It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Exclamation Horrible ENT...

I just came from an appointment with a new ENT - my second so far. I had so much hope for this visit - and sorry but i think this may turn into a vent.

Originally I had a tube placed in my left ear for fluid build up (among other things). And to make a long story short, it "slipped' out of place and ever since I have been suffering terrible sound sensitivity, constant earaches, tinnitus, etc, etc.

So I go to this second ENT hoping for some relief. He sent me for a tympanometer/audiometer and some other test where they hook me up to electrodes to check the inner ear (sorry I don't know the name) - after looking in my ear and saying like two words to me.

I did the test - which may I add was horribly painful - and I go back upstairs to him. He looks at me and he says "You're problem is your jaw joint is out of line. See the Jaw Joint is the floor of the ear, and this is what is causing your pain" and hands me a mirror to show me.

I told him I know I have arthritis in my jaw, that is not what I went to him for. I proceeded then to interrupt him as he had me when I tried to explain my problem to him originally. I asked him if this TMJ could cause constant Post Nasal Drip for over 2 years, if it could cause swollen/painful glands in my neck, if it caused the fluid on my ears... etc... to which he replies "No, that must have just been a virus." Well Doc, this virus sure is hanging around a long time!

And thats not the best of it, He continued with " You need to win the lottery and move to a warmer climate".

He also told me that there is no fluid on my ears at this time. Hm? Well less than 3 weeks ago I had another Doc tell me that the fluid was back, and I have E-Tube Dysfunction, and now it has magically disappeared? Gee, I wish the pain and everything else would magically disappear too!

Argh I am so frustrated. This does not give me any answers or relief from the pain... from the sound sensitivity... from the lump in my throat... from the PND... from the painful glands in my neck... from the hoarse/sore throat... from the ear "popping"... all that has been present for over two years! - and has gotten worse since having the darned tube in. And he says its the weather and I need to win the lottery?? What a moron.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what i can do next? This was ENT #2 and I had waited 3 months or so to see... and still no help. I have tried Nasonex, Flonase, Trinalin Repetabs, Sudafed and still have the post nasal drip and full ears. I have no idea how to relieve the earaches... and I'm frustrated - Thanks doc, you were such a waste of my time.

Sorry this is so long, I just cannot believe he said that to me. and I guess I need to vent a little. If more of my story/symptoms would help, I would be happy to share.

Last edited by Angela22F; 05-23-2006 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #2
(male)

Red Palms HB User
Re: Horrible ENT...

08 17 24 27 34 Powerball:48

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I feel your pain. Every doctor I've been to has no clue as to what I have either. It frightens me that I have more knowledge on the subject than they do. The surgeons do a great job but when it comes to figuring out what's wrong with us and treating our symptoms, most general practioner doctors, GI docs, ENT docs, etc... do more harm than good. Oh, I forgot and they're ignorance, arrogance and incompetence is costing us hundreds and thousands of dollars! Our health care system is in one sorry state.

The best advice I can give is to become your own doctor and research your problem through the internet, library, message boards, etc... Don't take these at face value either because there is some bad information here as well. Think of it as trying to solve one of the great mysteries of our time. I hope you find the answers that you're looking for.

-Red Palms

Old 05-24-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Hmmm, I hope those are winning numbers! I'll cross my fingers

I have lots of experience with ignorant, arrogant doctors, but this one took me by surprise. I guess thats my fault

I guess I just needed to vent yesterday... it still gets me, but o well... My fiance thinks I should sue the ENT who damaged the ear drum... I don't want to go there...

Thank you for the advice on researching and becoming my own doctor... I have been doing that... which is why I went to him. I was armed with a big list of symptoms and previous treatments and he didn't even acknowledge it... just read the referral letter from my GP and I don't think he even looked at me (just stuck and scope in my ear, and kept his eyes on the darned letter). I am my own advocate... and would still be very sick if I wasn't.

It's so sad that there are doctors out there like this... and even sadder that they are still in practice. I mean they are there to help us... we pay for their mansions and BMW's and they brush us off.

Thanks Red Palms for actually reading all that rant...

Angela

Last edited by Angela22F; 06-15-2006 at 05:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 06-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
(female)

Andrea Love HB User
Smile Re: Horrible ENT...

Hi Angela sorry to hear that you still have problems with your ear. I have just taken another ear infection and well understand your frustration. I saw consultant yesterday who cleaned out my ear and told me my eardrum was red and slightly retracted because of the ear infection. I am still being treated for eustachian tube dyfuncation and have been given stronger steroids to take for six weeks. If the problem persists after that time then I think I will need to have the tube inserted as Iv now had four infections in six months and have one very painful ear. I may also need to have my tonsills out as they flare up and he thinks this may be contributing to the infection in my ear. What do you think? You have been treated very shabbily by the ent system and I really feel for you. Going private was the best thing I could have done. Consultant wants to give medicine one last shot as he says if it is not truly etd thats causing the problem then a tube will make no difference. Your problem sounds like an inner ear problem. This can give you pressure and tinnitus in your ear, and if you are having problems with postnasal drip then its fair to assume you have a lot of mucous in your middle and inner ear which can cause tinnitus to.

Suppose all we can do is keep on going and hope that a cure can be gotten soon.

Andrea

Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Hi Andrea

Sorry to hear you are still suffering with this. This seems to be one lingering problem once it develops.

I wish I too could go private. But that is not an option here. I have pretty much resigned to dealing and living with my ear problem (I don't want to see anymore ENTs!). I was told by a GP that it is indeed E-tube Dysfunction. Nothing to date has worked. I have tried Trinalin Repetabs, Sudafed, Mucinex, Nasonex, Flonase and the tubes. Some days are better than others, but I have a myriad of other issues and usually can't tell what is causing which symptoms lol.

As for a tonsilectomy... I am not familiar with this. But I do think that you may have a good doctor there I believe it only makes sense as the throat and ears are all interconnected that if your tonsils are inflammed and show signs of infection, that it would contribute to your ear infections. So getting them out may well help you Just be sure that it is what you want. There are some people floating around that have had tonsilectomies... maybe some of their experiences will help aid in your decision.

That is alot of infections in such a short time frame. Hopefully the new steroids will help. Any surgical procedure has risks involved. And I find that we miss alot of the success stories as most people who come here are seeking help because they are still suffering... anyone who has been cured either doesn't seek the boards advice or leave once they are well. So we get all the horror stories...

I truly hope this is your "cure". Good Luck. Keep fighting... it eventually will get to a managable level. I wish I had some better advice... please keep me posted.

Angela

Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
(female)

Anjjou72 HB User

Angela, do you have allergies? Allergies can cause a lot of grief with your ears, nose and throat. All three areas are effected by my allergies, (even when I'm medicated) and especially the ears. Allergies will cause fluid in my ears, earaches, tinnitus and ear infections especially when my sinuses are affected. I should also mention my ears are slightly screwed up due to the fact that I've had tubes hiding in them for the past 22 years! Instead of falling out like they were supposed to, they went in further and stayed undetected until just recently! I imagine they have been causing their own problems, but I'll say that allergies cause the majority of my problems. As for the tubes, they're finally coming out on July 17th and I think I'll save them since they've been a part of me for so long! LOL

Old 06-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
(female)

Andrea Love HB User

Hi Angela thanks for replying. I dont know if there will ever come a time when I can resign myself to the life Iv got at the moment. I pray for the day i will wake up and this will all be in the past. My ear is squelching and cracking when I swallow, do you have this? The tinnitus is louder after every infection and its making my life a misery. My ear is very painful just now with this last infection and I can only wait and see what happens when this settles. The stronger steroids (Betnesol) seem to be opening the tube up a lot more I can blow air through my ear nearly every time I try, which is an improvement. Hopefully when the fluid drains the noise might diminish. Betnesol steroids are 10 times stronger than Nasonex, can you get them in Canada? I know a guy who got a t tube put in his ear, which is a longer lasting tube than normal as he had eustachian tube problems and really bad tinnitus. He tried the steroids and they didnt relieve this symptoms so he went down the surgical route and he is now back to normal, no tinnitus and no other problems. I dont think I have any choice but to go ahead with the tube and tonsillectomy if my symptoms dont improve within the next few months as the ear infections will probably be causing a lot more problems to my eardrum. Have you taken any ear infections with etd? What are your symptoms at the moment. I wish I could just make a decision on what Im going to do but Im worried it will be the wrong thing to do and I will end up even worse off that I am just now. The ent consultant does seem to know his stuff but I dont think he understands how upsetting the tinnitus is. At my next consultation I think Im going to ask if I can be referred to tinnitus retraining therapy as I feel I really do not help now with this as Im struggling to deal with the noise. Have you tried any treatments for the tinnitus?

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Andrea x

Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Anjjou72 - I have not been tested for allergies since i was a child. It's funny, through all of this, not one doctor even mentioned that as a possibility. One ENT suggested I have paralyzed cilia... but did not investigate for reasoning. I think my next step will be to have testing done... but doctors hate when I am proactive lol.

And the tube thing is crazy! I can not imagine how your doctors could have missed those after 22 yrs! I think I would want to bronze and mount them lol.

Andrea - squleching/cracking; yes, I have that. It eventually does get to a liveable level, as crazy as it seems. But I still deal with it everyday.

My doctor told me that the strongest nasal spray is the Nasonex... I may have to ask about the Betnesol... I have not heard of it. I guess it is possible that it is not available here.

T-tubes may be longer lasting tubes.... but they also have a higher risk of permanently damaging your ears. Short-term tubes are smaller and typically stay in place for six months to a year before falling out on their own. Long-term tubes (t-tubes) are larger and have flanges that secure them in place for a longer period of time; these may fall out on their own, but removal by an otolaryngologist is often necessary.

I haven't had an ear infection that has been confirmed by a doctor... just lots of pain and tinnitus and fluid.

Currently, I have daily ear aches, tinnitus, popping, pressure/blocked/full feeling, swooshing/ocean sound when I move my head, sound sensitivity, PND and some throat irritation w/swollen glands... I think that is it. But I have decided that this will not control my life, and try to continue on with my normal everyday life. Not easy, but I am managing.

Oh, and to answer your question on tinnitus treatment... no I have not had any. I try and drone the sound out by always having some noise around me... even the radio on low helps.

I know how difficult a situation it is. I think you should just go with your gut. You are going to get many different people try and pull or push you one way or another, but the bottom line is.. only you can decide what is best for you. Maybe a list of pros and cons for tubes/surgery will help you decide. I think the tubes may indeed help your re-occurring infections...

Last edited by Angela22F; 06-19-2006 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling and add info.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
(female)

Andrea Love HB User

Hi Angela still thinking over what I should do about the ear tubes. Mines would only be one of the temporary ones so there is less chance of permanent damage. Had to go to the doctor's today again. I awoke with a really sore throat and my good ear was throbbing. Yip its confirmed I have now got two ear infections, infected throat, swollen glands and a temperature! I asked the doctor if he could explain to my why I keep getting all these infections and he said I was just more susecptible to them! No wonder they are GPs and not qualified consultants, you would get more sense out of a child. Anyways I asked him about the cracking noise I keep getting in my ear and he has said its mucous behind my ear drum that cant drain properly because of the eustachian tube. He explained again that the tube insertion would then allow the middle ear to dry out and the cracking would subside. Dont know what way to turn over all this. More antibiotics more pain and misery. I think it does now point to my throat as being the main culprit for all the problems though so this may be a step in the right direction when I go back to the hospital. You should ask your doctor about Betnesol. Its stength is 10 times that of Nasonex but you can only take it for six weeks at a time. Its nose drops rather than a spray but I can honestly say I have only been using it for a few days and the tube feels a lot clearer and is only sticking before popping open. Hardly any pressure in ear even with the new ear infections although my ear is very painful. Glad to hear you are trying to get on with a normal life, though it is a very difficult thing to cope with some days.

Andrea x

Old 12-07-2006, 04:02 AM   #10
(female)

Andrea Love HB User

Hi Angela just wondering how you are doing? You have been quiet lately, I hope you are okay. Andrea

Old 12-08-2006, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User
Talking Re: Horrible ENT...

Sorry Andrea, I've been so busy.

I'm still having difficulties. Currently I have sinusitis. Went to the doc with a sore throat and horrible earaches.

He told me my tonsils were swollen, I had fluid on my ears and a irritated throat.

Only this time he decides to tell me that I may have inflamed adenoids and turbinates and that may be causing my trouble on top of e-tube dysfunction.

Whatever the case, I want to avoid anymore tubes in my ear, but the fluid keeps building up. We're goin to keep an eye on it, but I figure I may end up with a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy. Apparently tonsil and adenoid enlargement/disease can cause e-tube dysfunction.

Whatever the case, I don't want to spend much longer with this problem. Altough, sadly, its become the norm for me.

Why it took this long to figure this out I don't know. But I hope it helps someone else who seems to have hit a wall like I did.

How are you doin now? Did you have the tubes placed?

Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
(female)

Andrea Love HB User

I thought it was common knowledge that your adenoids were the most common cause of eustachian tube dysfunction, thats why a lot of children get it. They say adults normally do not have adenoids as they normally shrink. Here's hoping they can now get to the bottom of it for you. Yes I did get the tube inserted and for the first six weeks I wished I hadnt. I lost a lot of my hearing but it has come back although when I speak my voice still sounds distorted which I think is normal. The tinnitus hasnt eased any though I would said its louder a lot of the time. Iv had a runny ear on and off too since getting the tube but I think this may be the fluid that would have been building up behind my ear and giving me all the squeltching noises. The aim is to get a dry ear and so far my ear is still running so I think it may take a bit longer. Im due to see the surgeon tomorrow so I will see what he has to say. I find the tube uncomfortable to say the least I feel it there all the time and sometimes when I yawn it hurts. The only good thing is that I dont have any pressure in my ear now. Im trying to stay positive but sometimes I feel like crying my eyes out but what good would that do! Andrea

Last edited by Andrea Love; 12-11-2006 at 04:58 AM.

Old 12-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Angela,

At 31, I still had adnoids. Now, fortunately I do not. My ENT and allergist said it is more common in people with severe allergies and/or chronic allergic stimuli to retain adnoid and tonsils as adults. Tonsils and adnoids shrink over time do to inactivity in your immune system, but allergies tend to keep your immune system in overdrive and thus keep the tonsils and adnoids active and abnormally large.

I had mine out along side of a full sinus cavity roto job mid-October. I am the healthiest I have been in years. It is looking like I will be able to spend a Christmas with out a sinus infection this year! Knock on wood! My now 4 year old son had his tonsils out in mid-May of this year and adnoids out January of the previous year for chronic ear/sinus/throat infection and pain. Removal of the adnoids alone corrected his partial hearing loss due to fluid retention and the chronic ear infections. Tonsil removal seems to have nipped the chronic bronchitus and sinus infections in the bud. So I am an advocate of yank 'em, they cause more problems than not... and the younger the better. I spent from day 4-14 of my son's recovery time trying to keep him diverted and inactive.. due to the activity bleeding complication risk. He was great as long as we remember the tylenol and ear drops. Me? I felt like someone should put me down and get it over with.. Best of luck on any and all you have done.

Andrea,

My son had one set of ear tubes put in when he had his adnoids removed. It took about a month in a half to treat a lingering anti-biotic resistant ear infection and dry up the extraneous fluids. He returned to perfect hearing once the ears were clear. However, if we had not had his adnoids removed, I firmly believe that he would still be having to go in for tubes routinely. I had chronic ear fluid myself until my adnoids were removed about two months ago. Have you checked into the presence of adnoids still? Have you thought about a tonsillectomy and/or adnoidectomy? I had both done late, but while it is unpleasant the results are more than worth it. Also now my allergy medications seem to be able to effectively control my symptoms. Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 12-11-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
(female)

Andrea Love HB User

MG Hi, Can I ask how long as it from the grommet insertion until the ear completely dried out. Iv had my grommet now two months and still have problems. I feel the tube constantly in my ear and dont know whether the ear is improving or not. ENT checked it out yesterday and said the eardrum is fine as is the tube but Iv had no improvement in the tinnitus, I would say its actually worse now than before. Andrea

Closed Thread