It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 AM   #1
(male)

SirMack HB User
Ruptured Ear Drum? *very* painful, yellowish/blood drainage, can't hear at all, help!

Well, I have been having pain in my ears and this morning when I woke up I noticed there was blood/pus stains on my pillow, and my hearing has gotten muffled, like I have an ear plug in my left ear.

Should I be worried/go to a doctor? Or do you guys think it'll get better on its own?

its still very painful and depending how I lay down at night I can hear fluids shifting in my ear going from totally blocking my hearing to my hearing not being so bad.

It has been like this for 2 days now, how much longer before it gets better? Been taking Motrin/Aleve for the pain.

BTW, if I was in the US it would be an easy decision, go to the doctor, but I am currently in Japan and have no idea where to even find a hospital, currently researching just in case.

Look forward to your responses.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
(male)

ofacto HB User
Re: Ruptured Ear Drum? *very* painful, yellowish/blood drainage, can't hear at all, help!

If it is a rupture, it will heal on its own in a few weeks (months), but the problem is that it could get infected (it might be already since you are noticing discharge). You should really get it looked at because this can lead to permanent hearing loss.

The American Embassy in Japan lists doctors/hospitals with English Speaking staff:

[url]http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-7119.html[/url]

Another website with helpful info
[url]http://homepage3.nifty.com/amdack/english/E-index.html[/url]

Last edited by ofacto; 06-26-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
(male)

SirMack HB User
Re: Ruptured Ear Drum? *very* painful, yellowish/blood drainage, can't hear at all, h

Just an update, I woke up this morning, and there was a clear discharge, which I am hoping is better, and the pain is nearly gone, although my hearing is muffled. I'm guessing it burst all the way and the fluid drained.

I don't have a fever or anything of the sort, and if I plug my nose and blow a little my hearing improves quite a bit, but is still slightly muffled.

I'm guessing there is no need to see a doctor, as I was going to go find a hospital, but with the pain gone i'm guessing its just a matter of time before it heals. I will probably follow-up with my doctor in a few weeks when I return to the states.

What do you guys think? Should I still track down a local japanese ENT?

Like I said, the dischrage this morning on my pillow was a clearish color, the pain is nearly gone, besides a very dull occasional ache, and my hearing is slightly muffled.

I appreciate all the help! Look forward to your responses!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
(male)

cornburner HB User
Re: Ruptured Ear Drum? *very* painful, yellowish/blood drainage, can't hear at all, help!

I've lost the hearing in one ear with 25% lost in the other----READ MY LIPS-find a doctor NOW. You can't realize what it's like with only partial hearing, I watch things as I don't want to lose the other. If the drum did rupture, you may have an infection behind the ear drum. Quit the holding nose bit, you'll only cause more damage. Blow you nose softly will do the same thing. Mine was a virus, somehow severed a nerve,and have been told by Mayo Clinic there is no hearing aide to help this. I have a ringing in my head 24 hrs a day 365 ayr......take care

Old 06-29-2006, 11:25 PM   #5
(female)

kellie84 HB User

Hey, I know EXACTLY what you are going through. A few weeks ago i was having severe ear aches for a few days then one night my ear just 'blocked' up so I went to the ER as nothing was helping the pain and it worried me a little bit. I had a ear infection so the doc prescribed me Biaxin twice a day for 10 days and some percocets for the pain. Then about two days later I noticed blood coming out of my ear so I went back to the doc and I did indeed have a ruptured ear drum but the good news when it rupteres the pain actually goes away for the most part anyway. If you don't know when you have an ear infection fluid builds up in the ear canal causing you to lose hearing and feeling 'full' or swollen and when it ruptures it gives it a chance to dain which is why you are having some discharge. I only had blood for a day and then some fluid for about 3 or so days it just felt constantly wet and I kept wanting to stick my finger in there to clean it out but don't. There is nothing you can do to speed up healing but he said not to put Q tips in my ear just wipe with a damp cloth around it and try not ot get any water in it. It takes about 6 weeks to heal completly but some people are sooner and for some it takes longer. Its been about 3 weeks for me now and about a week ago my ear didn't feel swoolen or blocked up anymore but I still had limited hearing out of it. Now I basically have all my hearing back for the most part. But I am actually getting sick again and having earaches AGAIN so I am going to go back to the doc so I don't have to go though this again. It's not very fun I would definitley go to the doc to get meds It will speed up the healing and by the sounds of it you DO have an infection. Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Take care.

Last edited by kellie84; 06-29-2006 at 11:34 PM.

Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
(male)

SirMack HB User
Re: Ruptured Ear Drum? *very* painful, yellowish/blood drainage, can't hear at all, h

Just an update, my ear ache has totally gone, the only thing I have left is an itching feeling and my hearing is SLIGHTLY muffled. There is no more discharge and it doesn't feel as full as it did a few days ago. Everyday my hearing seems to get better.

I'm guessing that the itchy feeling is due to the ear drum and ear canal healing. It seems that the middle ear infection healed first as the pain deep inside went away and then it went to an outer ear infection where it hurt in the canal itself.

I will most likely follow-up with my doctor when I return to the states in a few weeks. If the pain returns I will be sure to immediately go to an ENT.

I'm guessing I will be safe, although permanent hearing loss was a concern! I had an intense ringing in the ear when the ear drum ruptured but it has since gone away, although I have always had Tinitus so I will always have a ringing in the ears.

Closed Thread