It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

weezy1 HB User
Tonsillectomy Scheduled for June 6

I am scheduled for a tonsillectomy using the coblation method next Tuesday. The previous posts have been downright frightening . I know that everyone experiences recovery in different ways but the consensus seems to be that it is a grueling recovery.

My ex-coworkers (I left my job as an accountant to be an at home mom after 12.5 years) are bringing over dishes for the first seven days. I have custody of my four great-nephews: 2 - 8 yr old twins; 1 - five yr old; and 1 -two yr old. They will be taken by their caseworker to a sitter each morning. My husband will care for them in the evening.

Although frightening, I have found previous threads on this topic to me very beneficial. I would not have arranged for the daycare or accepted my friend's offer for food if I had not read them. Also, I have several prayer requests out to a lot of good people. Thanks to all for your postings that have helped me prepare for this surgery.

I am 37 yrs old with a 20 yr old son and am now raising my nephews. I am in Seminary but am taking my first couple of classes thru video correspondence. I got my last paper done earlier this week because I realize that the last thing I will want to do during recovery is a research proposal.

My threshold for pain is a -10 on a scale from 1 to 10. I was wondering if there are any suggestions for pain medication. Please let me know what worked best for you. I am going in Tuesday with a list of the meds I want from my ENT.

On a funny note - I'm glad I'm not superstitious. I saw a morning news segment on how some pregnant mothers are NOT scheduling any C-sestions on June 6. Some of you may remember how the country was gripped with anxiety during the Damien (sp?) movie(s). I will have to hold onto faith that all will be well, wouldn't you say?

Any info on meds would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

Proverbs3130 HB User
Re: Tonsillectomy Scheduled for June 6

First off, you are going to do fine. I have no doubt about it. Second, maybe I'm not the person to answer your question because I have a pain tolerance of about 11, but I found Tylenol with codeine (liquid of course) to be a great pain reliever for the first few days (you must dilute it with water though because it stings your throat). The reason I say "the first few days" is that after about day 3 or 4, I started to feel like my head was at the bottom of the ocean from the codeine. I switched at that point to OTC Extra Strength Tylenol liquid and vicodin 250mg (which by day 4 I didn't have a problem swallowing pills). The switch in medication worked wonders for my groggy head. All I can say is, remember that you are recovering from surgery, no matter how good you start feeling. You really need to conserve your energy for the healing process.

I found that the first 3-4 days I wanted everything ice cold. After that, I could only handle lukewarm stuff. I practically lived on mashed potatoes, chicken broth, jello and pudding.

My big surprise was bleeding on day 13. THAT I did not expect. It was a little scary but it did stop after 20-25 minutes of gargling ice water.

I actually had an additional procedure done (UPPP) that probably made my pain greater that just a tonsillectomy and I'm sure that is where the bleeding was located. Again, you should do fine. Keep us up to day after the procedure. I'll be checking back.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
(female)

enhumanoids HB User

My tonsillectomy was on May 26. I was prescribed amoxicillan and tylenol with codeine. the tylenol codeine didn't help me out too much. it just made me incredibly sick. i went back to the doctor today after two days of bleeding and unbearable pain, even with the pain med. the pain and bleeding began on day 4 of post op. today, i returned to the doctor, thinking everythng was not normal, but he said it was fine. he prescribed me a new pain med- Toradol, and its been great so far!!! i'm able to eat solid soft food. whereaas before i could barely take down liquids. i hope this all helps! Good luck on your surgery

Old 06-03-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
(female)

weezy1 HB User

Thanks for the info. I will keep you guys posted on what happens.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

weezy1 HB User

I have to be at the outpatient center at 7:15 a.m. I am anxious to get it done and over with. I think the anticipation of pain may be worse than the pain itself. At least, that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Everyone have a great night. I'll post again as soon as I am able to.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #6
(female)

Precious27 HB User

Just wanted to wish you all the best and good luck! I had this done one year ago, and despite all the horrible pain and all I suffered through, I am now so glad that it was done!

You'll be fine!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #7
(female)

weezy1 HB User

Well, would you look at who's up this fine morning? I don't sleep well when I go to bed with my mind 'occupied'. I was getting thirsty and ALMOST went to get some water to drink. Then I remembered that I can't have water .

I ended up writing several more paragraphs about my husband but then deleted them all. It's weird but I don't want to be 'found out'. I'm terrified that someone will figure out who I am so I'm reluctant to admit that my marriage, my life is not perfect.

There you go, I've said it. My marriage, my life is not perfect. I don't know if my husband is going to help with the kids in the evenings (they're going to the sitters in the mornings). He doesn't really feel like taking me to the surgery center and he's not staying. I have to ask the nurse to call him when it's over so he can pick me up.

I didn't realize how crazy this was until my friends gave me 'the look' over lunch yesterday. They felt that the fact that he would even allow me to walk to my surgery (it's only a few blocks from my house) and not be there when I woke up, was absolutely insane.

There's some handwriting on the wall that I've not been willing to read. I keep telling myself that our marriage is not perfect, but it works for us. If that is the case, why does my heart tell me that this may be that final nail?

Okay, it's 2:45 a.m. and I'm becoming an emotional basketcase. Of course my husband loves me! He's not going to disappoint me. Heck, he'll even surprise me with how well he takes care of me. I'll bet he's holding my hand when I wake up!!

The blinders are back on people and I'm going back to fantasy world! I'm okay, you're okay. My marriage is not perfect but it works for me. Underneath that nonchalant, passionless, rather cold man is my knight in shining armor. He will not disappoint me this time.

I WILL live happily ever after - even if it kills me!

Old 06-06-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
(female)

andvari HB User

i hope it all turns out alright for you. things find a way of working out in the end somehow. i'm not supersitious either so i say having a surgery today is no biggy. post back when you're able to. i've got mine scheduled in 2 weeks about.. my doctor made it seem like the pain wouldn't be so bad and i'd bounce back in a few days.. i'm hoping! my ent made it sound different. everyone's different though. good luck to you

Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
(female)

weezy1 HB User

I'm back home! I went in at 7:15 and had the surgery at 8:00. So far the worst pain has been the IV. I'm serious! I know rough days are ahead but right now I am so GRATEFUL!

I've had to doses of something called CAPITAL & CODEINE. I think that is simply tylenol with codeine. I've been drinking my water too! I have a very weak bladder so I'm going to the bathroom a lot. I got in trouble from my nurse because I got out of bed crying that I couldn't find my glasses (my husband had gone back to work). Yes, I was literally crying - I can't stand not being able to see plus I think I'm just a tad bit emotional.

Well, she wanted me to call her - even if I had to go to the bathroom. I did once but she actually went in there with me and that was too much for me to handle. So of course I had to sneak in there a couple of times and pray that she wouldn't catch me - she didn't. To watch a person going to the bathroom - PLEEASSSEEE!

It's going to be an AMC evening. As long as the movies stay clean, of course. I also have the entire Left Behind series. Right now I'm on 'Assasins'. I'm going to try to read 'Running With Scissors' but I don't want to be bawling or anything.

The kids come home after five and so does dinner from one of my good friends. My husband has been surprisingly supportive. I did not expect this from him. Read my posts under relationship for more details.

Life is good people! I'll cherish these 'good times' and pray for grace to get me through the bad.

Take care,
weezy1

Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #10
(female)

Proverbs3130 HB User

Welcome Home Weezy1!

You did it! You had me worried there earlier with your post about your hubby and all. I'm glad all went well and you are home and hunkered down. Stay hydrated, no matter how much you have to pee! Ice chips, popsicles and medication are your friends. Sleep as much as possible , you can't feel pain when you are unconscious and it makes the time go by faster.

If you have any questions , post 'em. We'll get back to you ASAP. I'll be checking back frequently. You have a friend in cyberspace.

I'm on day 20, feeling great, still healing, but back to work.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
(female)

weezy1 HB User

Day 2

I definitely know where my throat is today. Still, the pain is minimal. It's about .5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I am taking my meds every four hours and using Chloraseptic spray and Cepacol drops. I usually need them around hour number 3 - 3.5. I am drinking my water, eating popsicles, jello, and vanilla pudding. I love vanilla pudding!

My friend dropped over with a wonderful meal of lasagna, green beans, garlic bread, and brownies for my husband and the kids. They really enjoyed it - especially the brownies. I never make any sweets as I am constantly watching my weight.

They're bringing another meal over tonight. These women are a God-send. Instead of giving me that 'I'm thinking of you' or 'I'm praying for you' line, they are actually DOING something. It means the world to me and I've made a vow to put my faith into action.

I was just as guilty as the next person of giving that 'let me know if you need anything' line. My girlfriend just lost her mother-in-law and someone brought over a meal for her and her family. She realized that it does make a difference when someone ACTS on your behalf. She actually put this my meal plan together. I guess that's what they call paying it forward. I can hardly wait to bless someone in the way that they have blessed me.

This surgery has really opened my eyes about the kindness of others. I'm glad I had it because now I really know what it's like to be in need of something and to be so grateful when that need is met.

It's time for me to put my faith into action instead of just giving lip service.

I'll keep you posted regarding day 3.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
(female)

Proverbs3130 HB User

I'm sure you'll take this new found insight and run with it. A neighbor brought over a casserole for my family too. It was really nice.

I participate in a ministry at my church where we provide hot meals for the first two weeks after a new mother comes home with a baby. They are SO appreciative of not having to shop, cook and clean-up for a couple of weeks while they bond with their new baby. We also do it for those who have been through any kind of struggle (surgery, loss of a loved one, etc.) and they could just use the extra help and time to heal. It's been such a blessing to so many.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
(male)

saveuk HB User

Just thought i would pop in and say high

Im on day 8 now......Everything just about holding together, just got the Fake ear ache at the moment in both ears, was is driving me up the wall, but once im passed this hopefully things will start to get back to normal.....Hope So anyway.

Mind i tryed to go 6 hours with out my meds this evening, so happely slurping on them now, feels like the screaming in my ears has suddenly stopped o the peace of it

Anyway good to find im not the only on going through this at the moment, take care all and lets hope we get better soon ( but not to soon see if we can get another weeks sick note first )

Later People happy slurping

Last edited by saveuk; 06-07-2006 at 04:22 PM.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
(female)

weezy1 HB User

Proverbs3130, I am going to bring this idea to my church. I hope that they are receptive to this.

Thanks saveuk for reminding me that the ear pain is not real but fake. I'm praying that I don't get any at all but thinking of it as fake may help me get through it.

I tried to substitute tylenol instead of tylenol with codeine for my 5:30 dose. That may have been a mistake. Come 9:30 I'm back to the tylenol and codeine. That mistake won't be made again.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll check in tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2006, 05:43 AM   #15
(female)

weezy1 HB User

That's it Harlee! It's not that the tylenol didn't work. It just didn't work for 4 hours! I will remember to take it every two hours, if needed.

Day 3 and still only mild discomfort. I'm bracing myself for the next five days. Could it be that I am one of the fortunate ones who heals with mild to moderate pain. Does EVERYONE get the dreaded ear aches that I've read so much about? I certainly hope not.

My husband is doing a wonderful job. The kids have never worked so hard. He's making them clean up, do the laundry, fix their own dinner plates, and even run their own bath water. I'm glad I can't talk and I'm too tired to save them. I wouldn't have imagined they could do this much but I've never given them the chance. I just did everything.

I'm glad he is here to provide balance and discipline. I raised my son for 12 years without a man around. I grew up without a father as well. I made the mistake of getting in the way whenever my husband tried to correct my son who's now 21. He has his own apartment and holds down a job but I wonder if he could have gone farther (college, etc.) had I gotten out of my husband's way.

I've learned my lesson and now get to see who a father is and what a father does in a family. It is the more excellent way to raise children - if it's a healthy environment.

I still get kind of tense when he gets strict with them. But they never mouth off to him or tell him to shut up. That's my two years old favorite line to me. I've tried to crack down on him but both he and the five year old pretty much think I'm joking all of the time.

I hope I'm well enough to go out and get him a nice Father's Day present.

Please let me know about that ear ache possibility and how to get through it!

weezy1

Closed Thread