It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
(female)

shanz85 HB User
Question Horrible swollen sore throat

Ok I have no idea what this is, but I'm just wondering if anyone out there has the same problem and can offer remedies. Today is Sunday. Since Tuesday, I've had a horrible sore throat. My glands are so swollen you can see them in my neck and they're extremely sensitive. It feels like my throat is incredibly swollen and it's so painful I avoid swallowing the best I can. The only thing that seems to help is ibuprofen, but I've been eating those like candy. I have no other symptoms of being ill. No headache, aches or pains, chills, fever, cough, runny nose.. nothing. Granted, I've gone to a few baseball games, and I do yell, but I go days at a time without going, and the problem doesn't go away at all. It's really starting to get to me. Thank you!!

Old 05-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

stevie_23 HB Userstevie_23 HB User
Re: Horrible swollen sore throat

You may have acute follicular tonsillitis. If your glands are really sore and swallowing is just really, really painful, as well as if the back of your mouth/throat/tonsils having white dots or lumps on them, this could be it. Generally you'll feel rundown and tired too though with this. If it is that, Amoxycillin worked for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

andvari HB User
Re: Horrible swollen sore throat

i had something that had been going on for a few months that sounds similar. but may not be. it basically felt like i swallowed two big balls and they were stuck in my throat. my throat was swollen.. i was even swollen under my chin. the doctor said that it was just a lymph node trying to fight off infection. i had this for a good week and then it lingered which didn't help my breathing problems as it was. i wasn't given aynthing for it though. it came back again not long after.. it was going around my work i think. i didn't go in right away, since it was brushed off. but it didn't go away this time.. by the time i had gone in to my docs, i had some throat infection plus a chest infection. she explained it as the infection being untreated for so long went down into my chest and caused pneumonia. so lucky me, i was stuck with both of these hacking my lungs every day. i took penicillin.. it stuck around a while.. went away about 2 weeks after or so.. then again i had the same problem of feeling like balls were in my throat. that's seriously the only way i can explain it.. i was disgustingly swollen.. no other symptoms besides the back of my throat being covered in a thick layer of mucous which was probably caused by the pressure of whatever was swelling onto whatever creates all that stuff. i wasn't stuffed up or anything. just swollen and tired because i couldn't eat or sleep really.. seen my doc again.. she gave me some antibiotics, but also sent me off to an ent. by the time i saw him (weeks later) this was all cleared up and hasn't come back but i still have my breathing problem left.
my remedy is to go to your doc. find out whatever it is and get something to get rid of it. i don't know if this is the same as what i had.. but if you let an infection go untreated and it doesn't go away on its own easily, you'll probably just put yourself at risk for something else.. like i did with pneumonia. not to scare you or anything.. i'm sure it's just some kind of crappy virus that got you good. regardless, you could feel pretty yucky for a while if you don't get something to help get rid of it.

Closed Thread