It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
(female)

andvari HB User
Question length of hospital stay for tonsillectomy?

i'm going to get my tonsils removed next month and i haven't really found any information about length of stay. i live in canada, so i'm not sure if that makes a difference. i have to see my doctor to fill out some form and do a physical. that's not for a little while yet and i just want to know what to do wtih work. i can't miss much work, my surgery is on a thursday so i hoped (even being sore) i could go back to work on the monday. i know that it'll be hard and my throat will kill but i'll deal with that. i found online different numbers.. 2 days.. 4 days.. so i just want to know if it's a day thing or i have to stay in for a few days. thanks!

Old 05-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #2
(female)

LisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB User
Exclamation Re: length of hospital stay for tonsillectomy?

Yup - Harlee pretty much summed it up! Good work Harlee. I'm Canadian so I can certainly speak to the labour laws (which are actually provincial re: sick leave - and they're the same for the most part as any other developed country.

Andvari - I just did a big blurb on the thread just belows yours for info. for the people taking care of you. This is extremely traumatic to the body and you are going to put your body/health at serious risk if you try to push yourself too hard. Please, please recognize how serious this is. Your ENT will be able to direct you on how long you should be off and I would follow his/her directions by the book. Good luck with your procedure!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

andvari HB User
Re: length of hospital stay for tonsillectomy?

the problem is money. i can't be out of work for more then 2 days or else i can't pay rent, insurance, my car loan and everything else i have to pay. i don't think having surgery will cover these costs if i'm off work. this job is only temporary for 3 months and i don't want to ruin my reputation since i'm trying to work my way up to a permanent full time position. i know they won't fire me, but i don't want it to give me a bad work history and neither do i want my credit to go down the drain since i have very good credit. that's something i really don't want to screw up. i've been in a lot of pain already for various things.. not just this tonsilitis.. i've had this since november.. i've pretty well lived with migraines my whole life and have gone through harsh gallbladder attacks. i know it'll be painful, but i do have a high pain threshhold, and if i can do it i will because i can't afford anything if i dont.. nothing covers my butt if i don't go to work.. what you all say makes sense.. but there's no way i can stay off for a week. it really is not possible whatsoever.. i honestly would not like to be off but its kind of like being stuck between two brick walls. *sigh* i wanted him to do this sooner but it isn't possible.. i'm not even going to be able to do much for my birthday lol.. i can live with that but i don't see how else i can do this.. unless there's something i don't know.. i have no idea..

Old 05-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #4
(female)

LisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB UserLisaMP HB User

Oh no! You are in a bit of a pickle aren't you...what about talking to your boss before hand - let him know what your aspirations are, and that this surgery is necessary (even though its elective); does he/she present as the sympathetic type? Does your job require a lot of talking, or strenuous activity? You really are going to be hitting the worse period of recovery when you're aiming to go back to work, and I just can't think you are going to be okay...I hate to suggest it, but what about rescheduling the surgery for three months down the road...Are you in Ontario? Look into the EI program and see what it takes to qualify - or maybe talk to your boss about working half days for the week post surgery - I still think that may be stretching it and the risk of hemoraging will certainly be at a higher degree for you if you're working. Maybe talk to your ENT about this...Yikes! I really feel for you. Let us know what you end up doing...

Take Care.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
(female)

andvari HB User

i was thinking about half days just now before reading this. maybe i could go in for the second half of the day. at least i'd be making a bit of money.. maybe i'll be able to cover the minimum.. it'd be really tight. i can't really reschedule because i can't be out of work at any point really.. if i'm going for surgery and starting a new job.. they'll look down on it. i've had something like that happen to me already when i was going through a real bad bout of fainting spells. i was told to not work for a bit, a few weeks later my boss said to not come back eventhough i had a note and was still fainting. nothing i could really do.. but i'm nothing amazing so people could easily find someone better then me if im going to be needing some time off for osmething like that. i know not all bosses are like that, but i seem to find most of them are more interested in profits then their workers well being and health, at least the places i've worked at which probably means any where else i work at will be the same. i tend to stick to the same types of work. anyway.. i don't mean for that all to sound like a sob story or anything, i just want to find a way to prepare for this and to be able to not screw up the rest of my life lol.. i think regardless of when i do it, i'm still going to be in some kind of pickle so i might as well get it done and over with as soon as possible.
i think this place might be a bit more understanding.. it's a government type of work. i still don't want to ruin my chances at a better job there though. i guess maybe i'll just have to play it by ear.. and let them know that that's the only way i can guage it. i haven't started this job yet so i don't know how they'll take it. i start june 12th, then my surgery is 10 days later.. so it might give them enough time to see how hard a worker i am before i go downhill with the surgery lol. egh. thanks. i did read your other thread btw, very helpful.. my pamphlet that the ent place gave me didn't say any of that.. it barely touched onto any post op care. thanks again.. hopefully this won't be as impossible as it seems lol

Old 05-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #6
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andvari
i'm going to get my tonsils removed next month and i haven't really found any information about length of stay. i live in canada, so i'm not sure if that makes a difference. i have to see my doctor to fill out some form and do a physical. that's not for a little while yet and i just want to know what to do wtih work. i can't miss much work, my surgery is on a thursday so i hoped (even being sore) i could go back to work on the monday. i know that it'll be hard and my throat will kill but i'll deal with that. i found online different numbers.. 2 days.. 4 days.. so i just want to know if it's a day thing or i have to stay in for a few days. thanks!
You really need to take off whatever time the doctor says. My ENT said the risk of post op bleeding is on days 3, 6, 7, 8, and 14. That's why the tell you to take 2 weeks off. And that's only if you have one post op complication. If you have more, like I did-post op bleeding on day 3 and thrush for 2 1/2 weeks after emergency surgery, then your recovery time is much longer. It takes about 2 weeks before you're able to speak so people can understand you. I'm at 11 1/2 week post op and my ENT released me with the understanding that I still have a lot of healing to do. (My post are at Adult tonsilectomy at 45) Please see what assistance you are eligible for and definitely take to your supervisor. This surgery is not an elective surgery when your tonsils are infected and swollen and they make you ill.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #7
(female)

andvari HB User

i've had this problem since november, kicked off with a really sore throat and swelling. and i had it before too, but i think it went away for a few months. within those few months though i managed to get larengitis and strep throat.. which i'm assuming was just my tonsils all along with the infection and whatnot. i was breathing ok besides the pain. safe that, i haven't been able to breathe properly in months and have gotten a number of sore throats, strep and pneumonia caused by throat infections.. as well as chronic cryptic tonsilitis? i only JUST found out about that a few weeks back but apparently i've had it for some time from what i described to him.. with my breathing i've managed to find a way to breathe deeper, or lower (if that makes sense) so that i can take in a decent breath.. but it takes effort and it's not like breathing normal. my ent said that if i remove my tonsils, my breathing problem will be cured and no more sore throats like this. i've had a tendency in my life to get sore throats, and breathing problems.. so i kind of need this to get done. i've figured the past few years i'd end up getting them out, was just a matter of time. i did read your post i believe.. i've read quite a few to get a good idea of what i'm getting myself into. i'm pretty sure i need this done. just yesterday i was feeling so sick.. i hadn't eaten all day because of it.. when i got home from work i was hungry but too lazy to cook so i grabbed some chips. on the first bite i started choking.. and i chewed those babies to nothing.. they got stuck somehow but it cleared up with some water and lots of coughing although i was scared for a second or two.
it's going to be hard to do but there's never going to be much of a better time. i think i've pretty well decided that half days would be easier to manage then to start working again after 4 days. if it's too hard i'll take more time off.. if it's necessary. it's still a while away. if it's possible i'll just try to bank a lot of money.. lol.. i just hope there's no complications afterwards. i've always had good surgeries.. so i'm hoping this follows suit i can always hope.
what is thrush? i've heard of this, but don't know what it is..
i'm relieved about the hospital stay time.. i don't feel like being stuck in one for longer then a few hours. my first surgery i was there for about 10 hours and that was enough. when i got my wisdoms pulled, i left the place still half out.. i didn't mind that.. it was easier to sleep when i got home.
i have one last questions.. what would any of you consider the pain to be equal to? i've had some nasty sore throats.. i've had really excrutiating stomach pains from a galbladder attack.. if it's worse than that, i don't think i could handle it.. although i was told that that is pretty well up there with labour. just curious think i would plan 10 days off if it would be that bad.. i'm doubting it.. and hoping it isn't
thanks everyone so far for responding. i see my doc on the 5th.. a long ways away.. til then i get to just google about it all and figure it out myself. maybe i shouldn't be doing that..

Old 05-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User

I returned to work 18 days post OP, and I would NOT have been able to return any sooner. No way. I wait tables, though, so it's physically demanding.
Even still, I don't think I would have been ready for ANY job even on day 10. I think your age has a lot to do with it, though...how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User

Oh, how bad is the pain, you ask?
The consensus is this: IT HURTS REALLY REALLY BAD! I'd rather give birth. And I feel quite qualified to say that since I have had 4 babies, 2 of them natural, drug-free labors!
My ENT said adult tonsillectomy is by far the most painful recovery of any of the surgeries in his field, and many others.
I took my daughter to her ENT for her post-op checkup (she had her tonsils out in February), and when I told him I recently had mine out, he shook his head and said "Ugh, I feel so sorry for you!"

There are some folks that do not think it was too bad, but like I said, most say it is extremely painful.
You should really go back a few pages on this board, and just read, read, read for a couple hours. You'll get lots of good info.
You'll see that days 6-9 are typically the worst days for pain, as that's when the scabs start coming off.
It was bad up until then, but then on Day 7 and 8 I actually cried like a baby. The pain was so much worse, and on a whole different level.

Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
(female)

othyellow HB User

NO WAY you will be at work on monday, no way, no way, no way, no way, sorry

there is just no way, i could barely take a shower on day 4, i felt ok for a couple of hours on like day 8 but there is no way,

on day 4 i had the worst headache of my life and my ears killed and i felt dizzy when i lifted my head off my pillow, no way, no way, no way

sorry

Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #11
(female)

gergurk HB User
Question Re: length of hospital stay for tonsillectomy?

I'm getting my tonsils out on Wednesday (as in 2 days away...yikes!) and I've been told to expect to stay in overnight assuming all goes well. I live in Australia...not sure if it's a different procedure here.

Anyway...quick question...I am due to go back to university 10 days after this procedure...given it will just be sitting there listening to lecturers etc, do you think i'll be up for that by that stage? i have classes from 9am till around 4pm so i'm assuming i'll be pretty drained by the end of it at the very least.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #12
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User

I think just listening to lectures at day 10 will be ok, and I gather from the fact that you are a university student means you are anywhere from age 18- mid twenties? The younger you are, the quicker you should recover.
But you will most likely be very very tired at the end of the day.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
(female)

andvari HB User

i'm 20.. soon to be 21. the doc warned me of it taking 3 weeks to somewhat recover.. and it would take longer to fully recover with time. i'm just trying to figure out the money thing, i hate the stupid stuff but you really can't live without it. unless you're a hermit.. but that'd be a bit difficult to pull off with all my bills lol..

Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 PM   #14
(female)

andvari HB User

ya i will.. i'm still thinking on the whole thing. got a good month and some to think it all out. i think i could be ok without work for about a week.. although i don't like the idea of a possibility that things could go bad. meh. guess i'll have to wait and see huh?

Old 05-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #15
(female)

2catfans HB User

Andvari,
I totally agree with Harlee. I had 2 complications and was in severe pain for 21 days! You are putting your life at risk by going back to work before your doctor releases you. Your boss can't make you work if your doctor won't release you to go back work. And when your doctor does, it will most likey be for light duty or half days. You will be sooooo tired. I slept for more than 12 hours a day the first 3 weeks and still sleep 10 hours a night now. Please take care of you. Give the rest to the Lord. And I promise it will all work out. You are still needed here on earth.

Closed Thread