It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

dg_lvr_n_wa74 HB User
tonsil stones

Last night my 12 year old daughter noticed something on her tonsils after feeling what she described as a lump in her throat. I looked at it and then immediately went online to research her symptoms. Everything I read indicated that what she had was tonsil stones. I had never heard of such a thing! We went into the bathroom, armed with a flashlight and q-tips and poked at the spot. The stones were easily removed and it left a hole that soon shrunk after the stones were gone. This proved to be traumatic for both of us. I guess it just freaked us out. Shortly after this happened, I decided to look at MY tonsils, and lo and behold, I discovered a white spot on my tonsils. I couldn't believe it. I actually retrieved more of these stones than were in my daughter's throat. Now I'm horrified! Is this just something that is extremely common and not discovered because the majority of our society rarely looks at their tonsils? More research needs to be done on this topic. I have a feeling it is very common! Does anybody have any answers as to why both of us have these tonsil stones? I'm just horrified and think maybe just to bring it to the medical professions attention we should go to our doctor. Maybe they don't realize how common it is because we aren't bringing it to their attention by removing them with our home remedies.

Old 05-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
(female)

sunshine5050 HB User
Re: tonsil stones

I hate to tell you ,but these stones are a neasance.I have told 3 doc about them . They tell me that it is not serious. The only way to get rid of them is have your tonsils out. They come out of your tonsils. One doc said it is a bactreia and another said it was food particals. If you smell of them ,they smell awful,like sulfur.I hate them,but I am to old to have my tonsils out. I just pick them off with q tips,brush alot,and gargal a lot. A product called Breath Fresh is good to use. I can't see my tonsils,so I can't get them out. Mine cleared up for a while ,now they have come back. I am still looking for answers to deal with this problem. I will let you know if I find out what really works.
sunshine5050

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
(male)

Grunt117 HB User

Tonsil stones do appear to be common, don't they? Maybe they are normal . . . like the nose and mucous?

However, even if they are normal, I think they do harm. I have mild pain in my ear and neck constantly, and swollen lymph nodes in my neck that won't disappear. Like everyone else, the doctors tell me it's no big deal, but if you have a daughter as young as 12, maybe you should slice those tonsils out now, since recovering as a child is MUCH EASIER.

I wish more than anything I'd had my tonsils removed as a kid, since they cause me nothing but aggravation.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
(female)

dg_lvr_n_wa74 HB User

Can you tell me how often the stones reoccur? Is this something I should be looking for on a regular basis?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
(female)

tonsilfamily HB User

I have gotten tonsil stones daily for about 20 years....and I'm 37. I just had my tonsils removed 8 weeks ago....no stones to be seen!

Old 05-31-2006, 02:19 AM   #6
(female)

BeccaBee HB User

Hello everyone. I'm only 15 but I too have had tonsil problems recently. I remember being in second grade and coughing up these things so I guess I've had them for a while. It's only been until now that I was more conscious of them. I cough up large pea-sized tonsil stones and I notice they are back there lodged in my tonsils and I have to press on them and force them out. It digusts me. I worry a lot because one time I coughed one up that was bloody. I also have pain in my ear occasionally and below my ear in my neck. I've been to the doctor for the ear pain when I first started noticing it, and they ended up just giving me sinus medication, which only temporarily stopped the ear pain. It just moved down into my neck. I have a lot of post nasal drip and headaches. The gland that is right below my jaw also feels swollen and achey. Just recently the taste in my mouth has become so horrible that I feel sick all of the time. Brushing, gargling, chewing gum, and eating mints has not helped. I've done internet research and found out that it could have something to do with allergies, so I started taking decongestants and allergy pills to stop it. It didn't help much, other than slightly relieving the sinus pressure in my head. One year a while back I had strep throat 4 times in a row, so I'm assuming that has something to do with the tonsil stones. I'm concerned about getting my tonsils out because I've heard its extremely painful. I'm also worried that I'll get back to the doctor and they will tell me I'm overreacting and my problem will never be fixed. I've had doctors ask me if my tonsils have been out because they are so tiny. If they are so small, why are they causing so much trouble?

Last edited by BeccaBee; 05-31-2006 at 02:27 AM.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 AM   #7
(female)

sunshine5050 HB User

Hi Barbco,There are not many days I don't have them. I did go for a few months without seeing them.Don;t know why though.I do think brushing and garlgling a lot helps. And at least picking the ones you can see out.Oh1 also scraping your tongue gets rid of a lot of bacteria.I really think removing your tonsils is best at least your daughters since she is still young.
sunshine5050

Old 06-01-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
(female)

dg_lvr_n_wa74 HB User

I keep reading that md's are hesitant to remove tonsils in people past their adolescence--what exactly is the reason? I guess I'm wondering because my daughter is constantly battling sinus and allergy problems, and now these tonsil stones. I can't help but think there is some correlation and I'm wondering if I shouldn't pursue getting her tonsils removed while she is still young??

Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
(female)

megaroo83 HB User

I had tonsil stones, but i didn't even realize that's what they were until I went to the doctor about always feeling like i was gagging.

he then diagnosed me with chronic cryptic tonsilitis and said that my tonsils were going to constantly be infected because of this.

So, two months ago, I got my tonsils out and voila, no more gagging.

But I do feel postnasal drip more than i did before. but, its better than randomly coughing up smelly white bits.

Closed Thread