It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive

Torry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB UserTorry1028 HB User
Suddenly Deaf in One Ear

Can anyone give me some insight? My right ear suddenly went deaf. I try to pop it but it won't pop. I've taken deflamitories thinking this would help if I had a slight inflammation. Antibiotics don't help either. It doesn't hurt, I'm not dizzy, but I have had a little congestion in my nasal passage from allergies since I moved to Texas. It's been a week and a half and I still cannot hear anything from my right ear. It's plugged like I want to pop it but it won't pop. Once in the bathtub I emerged my head in hot water and for a few seconds my hearing tried to come back, but i don't think it is just wax because my ears have never had alot of wax build up. Any suggestions besides going to a doctor since their perscriptions aren't working. I am 60 years old. Maybe just old age? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User
Re: Suddenly Deaf in One Ear

Your best bet would be to see the doctor. It's no use buying over the counter meds that don't work. Sometimes it can be wax, or because I USED TO use q-tips, a small piece of fluff covered my eardrum and blocked it. Sometimes it can be fluid (I had that from a bad cold), and that can take quite a while to clear up. The doctor gave me Nasonex for that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Inactive

what is Nasonex? Is ita deflamatory or antibiotic? doctors gave me this. No help. but I have not been given Nasonex

Old 05-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Nasonex is a nasal spray - that I use once a day. It a corticosteroid and you need a perscription for it. Unless there's an infection, antibiotics will not help. Do you have fluid in your ear? I had stuffed ears for so long - last week I went to the doctor and he said everything is fine. Two days later - one ear blocked up again. It's too wierd, and annoying !!

Old 05-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Inactive

Well, I went to another doctor and guess what? It was simply 30 years of wax build up inside my ear blocking my ear drum. doctor flushed my ear and had to do some picking out and all is well. Yuk, how gross it was. But I can hear! Thanks for responding.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
(male)

streetja HB User

im only 1* but i have the same probloms with only short periods of this deffining i would drink or swallow something then my ear would pop and sounds go quiter and louder everytime i do but it is so annoying when i am trying to listen to something informative

Last edited by moderator2; 05-06-2006 at 09:08 PM. Reason: do not post your age under 17 - please read and follow the posting rules

Old 05-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Glad all turned out well !! I wonder why the first doctor didn't see the wax? Go figure.

Closed Thread