It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
(male)

kmapro HB User
Hurts in chest when swallowing liquids

About a year and a half ago, I started hurting in my chest when I would swallow. I went two weeks with tears in my eyes every time I would even try to swallow water.

It got so bad that i was unable to take my thyroid medication (thyroid cancer 1990) and eventually stumbled into a thyrogen induced depression.

The first time, it was accompanied with high fever and nausea. I attempted a barium swallow but could not do it. I had an upper GI, and an endoscopy.

The endoscopy came into play around the end of the problem. I was diagnosed with severe esophugial (sp?) inflammation. Trust me - IT HURTS!!!

I have always had acid reflux problems and the think this may have been a cause of the problem.

I have not had a bad reflux attack in the last few nonths, but i have started getting that feeling deep in my chest again. Weirdly enough though, it only hurts when I swallow liquids. Food doesn't aggrivate it anywhere near what liquids do.

When it hurts, it is right in the middle of my breast bone. It is not a burn..it is pain.

I have also noticed (that since I started getting this feeling) that my stomach has rumbled and turned a lot..kind of like I am going to have to go to the bathroom with a bad case of...well, you know.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong with me or what is causing these problems???

Old 05-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
(male)

kmapro HB User
Re: Hurts in chest when swallowing liquids

Well, webt to the doctor today. i already knew I had acid reflux, but they diagnosed me with GERD..said it was a severe case.

I go Thursday for a barium swalow - maybe I can do it this time..last time I passed out from the pain I was in.

Unfortunately, my wife will be in the same hospital having just had a partial hysyorectomy....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread