It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
(male)

Scout- HB User
Severe pain in upper part right side of jaw/ear, infected?

Hi all,

I woke up yesterday and had a fullness in my right ear, it feels like it's semi-blocked and in a quiet room I hear a 'swishing' sound in that ear. i also cannot open my more than the size of my thumb with SEVERE pain in my right upper jaw/ear - I cannot yawn for example. If I push down gently on the area near that ear (in line with my eye but right next to the ear) it also hurts quite a lot. My right eye and the right side of my head also hurt.

Is this an ear infection, or is it something more serious? I'm very worried and can't eat (because of my jaw) can't sleep because it hurts a lot when I lay down. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

A Concerned, Scout

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Midget HB User
Re: Severe pain in upper part right side of jaw/ear, infected?

Sounds like a bad ear infection...go to the doc, and get your Antibiotics. In the mean time, maybe try putting some hot packs or something around the area (wrapped in a towell, so you don't burn yuorself) to relieve the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2006, 03:06 AM   #3
(male)

Scout- HB User
Re: Severe pain in upper part right side of jaw/ear, infected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget
Sounds like a bad ear infection...go to the doc, and get your Antibiotics. In the mean time, maybe try putting some hot packs or something around the area (wrapped in a towell, so you don't burn yuorself) to relieve the pain.
Thanks for your reply, I tried to respond last night, but was in touch much pain to sit upright and type. I had an awful night with this ear, after I made my post I tried to get some sleep, I managed about an hour and when I woke up, I was in absolute agony! I had a wet towel over my right ear and took the strongest painkillers I have.

The pain was localised and no longer spread across my upper jaw and eye (as well as the ear) it is all now actually in my ear. It is extremely sensitive to touch and I had a high temprature last night as well.

I'm typing this after a decent night's sleep (first time in two days) and although I am in pain, it is nowhere near as bad as it was last night - is it safe to assume the worst of this is over or is this bit a relapse before it gets bad again? I can't get to a doctor's until tomorrow and really hope I don't have to go through another night like yesterday's!!

I still cannot open my mouth further than the size of my thumb without severe pain in that inner ear - does this all sound typical of an ear infection? Also, what happens if I leave this untreated and let it heal and go away by itself - am I causing myself damage if I do that?

Thanks again for your first reply, hope you can help again

Scout

Closed Thread