HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Ear, Nose & Throat (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/)
-   -   Ear Infection and So Much More! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/ear-nose-throat/396170-ear-infection-so-much-more.html)

Star Heart 05-30-2006 03:22 AM

Ear Infection and So Much More!

Help!!!!!!!

I don't know what to do anymore. I saw my family Dr last week because I was having terrible congestion and had become hard of hearing in my right ear. He couldn't find anything wrong with my ear but started me on Amoxicillin for possible sinus infection. The antibiotics did nothing and neither did any of the many nasal and sinus decongestants I have tried.

Fast forward to this past Friday and my Left ear started hurting really badly. Couldn't get an appt so I just kind of let it go up until last night when I absolutely could not stand the pain anymore, and the left side of my face started swelling up and it became difficult to open my mouth ( I can only get it to open up to about 1/2 of an inch???)

The ER doc gave me Zithromax for an ear infection, eardrops to heal the eardrum and Vicodin for the pain. Good meds, but he still didn't do anything to address the congestion (which I suspect is causing all of this) and now I can't breathe and nothing comes when I try to blow my nose (but my ears to *pop*!), the vicodin barely takes the edge of the pain and my stomach is a horrid pit of acid from all of these pills and no real food!!!

I know I must sound incredibly whiny and that I really need to give this new antibiotic time to work, but I was wondering if it would be too obnoxious to call my regular Dr today or even an ENT and inquire about this horrid congestion??? Cuz I'm not sure if an antibiotic will really do a whole lot about that part of it - and like I said before, I'm almost certain it's the root cause!!

Suggestions please.... :)

Toot Toot 05-30-2006 08:56 PM

Re: Ear Infection and So Much More!

My heart goes out to you; I hope you're feeling much better very soon! ;) I understand your concern regarding the ER-doctor's treatment. As I've had the displeasure of discovering, the ER seems to deal with the immediate source of pain ONLY and does not delve into anything beyond it. I think you're wise to continue seeking medical treatment. Take care!

Star Heart 05-31-2006 02:47 AM

Thanks for the well wishes, Toot Toot (cute nic btw)

Unfortunately, the pain has switched sides, now it's my RIGHT ear and jaw that's killing me, and my throat looks a bit swollen. There had been cases of Mumps reported in my area in the past few months, so now I'm paranoid - Is it Mumps??? Lol. It shouldn't be as I thought I had the vaccine updated years ago after my son was born...

Anyways, going to call the Dr again today - see if he wants to recheck, just because the Vicodin is the ONLY thing that helps the pain subside. Plus I'm almost completely deaf in BOTH ears, still can't eat because my jaw is so sore and won't open properly! He'll probably just tell me "it's all in my head!"

And he's right....sort of!!! :rolleyes:

twizliz 05-31-2006 07:08 AM

I'd ask for a referall to an ENT it may take a while to get it, but def. worth the wait. There is a very well respected hospital about an hour from me and it took me about 3 months to get in to see one of them, but the appt is next week and I'm sure worth the wait! Feel better!

hillaryb 05-31-2006 07:34 PM

I'm really sorry you feel so crummy, especially since I feel crummy alot lately as well. I had a massive sinus infection last year. My ears made whooshing noises, I was stuffed up, my neck and head and jaw hurt-I was a mess. I put off the doctor until I got a severe case of vertigo which left me in bed for 36 hours and vomiting when I got up. They put me on Bactrim for 6 weeks. I didnt even notice a difference until about the 4th week. This is the best antibiotic for bad sinus infections, and it MUST be taken for a very long time to clear things up. i had an mri done which discoved the sinus infection.

Misty800 06-01-2006 05:42 PM

Zithromax is a good med for conjestion. It will take time for the med to work.

Star Heart 06-04-2006 05:02 PM

Me again :)

I did, in fact, go back to the doctor - who was surprised by how badly my ears were infected! Seems the eardrums were so swollen, the ear canals were actually swollen shut.

It's a little better now. I'm still congested though, and just below my right ear (the more congested side) I can feel a hard mass of about 1 cm in diameter???

I did call the ENT and have an appointment - in JULY!!!!!!!!

Any ideas on what this latest development may be??? I do see my regular doc later this week for a re-check, but Thurs seems sooo far away!!!!!

Toot Toot 06-05-2006 10:30 PM

I'm so glad you're on your way to feeling completely better! I can't really imagine what it could be that you've described, though I am very curious. Please do check in when you gain any more information. Take care! :wave: