It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

lmtickell HB User
Question white spot/lump on tonsil, not stones!

Hi,
I was hoping someone could tell me what they think I might have. I get tonsil stones so I know what they look like but I have had this spot on my left tonsil for almost a year since I first noticed it. At first I thought it was a stone and tried to irrigate it but it stayed there. It looks like a stone and it is the only spot on either of my tonsils. I tried to push it but it is a tiny lump and smaller than a pea. I have seen two dentists and my doc for a sore throat and no one has ever voiced concern about this white/yellowish spot on my tonsil.

I have an ENT appt in 10 days however am scared that it could be serious. I am 30 yr old non smoker and pregnant so I do not think I can have my tonsils removed anytime soon.

Anyone ever have a stone that did not come out or maybe had a flap of skin grow over so it would not come out? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
(male)

joe13 HB User
Re: white spot/lump on tonsil, not stones!

You're not alone!

I've noticed several of these bumps you're experiencing on both my tonsils ever since beginning a regimen of antibiotics last week. (I had an ear infection - 1st one ever and I'm 30).

They won't budge for me, either.

For me, I'm guessing it has to do with the medicine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
(female)

andvari HB User

i had one that stuck around for 2 months.. it did eventually come out in my sleep though. i'm not sure if it's the same or not. i do believe mine was a tonsil stone. yours may be a tonsil stone but could it be that it's just very big and very deep within the tonsil? so even if you try to take it out, it won't budge, since it's lodge in there quite well. that's all i can really think of. sorry

Old 06-06-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

Before I had my tonsils removed 6 years ago, I had a few tonsil stones that just wouldn't move. I'd try using my fingers or a q-tip, gargling and nothing would work and then one day a piece would break off -- ewww nasty and eventually it'd dislodge in pieces.

I finally decided to have my tonsils removed when it got to the point that I was extracting tonsil stones dailiy, nothing would seem to work and my tonsils would bleed. Freaked me out.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
(female)

wiltingflower HB User

I definitely have this too. I brought it to my ENT's attention and he just described it as 'local inflammation'. Ok that didn't help me much. It still didn't seem like it should be there. I have had it there as well for almost a year and it changes appearance as well. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's large (like these past few days VERY noticeable.) I, too have wondered if it's a tonsil stone trying to get out but can't. It's on the surface of the tonsil though not coming from a crypt, i didn't know they could do that. ??

Old 06-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #6
(female)

levidoll HB User

Yup - about once a year I get that white spot on my right tonsil - has happened for about five years now. Each time ENT doc removes it - he says I have a pit (crypt) on my tonsil which fills with old food - and eventually starts to smell, and he removes the food which is the white spot that you can see. He then cauterises the pit and it stays healed for about a year before opening up again and collecting food. Doc says that rather than keep going through this harmless routine I ought to think about having tonsils out but at 46 don't really want to.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I can't believe a doctor would do something like that. Tonsil stones aren't food! They are white blood cells (hardened pus) that comes from deep down in your tonsils. When I had my tonsils removed 6 years ago, my ENT told me that the infection on my right side went very deep -- that it was FULL of nasty white curds --- the area on my right side was much larger than the other side -- golf ball sized?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
(male)

JesseA HB User

She said it ISNT stones, so why is everyone talking about stones?

I have an off-white very very small lump on my right tonsil as well. Its been there for about 2 years I think.

I went to the dr regarding sinuses (and was diagnosed with post nasal) a few years back and she noticed the bump and told me I had tonstil stones; when I got home I realized what bump she was talking about - Nope, its not a stone. I get stones because of my post nasal, and this off-whte lump is NOT a stone.

It doesnt change size or appearance, and i cant feel that its there. i can only see it. However, if i touch it wth a qtip and bother it, i can feel it when i swallow for a bit... then that sensation goes away.

Im starting to finally get worried about it now that ive realized how long its actually been there.

Ive tried peeling it away just to make sure it wasnt a stone and it definitely is not.

I have big crypts in my tonsils because i used to get tonsilitis all the time, come to think of it, i think this white spot developed after a tonsilits episode.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #9
(female)

bp21 HB User

I too just a day ago noticed a lump, not a stone as I have those too unfortunately. I'm a bit worried and thinking I should have it checked. It might just be a big stone that is under some tissue? So I might wait and see for a bit.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
(male)

JesseA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp21 View Post
I too just a day ago noticed a lump, not a stone as I have those too unfortunately. I'm a bit worried and thinking I should have it checked. It might just be a big stone that is under some tissue? So I might wait and see for a bit.
I think this might be it. Because a few weeks after I wrote my above post, my white spot that had been there for 2 years fell off. But, it "grows" back in the same spot, and now i just take a qtip and rub the spot a few times til the white comes of.

With that said, my white spot very well could have been stone build up under the tissue and it took 2 years to bust through, and now that it has busted through, residue gets stuck in the small hole it created but now can be whiped away, whereas before it was under some skin.

Closed Thread