It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Ear, Nose & Throat Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

Leelee28 HB UserLeelee28 HB User
activities after tonsillectomy

I'm having my tonsils and adenoids removed on June 29th. On July 7th my bf is having a party and I really want to go...he lives an hour away and we don't get to see each other much cuz of summer. That's 9th day of recovery.....anyone think I can do it!?!

I read such scary things on here...but I wonder if these are special cases. My doc said after the 4th day I can start incorporating activites as I feel fit and I'm so determined to make this go quickly.

I don't care if I can talk much.. I want to see him! Is this a lost cause? Has anyone had "good" experiences after a tonsillectomy? I'm TOTALLY freaked right now I can hardly stand it!

PLEASE!!! Give me some hope!

Oh and does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to make the healing go as fast and well as possible?! I know drinking LOTS is important...but I'll take any suggestions on that too!

Last edited by Leelee28; 06-27-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Old 06-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
(female)

falling_rain HB User
Re: activities after tonsillectomy

Hi there!

I think this largely depends on your age. I'm 18, and it's day 6-7 for me, I had mine out on the 22nd, in the late evening. I'm actually feeling a lot better, just some discomfort and ear pain, but otherwise I'm able to talk (a little) and I'm back on solid food. I would be able to travel an hour's journey, on a safe relatively smooth transport service, and be alright, but i wouldn't fare very well afterwards. (I'm going back to school this Friday, that will be my 9th day.) I wouldn't make the trip unless it was a total emergency, definitely.

It seems like you don't get to see him that often, so I know you want to grab every chance, but a journey like that can't be good for you, no matter how much better you're feeling, and I'd definitely advise you to stay home and rest for as long as you can.

And...don't believe everything your doctor says. Mine said I'd be in school by Day 3 and I wasn't even out of BED by that day. he was *nuts* to say that.

Healing goes faster if you let yourself heal, and ya do that by resting.

Good luck, hope you figure things out!

~Rain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

AMacho426 HB User

Well you'll probably be in pain, but that doesn't mean you can't go and just hang out. I was walking around and fully functioning (minus talking) the entire time...never laid up in bed or anything like that. As long as you don't do anything physically exerting, I'm sure you'll be fine to go and hang out. You just might not feel like eating or talking!

Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

pandaa HB User

I think you should be fine. I'm 17 and I had my tonsils out last year. By day 7 I was eating hard food. A word of advice, during the first few days of recovery, don't talk much... I was talking on the phone on, I think the 2nd or 3rd day, and my throat started bleeding. I had to gargle ice water... not fun. If you just rest up until the party, you should feel good to go.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You really don't want to get up and going too soon after surgery because you can still have severe bleeding. I don't remember exactly up til which day the potential is there, but I think it's up to like day 15 or something that you really need to watch it.

The best way to make the quickest recovery with little to no complications is to literally do nothing for at least 2 weeks if possible, but 3 weeks if at all possible. For me, last year, it took me at least 4 weeks to really get up and going for real again, but I unfortunately had to go back to work after just 2 weeks. But had I not taken those 14 days to really take care of myself, I'm sure I would have been worse off.

I'm just telling you to be careful. I personally wouldn't put my health at risk for anyone. My boyfriend in fact, would change his plans and come see me if I just had surgery rather than make me come and see him so soon afterwards. But see, I have this really awesome boyfriend who loves me and would rather have me be well and not hemmoraging from a botched recovery.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
(female)

my boyfriend is a saint and if he could get off of work he'd come.

it's our friend's birthday and he's throwing a party for him and i would get to see aaaalllll of my friends from school if I can go.
otherwise he'd be here.

don't mean to get so defensive...but to be insulting in a situation you know nothing about is kind of rude.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

pandaa HB User

Yeah that seemed kinda rude to me too lol...
just listen to me lol, I'm tellin ya... you can def go to that party and be fine.
It really sucks eatin just stuff like popsicles for like a week tho.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 AM   #8
(female)

thank ya much!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I wasn't intending it to be rude or implying, but I understand how you could come to that conclusion. I apologize for making you feel bad.

I'm just trying to say that you need to be really careful. That's the bottom line. My main concern after my surgery was to prevent any and all bleeding. I managed to do that by not doing any activity whatsoever for 14 days. I didn't leave my house (except to go to my followup dr. appt.). You gotta take this surgery very seriously. It's got potential for major bleeding for you if you're not careful.

I understand you want to see him, and I would too if I were you. It's just a shame that he couldn't get that day off and schedule the party for the week afterwards or something, because that would actually work out better for you. Regardless of anything else, people around you really need to understand that this surgery is serious enough that you have to take the best possible care of you that you possibly can. Until your days of potential bleeding have past. I'm pretty sure I remember it was up until day 15 that you have to be extra careful.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
(female)

Proverbs3130 HB User

I'm not sure if age has much to do with the bleeding aspect of the surgery. I'm no spring chicken so I took it extremely easy for 12 days and on day 13 I had an incredibly scary bleeding episode that totally blindsided me. I wasn't doing anything strenuous at all; just taking a few things out of the fridge for dinner when the bleeding started.

Although, I'm sure if you asked your doctor's advice, he/she would say, "stay put". However, if you're a young'un and still determined to go...make sure you have access to unlimited amounts of ice/ice water to gargle if you start bleeding and are close enough to get to an emergency room quickly (like 15-20 minutes) if the bleeding doesn't stop after 15 minutes or so. With continuous gargling with ice/ice water, it took 25 minutes for my bleeding to stop completely. My hubby had the doctor on the phone and we were seconds away from heading out the door to the ER for emergency surgery.

And not to get gross, but I must inform you from personal experience that we are talking massive amounts of blood gushing from your mouth and possibily your nose with blood accumulating in your windpipe forming clots that have to be hacked up. It's not a pretty sight and can get pretty messy so don't wear any clothing that you wouldn't want ruined.

Yes, I realize that not everyone experiences bleeding or has an experience such as mine, but, on the other hand, I have read many experiences here that ended in the surgery room and I was almost there at a time in my recovery when I thought I was "out of danger".

Ultimately, the choice is yours and if you're willing to take the risk...party on!

Old 07-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
(female)

lisainphilly HB User

Go Have Fun!

I'm four days post surgery. My doc said it was the worst case he had ever seen, because all of the scar tissue and skin had fused my tonsills to the inside of my throat. the operation took 3 hours and I wound up in intensive care overnight because I swelled up it was so hard to breath. BUT

I'm feeling pretty good now. If I were in your shoes, I'd go to the party. I just wouldn't talk much, and don't have any sex, cause I know that'll make you bleed. I'm recovering really fast, just a little sore throat, and as long as I shut up, I'm good to go. Haven't even taken any pain meds in a while and you know what?

I'm 39. You're younger. If you feel up to it, go ahead and go. if God forbid you start to bleed or something, just go to the local ER, but I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
(female)

thanks for everyone's input

it's day 6 for me and i'm FINALLY able to get up and walk around and stuff. I even went to the fireworks with my friends....but man am I tired now. lol

I'm just gunna take things as they come and probably stay home unless the next 3 days go well.

But i appreciate everyone's concern and advice and i'll let y'all know how it goes!

Closed Thread