It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
(female)

deadsy HB User
Flushing out an ear

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else has flushed their ear out with warm water... My ear has been plugged for the past two days and I think it's due to wax build up. I have a mole in that ear that kind of blocks the opening, so I am thinking maybe it all of the wax got pushed back and that is why my ear is feeling plugged. It's making me really sick feeling, all of this pressure and not being able to hear is just too much to handle. My husband had this problem last year so he went to the doctor and they just used pressurized water from a syringe and flushed it out. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I wanted to make sure it was safe. If not, are there any other home remedies for this problem? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. thanks!

Old 05-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Flushing out an ear

Peroxide works well

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
(female)

2catfans HB User

My mom has the same problem and she has to go in to the doctor whenever her ear feels plugged up. She said the doctor removes the wax. You might want to go to your doctor. I was always told not to put anything in my ears.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

I totally agree. See your doctor - you'll feel better when your ear is cleaned out, and it's way safer than doing it yourself.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

deadsy HB User

I can't see the doctor for several days unfortunately... so I think I might try something tonight. It is really bothering me today... I've got to do something. I really don't want to go the hospital for something as silly as this, I think that I can do it myself. How do you use peroxide? Is that even safe? lol Actually I did some more research on the internet and found that using like olive oil or something like that works well to soften it up. Then possibly I could try to flush it out with water. Has anyone tried these things? Thank you to all who have responded!

deadsy

Old 05-13-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

arlmon18 HB User

Don't try anything yourself. I know what a blocked ear feels like. I've been having this for almost 3 months. It's fluid, and it takes a long time to go away. If yous is wax, it can be removed, professionally.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsy
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone else has flushed their ear out with warm water... My ear has been plugged for the past two days and I think it's due to wax build up. I have a mole in that ear that kind of blocks the opening, so I am thinking maybe it all of the wax got pushed back and that is why my ear is feeling plugged. It's making me really sick feeling, all of this pressure and not being able to hear is just too much to handle. My husband had this problem last year so he went to the doctor and they just used pressurized water from a syringe and flushed it out. I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I wanted to make sure it was safe. If not, are there any other home remedies for this problem? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. thanks!
I had plugged ears before, I had a wax builded up in my ears lots of times,
and I had the doctor wash it out. It feels really good to have your earwax washed out. I think that you should have your ears washed out, it would help you feel better. That's my advice.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

mhk4000 HB User

you can buy ear wax removal kits from any drug store. They contain this solution that dissolves earwax, and a little ball sucker thing to remove the soupy mess, but I never have enough to use that, I just use a q-tip. Your ear has hairs that naturally push wax out, you just need to loosen it up a bit...

Old 07-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
(female)

BettyRides HB User

My dad is an audiologist, and he had to flush out my ears from time to time. I had some wax built up, and the procedure helped. Unless it's really bad, you can do it yourself, though I think it would be easier with someone to help you. Usually, I lay on one side, and he puts a mixture of peroxide and warm water in my ear. If there's a substantial amount of loose wax, it bubbles/fizzes. After a few minutes, wash it out with warm water. It worked for me, at least temporarily.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #10

Greg HB User

Try a couple drops of hydrogen peroxide solution. Lean on your side, drop in solution, give it 20 seconds then shake the solution out of your ear.

ENT's have this vacuum cleaner thing, they open your ear up real wide, and use the vacuum to suck out everything.

After you get that done, I am told that you should not use Q tips, ever, the ear is not supposed to need manual wax removal, if theres too much wax it will just crust up and fall out. Using Q tip just packs old wax in against the eardrum, I was told that can cause ear problems.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:46 AM   #11
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User

Yikes, you guys are awful brave for doing all of this stuff to get wax out. I cringe at the thought of putting any liquid in my ears, but then again I've had ear problems for almost 34 years! I've told my ENT to not even bother giving me ear drops because I'll NEVER use them! lol Seriously though, I'd go to the ENT to get this taken care of rather than attempting anything myself. What if you actually have fluid in your ear rather than wax, and you only add fuel to the fire by adding more fluid? I'm with arlmon18...go to the DR!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #12
(female)

Windcaller2 HB User

I atm have a blocked ear. I went to the doctor today and he tried to get the earwax out by flushing water in it but after several attempts it did not work. He then told me to use Debrox (an earwax softening solution) in my ears for 3 days and to come back and he would try to flush them again.

I can't stand the blocked feeling in my ear!! it is soooooo annoying!! LOL You can bet I will not use Q-tips anylonger. He said the wax was pushed back into my ear very close to my eardrum.

I never put the Q-tip deep in my ear but obviously just by using one is what caused this problem.

I go back in 3 days for a flushing..I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcaller2
I atm have a blocked ear. I went to the doctor today and he tried to get the earwax out by flushing water in it but after several attempts it did not work. He then told me to use Debrox (an earwax softening solution) in my ears for 3 days and to come back and he would try to flush them again.

I can't stand the blocked feeling in my ear!! it is soooooo annoying!! LOL You can bet I will not use Q-tips anylonger. He said the wax was pushed back into my ear very close to my eardrum.

I never put the Q-tip deep in my ear but obviously just by using one is what caused this problem.

I go back in 3 days for a flushing..I will let you all know how it goes.
Having your ear flushed out feels really good. Yes let us know how it went.
I am curious.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
(female)

Windcaller2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sari05
Having your ear flushed out feels really good. Yes let us know how it went.
I am curious.
I went back 3 days after using the drops to soften the wax and it all came out nicely. The key here is getting the wax soft enough so that when you flush it, it will come out. The doctor said that it would help to use the softening medicine every month or so, just 3 drops. He also suggested returning in 6 months (and every 6 thereafter) to have them checked for excess wax.

There isn't a much better feeling than being able to hear again and not have that full feeling inside your ear after you flush them out.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Gosh! My ENT cleans out the wax with a metal pick looking thing. Much easier than flusing it out!

Closed Thread