It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
(male)

IgyDigitaL HB User
Did anyone ever successfully reduce the swelling of tonsils with antibiotics?

is that possible? I have one tonsil bigger than the other, but I have never suffered from any chronic tonsil pain whatsoever. Just suddenly a month ago, I got a soar throat, it went away, and boom...huge left tonsil. Its huge and having trouble breathing. The doc gave me cipro, (see if it does anything) and astelin spray, but said if it doesn't get smaller, prepare yourself.

What other options do I have before having a tonsillectomy? I have never had problems before, and I don't know how worth it it would be for me to have this surgery if I haven't expereinced any pain at all before...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

andvari HB User
Re: Did anyone ever successfully reduce the swelling of tonsils with antibiotics?

for my problem i had gone in at least 5 times or more with my throat being sore, unable to breathe, all symptoms i've had since november. each time i was put on either 10 day rounds of anti biotics or penicillin.. they'd work ok for a few days then once the 10 days ran out it was right back to square one so really i feel like all those pills i took were a waste of time. they never did any good in the end. i'm scheduled next month to get my tonsils removed. i do have one bigger than the other, which holds the most tonsil stones, but the other one is creeping up into becoming as big a problem. i'm scared shtless to get them out, afraid of the pain, but i haven't taken a good breath of air since last november.. i havent had too many days where i could breathe well all throughout and that does become annoying after 7 or so months... i had this problem a year ago as well. doc's couldn't explain the breathing problem at all, tried puffers thinking it was asthma. gave me all sort of drugs that didn't work and then i gave up since i wasn't in my own province and the medical bill would be costly. that one lasted me a few months then disapeared on its own. although it came back.. which is what i'm stuck with right now. your problem may go away for a while but i think that if it is in fact your tonsils causing the problem.. then the only real cure from what i understand is getting them taken out. unless you're lucky and the problem disapears forever! if you are that lucky, i'll be very jealous..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
(male)

IgyDigitaL HB User
Re: Did anyone ever successfully reduce the swelling of tonsils with antibiotics?

thanks for the advice. I'm going to get a second Opinion to see if I can get some steroids to swell them down...and see what happens. This is only a problem when I exercise, because I have no problems breathing at night to go to sleep.

Closed Thread