small difference but the side effects were NOT worth it. ( That's another thread in itself! )

However, there's a light at the end of the tunnel I'm pleased to say, that after 3 months of hell slash waiting, I'm finally booked to have my adenoids removed on Thursday !! ( May 4th )

Most of the threads here talk about tonsillectomy as well as adenoidectomy, but I'm curious to hear stories from others who have had an adenoidectomy alone, or as a separate procedure from the tonsillectomy.

How long did it take you to recover?
Did you notice a difference in your speech/breathing/sleep patterns?

Any experiences or suggestions are welcome !!

The countdown is on - - 4 days. Surpsingly enough, I'm sooo excited to be 'normal' again. LOL

Last edited by frostedglass; 04-30-2006 at 10:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #2
(female)

frostedglass HB User
Re: Adenoidectomy - - again, 20 years after the first one !!

Well, since not many adults have an adenoidectomy alone, I'll keep everyone updated on the post-op. That way, in case anyone should find themselves in my situation, they won't have as much trouble as I have had finding information.

My surgery was yesterday, at 1:30pm and after admitting and going to day surgery, I was handed a pamphlet titled " Your T&A Adventure " I had a good laugh, as it was about a 6 year old boy who was having a 'spaceship' go into his mouth, nose and ears to make him better. ( How can you tell the majority of these are done on children !? )

I got suited up in my oh-so-glamorous hospital gown and head off to my bed. I was asked a million questions about my health, medication, and if I had any removable body parts, dentures, metal in my body etc etc.

Since my Mom has been a nurse for 25 years at the hospital I was having surgery on, I was completely comfortable. Most of the women in day surgery remembered me being in diapers still. ( Scary thought ! ) I wasn't nervous, just scared that the anesthesia (sp?) was going to make me sick afterwards.

I was given ranititadine (sp?) and an IV was started with saline. My nurse asked me if I wanted my Mom to start my IV. I politely said " No Way!! She'd just tell me not to be a baby if I flinched !!!! " I did flinch, and yes, I am a baby. Yes, even though my Mom didn't put the IV in, she still told me not to be a wuss. I love my Mom. ( No, really I do, I'm so glad she was around )

They made me pee before I went and next thing you know, I'm being rolled down to the OR theatres. I heard the nurses inside the theatre, while I was waiting outside to go in, talking about the adenoidectomy. There were two other kids that day in who were having a T&A, so one asked if I was the 11 year old. The nurse poppe her head out to take a look at me, chuckled and said, " Nope, she's definately not 11 "

I was hauled in, prepped, and my anesthatist, looked at me and laughed. "You have a child's problem, eh?"

Yah yah, I'm a freak. I know this already.

On went the gas mask and I tried so hard to see if I could stay awake, but as soon as my eyes crossed, I was out. The next thing I knew, I was in recovery and I felt like I couldn't breathe, so I immediately started panicking and I had an anxiety attack as I was trying so hard to cough to clear the ick out of my throat. The rolled me on my side, as it made it easier for me to breathe. As soon as I figured out what was going on, I was able to calm myself down, but the sad part is, that even being almost 23, I still wanted my Mom there

Next thing, I remember waking up in day surgery again, feeling like I've been kicked in the face. They asked me if I was in pain, and I said that it wasn't really pain, I was just uncomfortable. I could talk, my throat felt like it was scratched with sandpaper. They told me that was b/c of all the instruments they have to put in my throat and up my nasal passage. I immediately asked for water, as I had nothing to drink for almost 12 hours and as much as I tried, I couldn't get this 'taste' out of my mouth. (You know the sensation you have in your mouth when you bite into a banana peel ? That's what I had, and water only made it worse)

I rolled onto my side and they monitered my blood pressure for an hour ... and then gave me some morphine and gravol. My whole face felt hot so they put a damp cloth on my forehead and the back of my neck which definately helped. My ENT came by and talked to my Mom and explained everything. The good news was the prednisone had helped to shrink the tissue, and there weren't nearly as big as they had been.

I was feeling sorta nauseaus and my stomach felt woozy, but that might have been b/c it was growling. They gave me ice cream, and I just sorta hung out until I had to get up to pee. The nurse had to come with me to make sure I didn't pass out, which was kinda awkward, I have to admit. I dozed on and off and decided that if I was going to sleep, I wanted to be in my own bed at home. The nurse made me get up and walk to make sure I was going to pass out again, and after a couple laps, I got dressed and was discharged, with the doc's instructions and a perscription for Tylenol 3's.

I didn't feel bad yesterday ... I had some soup when I got home and a popsicle and just sorta hung out on the couch. I fell asleep for a bit, woke up, took a T3 and dozed on the couch. I'm trying to drink as much water as possible, but my mouth just seems so dry no matter what I do, so I'm wondering it was something they may have put in my mouth during the surgery? Towards the night, my ears started to burn and my face was hot again, so I grabbed a couple ice packs and tried to sleep, but for some reason, I just couldn't. I popped another T3 and finally konked out about 1am or so.

I woke up this morning feeling like I've been hit by a truck. The only way to explain is that I feel like I have a bad, bad cold. I coughed up a lot of phlegm this morning, none of it was bloody, which means that my burn sites (they used cautery) aren't bleeding. It hurts to cough, so I sort of wheez. I dont want to talk and my ears are driving me insane !!! They are so hot inside and are burning ... but that's just b/c of where the e-tubes are located. My neck is also sore, but that's probably b/c my muscle bed was bruised at the back of my throat from the surgical instruments being 'jammed' up my nasal passage. Trying to breathe through my nose is next to impossible b/c it's still pretty plugged, which I was told to expect until I was healed. I also have a headache - but who knows where that's coming from ?

I've made some tea, and oatmeal and took another T3. ( the phamacist said the codine can make you constipated, so you're supposed to ensure that you're eating fibre - - you can buy high fibre outmeal to help with that) I've turned on Martha, and I'm ready to chill for the rest of the day.

I'm relieved that it's finally done - - and I'll keep this thread updated on how I'm feeling over the next few days.

** I just have to admit that I've got the easier surgery. I couldn't imagine having a tonsillectomy!! This is bad enough. Kudos to everyone who has both at the same time!!

Old 05-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

frostedglass HB User

Okay, so it's been two days post-op. I have stopped taking the Tylenol 3's b/c they are making me feel really drugged up and I don't like the feeling. I've been taking two extra strength tylenol instead about every 6 hours or so, and it's been okay.

Safe to say I feel like garbage. My throat is very sore and my glands are swollen which is making swallowing uncomfortable. Talking is almost impossible b/c I feel like I've lost my voice and when I do talk, it's raspy and wheezy sounding. I hope this goes away and that I dont have any damage to my vocal chords from being intubated I've also got WICKED heartburn. gah!

My nose is still very stuffed up, which I was told to expect, so again, Im breathing through my mouth, which is getting gross. I'm coughing up phlegm every once in a while, some of it's bloody which means where my adenoids were are oozing a bit. ( Seriously, I'm sorry for the graphicness but it's true!) My breath is also rank, and I can't seem to get this awful taste out of my mouth. I'm drinking as much water as possible, but I find it just accentuates this nasty taste in my mouth, so I've got milk, flat soda and slurpees to keep me company. Jello is my new best friend, and I've developed a love for warm cooked pudding and custard.

I am finding that having a cold ice pack behind my neck is providing some comfort when I'm trying to sleep. I also have been sleeping on my side with an ice pack under my ears, just to bring some relief.

If anyone else has suggestions on how to treat the ear pain, I would love to hear them.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
(male)

kmapro HB User

Seeing as how no one else has responded to even wish you well..allow me to wish you a speedy recovery and hopes that you get back to normal soon..

Sorry I don't have any advice or helpful "wive's tales" to let you in on...just hope you get to feeling better soon.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

I'm a little confused about why your ears hurt...is it from the surgery? I also didn't know they went through your nose...but when I had my tonsils and adnoids out, I was young, so I don't remember much besides ice cream! Sadly though, I have terrible sinuses, and am no stranger to ear pain. What I find to help me is a hot shower, as well as massaging right behind my ears...that helps me tremendoulsy sometimes.

Old 05-08-2006, 06:40 AM   #6
(female)

frostedglass HB User

Thank You Kmapro

Just to clarify for you Midget, they didn't go through my nose, they went through my my mouth and up my nasal passage (the space at the back of the throat that connects to the nose )

This may explain why my throat is so sore, since it's had a bunch of instruments 'jammed' into it, and the back of your throat is a muscle bed. My Mom also told me (she's a nurse) that sometimes when people are intubated, it can cause some soreness as well. All I know is that my neck feels like I've pulled something.

The best way for me to describe why my ears hurt is just to reference a diagram. (Which I don't think I'm allowed to post b/c it's from another website) The Pharaygeal Orfice Auditory Tube (I don't think this is the same as the eustacian (sp?) tube is it? ) - - connects in the same location as where the adenoids developed.

A lot of people talk about ear pain when they have their tonsils removed and everything seems to be connected when it comes to the ear, nose and throat. Odd feeling knowing that you have a maze inside your face isn't it? LOL

Anyways, this is day 4 post-op. My voice is slowly returning to normal, although my throat is still and my neck is still very stiff. My ears aren't bothering me as MUCH ... but I found some ear drops (araulgan) at the pharmacy which you put in your ears to help ease the pain and inflammation. They're not exactly pleasant, but I put them in before I went to bed and I found that when I woke up, my ears weren't quite as tender. I'm still coughing up "ick" - - and it's gross, but I'm glad to say that the breathe issue is slowly getting better. That strange taste in my mouth is going away.

Safe to say that I won't be going into work today. The nice thing is that I work for a very large Canadian corporation and they have excellent benefits which allow me to take as much time as I need with full pay. I could not imagine going into work feeling like this ... and I know that I've probably had it a lot easier compared to a lot of people.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
(female)

2catfans HB User

Sounds like this is just as bad as having both tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy done at the same time. Hang in there. I think most of th advise from us who have had both surgeries would work for you. I'll pray for your speedy, complication free recovery. Please keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User

Yeah, I guess everything is pretty interconnected between Ear, Nose and Throat (maybe I shoulda figured that one...considering it's all one Doctor? LOL) I'm no stranger to the connection, considering I almost always have fluid in my ears from my crazy sinuses! Hope you are on the mends now!

Closed Thread